Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Testing the alarm

Views : 3363

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:48   #1
mfresh
Nice person

Default Testing the alarm

I've had the dreaded alarm service required vehicle message a month or so back, and took it in to the dealer for the mass movement sensor to be replaced, but now the message seems to be coming back from time to time.

So my question is this - how do you test the alarm? I have tried locking the doors while leaving the window open, and then waving my arm in the through the window, but that doesn't seem to activate the alarm. Would that be enough to set it off if it is working properly?

The only way I can get the alarm to sound is to press and hold the red triangle on the key fob for 5 seconds - that certainly does the trick, but is clearly cheating as far as testing whether the alarm sensors are working.

Thanks for any advice!
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:48   #2
jimbg
Master Member

Well mine went very quickly when I left the dog in the car and forgot to press OK for reduced guard.

She was in the boot and stood up and of it went!!
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 16:02   #3
thanosgr
Thanos

1) You can lock the car and you inside the car after a minute move or try to get out...
2) Try to unlock the car with the key.
In both cases the alarm must come on!
thanosgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 17:51   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I know that mine works on the Mallaig to Armadale ferry - there were two XC60s on the ferry and both our alarms kept going off - as did the BMWs, but not any of the other makes.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:15   #5
darbs
XC60 Owner

ask someone to sit in the car, then lock the doors with the fob (or door button if you have pcc). get them to move around a bit.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 20:39   #6
robg

remember to allow at least a minute for the alarm to set and arm itself after you lock it before you try and prove the sensor.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 21:59   #7
mfresh
Nice person

Thanks for all your replies. I'll give all these methods a try. Apart from the ferry one, perhaps.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 22:37   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
I've had the dreaded alarm service required vehicle message a month or so back, and took it in to the dealer for the mass movement sensor to be replaced, but now the message seems to be coming back from time to time.

So my question is this - how do you test the alarm? I have tried locking the doors while leaving the window open, and then waving my arm in the through the window, but that doesn't seem to activate the alarm. Would that be enough to set it off if it is working properly?

The only way I can get the alarm to sound is to press and hold the red triangle on the key fob for 5 seconds - that certainly does the trick, but is clearly cheating as far as testing whether the alarm sensors are working.
Thanks for any advice!
That is not the alarm at all you will notice it is the HORN which sounds not the alarm siren :-) It is a panic alarm or for finding your car in a car park , it works well for that purpose .
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 09:56   #9
mfresh
Nice person

Aha! Well that's interesting. Having never heard the alarm go off I didn't realise that it had its own sound - I though it probably used the horn.

At least I know that the horn works, although I believe that there is another way of testing it by pressing on the centre of the steering wheel...
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 12:12   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That is not the alarm at all you will notice it is the HORN which sounds not the alarm siren :-) It is a panic alarm or for finding your car in a car park , it works well for that purpose .
So what was going off to make the noise on the ferry?

Sure sounded like a horn to me , not a siren and disarming the alarm stopped the noise