Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering a XC60 T8

Views : 7246

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2018, 11:35   #1
dazza666

Default Considering a XC60 T8

Hi all, after months of research - I think its quite clear that the XC60 has to be one of the best cars to purchase at the moment. Im tossing up this car between the porsche panamera ehybrid or the iPace. It helps that the XC60 supports Android auto, which the others do not!, it's a fair bit cheaper as well. So I think overall its the best option.

I apologise for something that has no doubt been posted before, but the search doesn't let me look for 't8' as its too short a word.

What i'm struggling with is finding out a real MPG figure on a longish run. At the moment for example I travel 110 miles a day, about 80% is motorway @ 70MPH, the rest country lanes (around 40 - 50 mph). I would hope for a average of 50MPG here, but some things i've read seem to indicate I would be lucky to scrape 30.

It may be possible to charge at the destination, but lets not assume this as I don't know for certain.

What would I expect in terms of running costs for this. I know the T8 should do around 25 miles on battery, but how realistic is this?
dazza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:28   #2
Milliner

I have the T8 XC90, so I would have imagined most of the figures I get should be bettered by the XC60 version (which has a larger battery capacity too I believe?)

On a single charge, the mileage will vary quite a lot depending on whether you accelerate hard anywhere, especially uphill as you might expect. I often drive around 16 miles to work and back on a single charge, just about, sticking to the 30-40mph speed limits. If I go another way, down a dual carriageway, I won't.

In reality, it will also depend on the temperature too of course.

As for long haul - my most recent longish journey was 84 miles along A roads and dual carriageway (so not too many stops) and managed 40.9 with four of us in, a full load of camping gear and a top box. I was driving around 65 though (because of aforementioned top box).

Not too bad I'd guess for 3+ tonnes of car, so I'd assume you'd do better than this unless you start going too far above 70mph. Which of course none of us do...

Overall though, my mpg is 31.0 mpg. I do charge it up often, but not all the time and I do far fewer motorway miles I'd say.

Hope that helps.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 12:54   #3
dazza666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
I have the T8 XC90, so I would have imagined most of the figures I get should be bettered by the XC60 version (which has a larger battery capacity too I believe?)

On a single charge, the mileage will vary quite a lot depending on whether you accelerate hard anywhere, especially uphill as you might expect. I often drive around 16 miles to work and back on a single charge, just about, sticking to the 30-40mph speed limits. If I go another way, down a dual carriageway, I won't.

In reality, it will also depend on the temperature too of course.

As for long haul - my most recent longish journey was 84 miles along A roads and dual carriageway (so not too many stops) and managed 40.9 with four of us in, a full load of camping gear and a top box. I was driving around 65 though (because of aforementioned top box).

Not too bad I'd guess for 3+ tonnes of car, so I'd assume you'd do better than this unless you start going too far above 70mph. Which of course none of us do...

Overall though, my mpg is 31.0 mpg. I do charge it up often, but not all the time and I do far fewer motorway miles I'd say.

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much for that, its interesting. My problem is my current car gets 40+MPG on a long run, it is a 3 litre Diesel BMW. It was psychologically important for me that any new car beats this figure! Although I appreciate one is a convertible sports car, the other a comfortable SUV - so its not a apples to apples comparison. I have a friend who has a Kuga 1.5 Diesel, and gets around 45MPG on a run, in comparison your 40 MPG is fantastic.

The slightly bigger battery, and 100 KG weight difference may squeeze another 1mpg average perhaps, so I would suspect I would be averaging 32 or so.

I suppose, its silly to bemoan a 8 MPG differential on a car that costs upwards of 60k, as over say a 20k miles a year or so the cost difference is around £670, relatively speaking this isn't a lot, but as I say its psychological!
Old May 11th, 2018, 13:45   #4
Milliner

I know what you mean, but like you say, given the cars size, shape and weight, I guess it's inevitable. But, add on top the 400bhp of power on hand and it doesn't look to bad I'd say.

My last car was a 520D touring though and to be fair, I 'only' got 38mpg out of that on average.

I see Volvo have lowered the official mpg and CO2 for the T8 cars but they're still ridiculous under scrutiny. I personally wasn't expecting to be blown away by the mpg figures, given the proportion of low-speed milage I do - I should charge up more often though and need to get a charge point in at the office.

I've always said I think most hybrids in their current setup are really about tax incentives - a means of cheaply running a high powered car that would otherwise hammer your P11D!

That said, it's a lovely car running on electric - very quiet and refined (road noise negates this once at speed though). The regen systems do a decent job of adding just enough power to keep you using electricity a good proportion of time in heavy traffic too.

You also get a 'crystal knob'. What more could you need!
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 14:20   #5
DeZemBer

this might or might not help

I came from an Outlander PHEV with very similar daily mileage and roads (2 ltr petrol with 12kWh battery).

