Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF cleaning - it's worth?

Views : 3325

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2020, 15:56   #11
ionprodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
After cleaning and refitting you will need to update the additive module/ECM to let it know that the DPF has been 'replaced'
- can this be done without special hardware/software?
ionprodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 16:33   #12
Dancake
Premier Member

A friendly forum member or a suitably equipped garage will be able to do this with the right diagnostic vehicle interface equipment (i.e it needs to be reset with a computer)
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 01:41   #13
ALEXhasV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionprodan View Post
- can this be done without special hardware/software?
Try this group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1921...193/?ref=share

You can find a lot of VIDA owners nearby that are happy to help. I found one 20 mins away from me and he will only charge me 10 quid for resetting my dpf fluid level and a full diagnosis.
ALEXhasV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 10:39   #14
BradenWalker

It seems to me that there are so many purification systems now. That said, the good old-fashioned approach is still relevant. Personally, I like it when I get a full dry-cleaning of the interior and at the same time wash the body.
BradenWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 21:48   #15
Damoh89

Drr we’repends how you want to go you can get filter hollwed out and car sensors turned off by some garages,I’m not sure how it goes on mot?passe nct here in Ireland they just do visual make sure all sensors are still connected and looks like the dof is there,

Or I think the edd china guys terra clean do mobile dpf cleaning,at least they do here?possibly called different name in uk?they take out some sensors spray some cleaner in leave it a while blow compressed air in

Or last they can actually take filter off the car,and wash it in a special dish washer kind of machine
Damoh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 07:28   #16
Moonblood

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I've been dealing with diesel engines for a while now, and I've had to deal with DPF cleaning quite a bit. One thing I've learned is that after cleaning and refitting the DPF, it's crucial to update the additive module/ECM to ensure the vehicle runs smoothly. That being said, I've found that ford dpf cleaning services are typically reliable when it comes to this kind of thing. It's important to stay on top of maintenance to ensure your engine continues to perform optimally.
Moonblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 13:01   #17
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionprodan View Post
Hi there! Bought a Volvo V50 1.6d DRIVe (2010) two months ago for £1500 with 148.000 miles on board. Never bought a car before, and I think it wasn't the best car I could buy, but I can't go back in time. When I bought it, I didn't see any issues, the body is in really good conditions. Anyway, in a few days, I went to auto service because there was a small stone between brake pad and brake and there was a noise, but nothing serious. Also, they said that I need to replace injection seals and I did it for £250 dpf-cleaner.co.uk. I drove roughly 100 miles since I bought the car, and "Engine service required" appeared on my dashboard. I went to auto service again and they said that DPF filter must be replaced and this will cost me £650. I searched on the internet and I found there are some people who clean it and it could cost up to £320 or I can use some special liquids in diesel to clean the filter, so I bought three different DPF cleaners, and once I drove roughly 30 miles on motorway with 3rd gear with 50 mph speed, but it didn't help. I would ask your opinion it worth to clean it or to try to sell the car and buy a Honda Jazz is a better option?
Any recommendations for cleaning sprays to use without removing dpf?
I know ill most likely have to remove dpf but want to take the chance with a spray just incase. Because i cannot be ****d to remove it if im honest. Allready removed sensor off top of dpf so just looking for any reccomendations on a spray.
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 15:18   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigtange View Post
Any recommendations for cleaning sprays to use without removing dpf?
I know ill most likely have to remove dpf but want to take the chance with a spray just incase. Because i cannot be ****d to remove it if im honest. Allready removed sensor off top of dpf so just looking for any reccomendations on a spray.
Not really, cleaning sprays don't really work. I wouldn't bother wasting your time with them. There's no need to use them if the car is driven properly...

You need to bring the car on a decent motorway drive for at least 20 minutes at a constant speed and let it clear the soot naturally via DPF regeneration. If the car isn't regularly driven on the motorway, you should do this at least once a month to prevent soot building up and blocking the DPF.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 12:22   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Not really, cleaning sprays don't really work. I wouldn't bother wasting your time with them. There's no need to use them if the car is driven properly...

You need to bring the car on a decent motorway drive for at least 20 minutes at a constant speed and let it clear the soot naturally via DPF regeneration. If the car isn't regularly driven on the motorway, you should do this at least once a month to prevent soot building up and blocking the DPF.
Very true , and you don't need a motorway just a decent run at 50 mph in top gear for 20 + minutes is enough to self regenerate if it is needed.