Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V6 not starting

Views : 10467

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2024, 11:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
God news on the vinyl roof!

As for the steering rack, i think they're the same as the 240 models of the same age so you could probably find on on ebay , possibly UK but almost certainly Germany, France or similar. Also there's a Swedish site similar to ebay but i can't think of the name of it just now, i've had a few bargains from it on things that are NLA anywhere else on the planet.
However, would a RHD conversion be an idea or do you plan on using it for touring in Europe?

Could also be worth trying https://www.gcp.se/ for a repair kit or even a rack but it would be new prices from Volvo - could be collected from your local Vlvo dealer though, even ordered by them.
Many thanks for your reply as usual Just had a look on Tradera and they have the seals listed.
Plenty in the USA but freight kills it, a friend from Kentucky is visiting me in March, I think he might bulk at the length of the cabin baggage
I do have a friend whos family live in Sweden, and another from France. It's amazing how I need a little memory jog to get the ball rolling sometimes.
Thanks again guys

Planned tour of Poland, Lithuania etc once the car is roadworthy.
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 18:43   #52

I have been spending a little time on the 262 today, trying to sort out the vacuum pipes.
One of the lines goes into a solenoid type switch on top of the rocker cover, where does this other pipe go to?
Many thanks
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240205_180245.jpg (191.9 KB, 7 views)
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 22:51   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
I have been spending a little time on the 262 today, trying to sort out the vacuum pipes.
One of the lines goes into a solenoid type switch on top of the rocker cover, where does this other pipe go to?
Many thanks
Peter
Bottom of the air cleaner perhaps?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 12:59   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Bottom of the air cleaner perhaps?
Thank you for your replay

No, there's only one pipe going to the air cleaner, and that's from the oil filler cap. I have a spare air cleaner housing and checked that it didn't have a broken off lug. But all good.
It's a bit of a mystery. I've tried googling it, but most of the pictures are too blurry if you zoom in.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 20:29   #55

Smile

I connected this wayward vacuum pipe to the other side of the intake using a 'Y' piece. cranked the car, no start, tried again, and again, then resorted to doing the unthinkable and spraying down the intake, nothing, not even a fire.
I have fuel at the pump, at the fuel distributor and at the end of the injectors. I have spark at the plugs, still it wouldn't even fire. However with removing that one plug to check for spark, I noticed a tell tail sign of dampness, so ended up removing all the plugs, wire brushed them, sprayed them with a little electrical cleaner and blew them dry with the air, refitted them and tried again to start her up. Fired instantly and ran, though a little rough, but the good news is, it idled at 750 rpm but still running rich. I think replacing all the perished vacuum pipes has helped. I will be adjusting the fuel mixture screw this weekend with the help from my neighbour. So progress.
I filled it with anti-freeze only to hear water running out onto the concrete nearly as fast as it was poured in!
A quick look underneath and the anti-freeze was leaking out behind the right side exhaust manifold at the front. Not good, I guess there is a popped core plug, or rusted out one? Well it never rains........
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 20:13   #56

More work on the Volvo tonight, didn't take my neighbour long to alter the mixture screw, the said there's something else not right with this. He pulled the HT lead out of the coil, instantly said, 'you got another coil'? We swap the coil, car started and ran a lot better. There is a miss at idle and the miss carries on until 3000 rpm's then seems to clear.
Still needs a bit of work doing to trace the miss and sort the bad water leak. But progressing slowly.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 20:50   #57

I forgot to ask if anyone knows where the other outlet pipe goes to on this vacuum pump? Only discovered tonight that the outlet pipe was blocked off with a rubber bung.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240208_190226.jpg (193.8 KB, 8 views)
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 14:53   #58

Its the outlet side of the vacuum pump it should be tapered with a cut across the end. being blocked off it may not be sucking any vacuum for the brake servo and air con controls
140 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 140 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 15:20   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 140 View Post
Its the outlet side of the vacuum pump it should be tapered with a cut across the end. being blocked off it may not be sucking any vacuum for the brake servo and air con controls
Many thanks for that, the outlet was blocked off. One side is Teed into the brake booster hose, that other one was the part that was blocked. If you put the rubber cap off, you can feel it kind of sucking. The brake pedal is a little hard to push. Where does it suck the vacuum from, or is it just from the air around the engine bay?
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 20:19   #60

Today I have done a compression test on the 262c and all pots were 160psi, amazed at this as not a 1lb difference. so all seems good on this part.
New injectors were fitted November 21, zero miles since, still running rich and engine flooding with fuel. I did try adjusting the mixture as advised by Dave, which did make a big difference, as it is idling now when first started, though after 30 seconds it starts to hunt badly and running rough, readjusted the mixture screw, improving just a little more. I decided then I had better top up the water as I hadn't since checking the thermostat. Filled with water, only to have it leak out as fast as it was going in
Core plug under the manifold on the right bank. We removed the manifold and rusted core plug, then decided to check the HT leads as the last cylinder on the right bank wasn't firing properly due to wet plug. Mission getting that plug out.
Then we decided to remove the distributor cap, then the fun started. However to make this easier I removed the injection completely to find the cap held on with a cable tie on one side and a clip on the other and a very loose fitting cap. snipped the cable tie, unclipped the clip to find the cap had a large crack in it. Distributor is now out, so I can replace the missing clip.
On the parts to buy list, dissy cap, clip for dissy cap, new HT leads and core plugs.
One day, I'll get this Volvo on the road.
And now to the parts wanted posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240217_201418.jpg (74.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by 1978; Feb 17th, 2024 at 20:22.