On a fully charged 55 miles journey to work, 47 miles on M25 and roughly 8 miles on A roads, I am getting around 55 to 60 mpg with depleted battery when I reach office.

If I can't charge in the office, and drive back home I'm getting below 40mpg.

So the key point here is whether you are able to fully charge your car when you are in the office and I think XC60 T8 has a smaller battery than the Outlander but maybe a more efficient ICE.
Old May 11th, 2018, 14:49   #6
dazza666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZemBer View Post
this might or might not help

I came from an Outlander PHEV with very similar daily mileage and roads (2 ltr petrol with 12kWh battery).

On a fully charged 55 miles journey to work, 47 miles on M25 and roughly 8 miles on A roads, I am getting around 55 to 60 mpg with depleted battery when I reach office.

If I can't charge in the office, and drive back home I'm getting below 40mpg.

So the key point here is whether you are able to fully charge your car when you are in the office and I think XC60 T8 has a smaller battery than the Outlander but maybe a more efficient ICE.
Those values sound promising, I think there is a weight difference of around 500KG(!!) on the XC60 vs the outlander (god knows why, considering the larger battery in the outlander), and as you say about 2KWH of energy more in the outlander than the XC60, which should give it 6/7 miles more range.

But yes, your journey is very close to mine; I suspect if I was not able to charge at the office I would have to utilise the battery on the slower 40/50 mph roads, and put it in hold mode when i'm cruising on the motorway.
Old May 11th, 2018, 15:39   #7
MaDProFF
Master Member

I have an order in for a XC 60 T8, my buy reasoning I felt it was best car for value that I could get through my Company, for performance etc. running costs, Company Tax breaks etc. Becareful regarding the Government grant, it is not a for gone conclusion you get one, it is budget left in pot dependant. (Mine has been granted)
I also got the 50% down and 0% finance on rest and they also added £1000-00 Contribution, add that, and my discount, corporation tax back, gov grant, VAT return etc. run it in the business, it is a cheap car, even the £599 for 5 yr service plan is pretty good on such a high performance car, that is about 1 yrs worth on the AMG.

I had a deposit for an Ipace, but pulled it due to the cost, but more so the fact even buying top of range I was adding loads to make it up to a decent standard, like heated steering wheel, mats, privacy glass and so on.

If you ordered Ipace now with no previous deposit doubt you see it before July next year.

Regarding Fuel Comsuption it really is all about how you drive in my opinion, I would expect 50 MPG over journeys with a full charge as a start.
I found using High Octane fuel with remap can make a difference too.

I get 38 mpg out my AMG GLA 45 if driven at speed of general traffic motorway or town, I could quite easily get sub 30 if driven slightly differently, then there is Low 20's if I drive like a lunatic sometimes.
Same as a V6 3 litre Vito Van, loaded, easy mid 30's driven at a decent pace, just how you Drive.

I am a little disappointed with MY19 changes to engine performance, but no MY 18's about new now.
I am also a little concerned about law changes to engine sounds for all new Electric / Hybrid from 2019, but all cars old and new in 2021 have to make a noise according to some sources, (Volvo do not think this is the case) and at present Volvos do not.

Good Luck with Choice, Never an easy one
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 19:26   #8
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza666 View Post
What i'm struggling with is finding out a real MPG figure on a longish run. At the moment for example I travel 110 miles a day, about 80% is motorway @ 70MPH, the rest country lanes (around 40 - 50 mph). I would hope for a average of 50MPG here, but some things i've read seem to indicate I would be lucky to scrape 30.
With that sort of usage, you could get 50+ mpg if you bought a D4.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 22:13   #9
Director76
Master Member

If your journeys match the sweet spot of the T8 (I reckon <40 miles a day) you can get some remarkable mpg figures. Mrs D76 often takes it to work, 32 miles, town at each end, dual carriageway/ motorway the rest, generally up hill going down hill going back, she’ll regularly see (from the on call app) 57mpg going, and 120mpg coming back. Single charge, by the way, she can’t garage at work. Using fuelly our best tankful has been 76mpg, last one was 56mpg.

But trip up to Scotland last month, 221 miles each way, 30.2mpg going and 36.6mpg coming back, each time starting with a full charge.

110 a day with no charge up at work, you’ll see maybe 32-35, maybe less.

A trick is careful use of hold and B. Use the ICE up hills and the EV on flat surfaces when you’ve built up speed, flick regularly between D and B to max recovery.

It’s a great Powertrain though!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 23:14   #10
Gneissnz

I’d really have to say that the journey in the OP is too long to see any advantage in a current T8 or any premium hybrid. I cover around 40km/day and my T8 is perfect, I barely ever use petrol anymore. I recently did a 1200km round trip journey so used petrol most of the way. I got about 6litres/100km or 40mpg. Long distance the best economy is still going to be diesel I’d reckon unless you go Tesla.
Gneissnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid, mpg, xc60, xc60 t8