Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous

Views : 17762

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: XC70 Dipped Beam Performance
Great - no problem 25 22.32%
Not bad - ok for me 17 15.18%
Could be better 51 45.54%
Downright Dangerous 19 16.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30th, 2016, 23:02   #51
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleidboy View Post
Having just read this thread and driven my 2010 XC70 in the dark for the first time tonight (I've only had the car ten days), I thought the dipped beams could be better. Sitting about five car lengths behind the car in front, my dips did not illuminate the number plate of the car in front! Not being too familiar with all the replacement bulbs that are available, I watched volvosweden's youtube on replacing his H11 (55w) headlamp bulbs with H9's (65w) - would this be allowed in the UK? Luckily nowadays I don't do to much night driving.
No, it would be illegal to fit a bulb with an output in excess of 55W. If you want really good illumination, fit an after-market HID kit (High Intensity gas Discharge). The worry with overrating incandescent bulbs is that you put undue electrical stress on the wiring feeds and can melt the cables. HID kits are rated at 55W and will not damage the wiring.

If your car has self levelling beams and headlight washers, an HID installation would be legal but if it doesn't, it's not. The self levelling thing is balmy as coming over an incline in the road the lights hit the sky and then sweep down to road level as the car rises and falls and no amount of self levelling stops this happening. BMWs coming over such road features will always blind you with their factory fitted HID lights so I never took that requirement seriously. Police might look for headlight washers but are unlikely to have the means to check for self levelling. If your lights are well adjusted they won't know if the HIDs are OEM or not. I did this, as I said in my previous posting, on a Peugeot and felt that illegal bright was infinitely safer than legal dim!

Uprated halogen incandescent bulbs will always have a shorter life. Bosch confirmed to me that they didn't expect their "bright" bulbs to last and if you read the small print on their packaging, they actually give the bulbs a very short life. The bulbs are brighter because the resistance of the filament is higher and it glows hotter and brighter but the excess heat kills the bulb.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 12:35   #52
Gazzza

Quick update regards HID kits

These now fall into the MOT....
and as such if fitted MUST HAVE WASH WIPE head light mechanism fitted

BE WARNED
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 12:47   #53
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
Quick update regards HID kits

These now fall into the MOT....
and as such if fitted MUST HAVE WASH WIPE head light mechanism fitted

BE WARNED
Not true for the MOT Test if you read the tester's manual ... as long as the beam pattern is correct as per any other type of headlamp .

Construction and use regulations , well that is a different matter .
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 12:52   #54
br1anuk

Default Led

Just an update to this thread, I now have a Mercedes E-Class estate which is fitted with LED headlights.
They are much better than the Xenon ones and I guess much cheaper to replace when they go wrong and you're not running out of screenwash every week because they don't need headlight washers.
br1anuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 14:45   #55
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1anuk View Post
They are much better than the Xenon ones and I guess much cheaper to replace when they go wrong
You might be in for a rude awakening. The LEDs should not need replacing in the life of the car. However, they are an integral part of the headlamp assembly and therefore unlike an Xenon where you can replace a capsule (£45 a piece for Osram's top model) or a ballast (£whatever volvo see fit to charge) you will have to replace the entire headlamp unit.

Quote:
you're not running out of screenwash every week because they don't need headlight washers.
Possibly in a legal sense, but the need for headlamp washers is not to do with the technology but the light output - dirt on the headlamp lens diffracts the light out in different directions causing glare.

I have noticed that the current Volvo V40 with LED headlights is particularly bad in this regard.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 23:41   #56
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I've driven cars with downright dangerously dim headlights and my XC70 isn't one of them I found that my XC70 lights were set too low and didn't illuminate far enough ahead but once I'd given the headlight vertical adjusters a couple of turns, the lights throw far enough ahead to light the road without blinding oncoming drivers and I'm satisfied with them.
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 17:21   #57
isleaiw
Master Member

I have same lights and find them poor on dipped beam - the Volvo follows a Golf GTi, A6 and Mini all with LED lights. Due an MOT soon so will get them checked then...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 16:10   #58
marjmr

Default XC70 2004 Headlamps dipped beam very poor

Hi List - In the past I Have adjusted low beam headlamps and - Fitted max possible wattage bulbs but still consider the lights to be unfit for purpose - Sad because I love this car and have had it some 12 years . My question is - is there a way I can legally supplement/complement my low beams by fitting additional driving lights set at a low beam angle ? Cheers - John
marjmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 18:07   #59
Puffster

I've just upgraded mine to LED - job done
Puffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 21:25   #60
daveherns

If you've had the car 12 years do you have plastic lenses that have gone cloudy? Try one of the polishing kits.
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote