Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 64 plate New Exhaust System??

Views : 2398

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2015, 16:45   #1
Panther22

Default V40 64 plate New Exhaust System??

My V40 D4 lux nav on a 64 plate went in for its first service today. I got a call from the main dealer saying that after the service and test drive an engine fault light came on. This has never happened to me in the 6 months I have had it, but they said its a known fault and has something to do with the exhaust system, they will be keeping it in an extra day to fit a new exhaust system tommorow.

They have done a software update as part of there standard service which will also correct the fault with the tire pressure warning light causing the central locking to not work (known fault). I was wondering if this has caused/shown the engine fault, or if the fault has always been there but not came to light till they did a software update. But when I asked I was told "no", the update didnt cause or show an exisiting fault, that it has only just happened.

Im concerend that I had no problems with my car, then they have it for one day and suddenly I got this problem. A new exhaust system sounds like a big problem to me??? for a year old car. Or am I just worrying about nothing and it is a common fault? or is anybody else aware of this fault?

This is the main volvo dealer for my area.

Last edited by Panther22; Sep 7th, 2015 at 17:10. Reason: typo
Panther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 17:58   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

What engine??
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 19:16   #3
Panther22

???

2 litre diesel, or do u mean if its the old 5 cyl or new 4 cyl? cause im not sure but its in the zero road tax band.
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 13:48   #4
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther22 View Post
???

2 litre diesel, or do u mean if its the old 5 cyl or new 4 cyl? cause im not sure but its in the zero road tax band.
You have the new 4cyl VEA I would assume given the zero tax band, and yours must be the first with an EGR problem!
I'm sorry sarcasm is hard to pull off on a forum.

There is a long thread in XC60 forum about this issue if you want to get up to speed. To be honest just let them replace the part and carry on you will be fine, but if you notice any difference in performance I would be interested to know.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 16:52   #5
Panther22

Thanks for the info.

It seems the secretary who called me to inform me of the fault didn`t explain it very well and just said the engine fault light was to do with the exhaust system and it needed replaacing.

After picking up the car today the fault was engine EGR cooler blocked. Which they have now replaced. Hope this is not a recuring fault, as it cost £536 to fix, I didnt have to pay because its covered under the warranty but still after the 3 yrs warranty runs out????

Not sure what else they have done besides the full service, but the car now drives like a dream (and i thought it was great before) and is like a rocket. Before I always thought it felt a little sluggish pulling away from a stand still.

Again thanks for the help and replies.

PS: could you post a link to the thread? I had a look but could only find one post regarding EGR in XC60 forum.

Last edited by Panther22; Sep 8th, 2015 at 17:10.
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 20:53   #6
Marc01

The link to the thread http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

To sum it up, the D4 VEA is a relatively new engine and as such there have been some teething issues affecting a number of cars this exact number is not clear, dealers and Volvo would have you think yours is the only one. It's not lots of people have had this issue but not everybody.

It seems the most common fault is the egr cooler which it appears leaks I assume it's linked to the engine cooling to cool the exhaust gas, so this small leak of coolant mixes with the exhaust forming a paste which blocks the egr valve causing a fault to be logged.

The fix now seems to be to replace the egr cooler with a slightly updated design which should address the leak, there have also been software updates which some owners have reported effect the performance.

I have had my cooler replaced and the new software installed and have noticed no difference in performance, my car is an early car so one of the first with the 190 tune of the D4.

Most egr cooler problems seemed to read there head at around 10k miles out of interest what was yours on?
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 06:20   #7
Panther22

Mine was on 12k. I have noticed a significant performance boost when in 1st, 2nd & third gear. Im just hoping it doesnt effect the fuel economy, as I have been very pleased with its fuel consuption.

I had driven Seat Leon Cupra`s (petrol) Mk1, MK 2 before I had this my first ever Volvo. The Leons performance was great but the fuel consuption sucked. My Volvo seems as powerful but far better on the wallet when it comes to fuel. My wife drives a Seat Mii (1 litre petrol) which has great fuel economy on long and short journeys, but slow as hell. My volvo seems to do even better mpg but alot quicker ofc.

I bought the Volvo because I loved the new shape of the V40, I aslso quite liked the C30 aswell but needed 5 doors (kids) but I dont think they make the C30 anymore? I am very pleased with the V40 so far, just hope this egr problem doesn`t dampen this.

Last edited by Panther22; Sep 9th, 2015 at 06:33. Reason: typo
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 22:20   #8
Marc01

At the end of the day Panther22 perspective needs to be kept many new cars can have issues such as these, it's not exclusive to Volvo.
The important thing is, that it got sorted with minimum impact to you, and the new D4 is a great engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 06:59   #9
lancslad1985

As someone that's had problems with their new car, I'm impressed Volvo got it all sorted for you. I've had my car in with VW 10 times in 8 months from new, 8 of those times were over the last two months because the cruise control was faulty and there weren't error codes. Needless to say it's hastened my purchase of a V40 from back end of next year to January now - it's not the issues that have done that it's the customer service and the way the servicing people talk to you. Wish VW had sorted my issues as quickly as Volvo sorted yours!
lancslad1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 13:03   #10
Panther22

Yeah I was very pleased with how my service, the way in which the problem was dealt with and the speed at which it was sorted. They also let me have a courtesy car for the extra day I had to wait for my service due to the egr refit.

Initialy I was shocked to get the call about the problem but that was only because the person I spoke to was office staff and I don`t think they conveyed what the problem was me very well. Hence me posting my first post

Last edited by Panther22; Sep 11th, 2015 at 13:04. Reason: typo