Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smoke out of dipstick 850 GLT 2.5 20v Auto N/A

Views : 1309

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 01:39   #1
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default Smoke out of dipstick 850 GLT 2.5 20v Auto N/A

I have smoke coming out of the dipstick as well as oil being ejected from the filler cap. Someone said something about holding a hand on the oil filler port to see if theres suction? there isnt and the PCV is working because if I remove the flame trap housing lots of smoke comes out as well as oil is being sucked into the inlet manifold

I have double checked the PCV for blockages all the pipes are clear and new even the L shaped one going from the block to the seperator

The engine has done 155k no blue smoke.

Does anyone agree that the engine is toast or is there somewhere else I need to check like the oil pressure relief valve [if fitted]

There is no oil residue on the plugs bores are dry Compressions are within the specifications set in the haynes manual

Suggestions? For now I'm going to keep putting oil into the engine till after christmas then decide on a long term solution
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 04:06   #2
danielm85948

oil return pipe may be blocked .try putting a good engine cleaner in the oil run it for about 15 miles .then an other one in.outside the house .run the engine for 15 to 20 min watch the temp when doing so.then drop the oil ,and a new filter for the oil.now check the hoses for the crankcase breather.are all clear.
danielm85948 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danielm85948 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 11:09   #3
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default Pcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm85948 View Post
oil return pipe may be blocked .try putting a good engine cleaner in the oil run it for about 15 miles .then an other one in.outside the house .run the engine for 15 to 20 min watch the temp when doing so.then drop the oil ,and a new filter for the oil.now check the hoses for the crankcase breather.are all clear.
Thanks for the suggestions will run some oil cleaner through. Which is the oil return pipe?
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 15:53   #4
DerekJohannesburg

Hi

Mine is a 99 C70 T5, but the problem is the same at the end of the day. Smoke at the dipstick when it is even slightly withdrawn, and back oil pressure anywhere is definitely PCV. If the motor has an oil separator which has not been cleaned and re-piped for about 40 000 kms, the separator will be clogged with gunk inside, and chances are very good that the air/vacuum pipes are blocked solid somewhere in the system. There is no short cut. Remove everything, probe and clean all air passages as well as oil pipes. Make sure that you can blow thru all of the pipes, and pay particular attention to cleaning the inside of the oil separator. The build up looks like old varnish. Replace any suspect pipes. I spent 2 days on this job, 1 on cleaning only. Make sure that the air pipe is clear, and that none of the separator pipe stubs are broken off. They're plastic and get brittle from the engine heat

If its a PC valve type, which I doubt, replace it.

Good luck.

Derek
DerekJohannesburg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekJohannesburg For This Useful Post: