Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help me Choose 5 cylinder V50/s40 petrol

Views : 2699

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2014, 11:02   #11
V50France

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful information. I've put a deposit on the T5 I've been fancying. I fly over to UK next Wednesday to complete the deal. A bit of me regrets giving up the convenience of auto but I feel that the T5 will compensate in many ways. I think I can get reasonable fuel consumption over here on the empty roads. Can't wait.
V50France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 18:40   #12
850Chris
Premier Member

Good news! You'll love it. Enjoy (some pictures posted when you collect please )

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 11:15   #13
V50France

A quick update, as it is pouring with rain again. I bought a 2004 V50 T5 from a small dealer in the UK. Full main dealer history, 140k miles but felt like less than half that done. Faults discoverd since purchase:
1. 6 CD stacker will not accept CDs - rejects all as unreadable. So I bought a quality FM transmitter and use it to play music from ipod and USB memory sticks. Found Volvo dealer policy on replacement radios to be unhelpful and ridiculously expensive.
2. Headlights not responding to level adjustment control. Found one side had come away from the ball on the levelling motor. OK once re-located. Other side took the hint and started working again.
3. Love the means to remove headlights and to swap dipped pattern for continental driving.
4. Dipped beam very poor. Will upgrade bulbs in due course.
5. Trim on tailgate - in particular around the interior "pull down" handle coming adrift. Fixed with some self tappers.
6. Had to resort to running a wire across the rear lights in order to have fog light on the other side from UK usage. Why do manufacturers resort to such nonsense. All there to have light on both sides except one wire at the very end. Now have twin rear fogs.

MPG - got from midlands uk to west-central France at 35 mpg. Done about 150 miles of mixed motoring since and still showing similar mpg. 30 mph per 1000 rpm of 6 speed 'box a big plus factor. I drive with economy in mind on empty roads MOST of the time but I do indulge in the performance at times. All Volvo's happy with SP95-E10 petrol since mid 1997s EXCEPT s40/v401.8i's. Google "SP95-E10 compatibility" for info.
I love the car and the Volvo ergonomics. Very happy owner. Will post a picture once rain stops and it is on French plates.
Will need to get a bike rack for the back and a diagnostic tool etc soon.
Cheers, Keith
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 17:14   #14
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
A quick update, as it is pouring with rain again. I bought a 2004 V50 T5 from a small dealer in the UK. Full main dealer history, 140k miles but felt like less than half that done. Faults discoverd since purchase:
1. 6 CD stacker will not accept CDs - rejects all as unreadable. So I bought a quality FM transmitter and use it to play music from ipod and USB memory sticks. Found Volvo dealer policy on replacement radios to be unhelpful and ridiculously expensive.
2. Headlights not responding to level adjustment control. Found one side had come away from the ball on the levelling motor. OK once re-located. Other side took the hint and started working again.
3. Love the means to remove headlights and to swap dipped pattern for continental driving.
4. Dipped beam very poor. Will upgrade bulbs in due course.
5. Trim on tailgate - in particular around the interior "pull down" handle coming adrift. Fixed with some self tappers.
6. Had to resort to running a wire across the rear lights in order to have fog light on the other side from UK usage. Why do manufacturers resort to such nonsense. All there to have light on both sides except one wire at the very end. Now have twin rear fogs.

MPG - got from midlands uk to west-central France at 35 mpg. Done about 150 miles of mixed motoring since and still showing similar mpg. 30 mph per 1000 rpm of 6 speed 'box a big plus factor. I drive with economy in mind on empty roads MOST of the time but I do indulge in the performance at times. All Volvo's happy with SP95-E10 petrol since mid 1997s EXCEPT s40/v401.8i's. Google "SP95-E10 compatibility" for info.
I love the car and the Volvo ergonomics. Very happy owner. Will post a picture once rain stops and it is on French plates.
Will need to get a bike rack for the back and a diagnostic tool etc soon.
Cheers, Keith
Good news! Pictures for us fellow Volvo fans to ogle at would be good.

With regards point 4, dipped headlights are pretty poor on the S40's / V50's and upgraded bulbs don't make a massive difference as problem seems to be the beam spread of the diffuser rather than brightness of bulb. I managed to improve mine MASSIVELY by turning the vertical adjustment screw 3 full turns anti-clockwise (to raise headlight angle upwards). This is outwith MOT limits (so will fail next MOT) but after much experimentation I found 3 turns to be the optimum for getting decent visibility on dipped beam whilst not dazzling oncoming cars. Fairly simpe to do with a 6mm hex socket on the inbound adjustment screws (inbound are vertical outbound are horizontal).

Also, with regards 95 RON petrol, T5 will run happily all day long on it but you'll find it will run much sweeter on 97 or 98 RON. Noticeable swell in torque.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 13:57   #15
vaynah

How much did you get the car for?
I'm on the hunt for a T5 myself.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 17:30   #16
V50France

Hi Vahnah,

It cost £2,850. 139,000 k miles. Full Volvo dealer history. Immac interior. Exterior excellent but with a few marks if you look real close. I thought it wa the pick of the market when I bought it. Good luck with the search. The T5 is certainly an excellent bargain.
Keith
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 17:32   #17
V50France

Thanks for more helpful info Chris. I will get the car through French MOT before I fiddle. Will hold off on upgrading bulbs but may uprate a bit when they blow.

Tags
5 cylinder engine, fuel consumption, geartronic, mpg