Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help me Choose 5 cylinder V50/s40 petrol

Views : 2697

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2014, 12:04   #1
V50France

Default Help me Choose 5 cylinder V50/s40 petrol

Hi from a new member who needs help before buying a first Volvo.

I had an old series v40 light pressure turbo model a few years back but it was a company car - not mine. But now I'm back and looking to buy a V50 of my own. It will be on a tight budget and so will be an early car. I want a 5 pot but cannot decide between T5 manual ( to get 6 speed box and extra grunt) or normal 2.4i with geartronic (or manual). After many years of autos I'd like to keep to that form of 'box for easy driving. BUT is the geartronic box reliable enough once 10 years have passed?

Can existing owners of V50 and S40 cars tell me:

1 What mpg do you get from a t5 fwd manual under what circumstances? What mph per 1000 rpm in 6th?

2 What life to expect from a manual clutch on a 5 pot engine?

3 What mpg from a 2.4i with Geartronic, under what circumstances? Again, what mph per 1000 rpm in top?

4 What mpg from a 2.4i with manual box under what circumstances? Again what mph per 1000 rpm in top?

Please do not try to steer me towards diesel. Its not what I want.

I live in France where the roads are empty and open and so would expect to do better than typical UK mpg. My Pug 406 2 litre Auto petrol estate gives me 37 mpg all day long - mix of long and short trips.
I will buy the car in UK. I will be doing some long trips -hence the question about rpm in top gear.

Anything I should look out for when buying any of the above? In particular to avoid problems on Geartronic models.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Keith
V50France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 20:29   #2
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Hi from a new member who needs help before buying a first Volvo.

I had an old series v40 light pressure turbo model a few years back but it was a company car - not mine. But now I'm back and looking to buy a V50 of my own. It will be on a tight budget and so will be an early car. I want a 5 pot but cannot decide between T5 manual ( to get 6 speed box and extra grunt) or normal 2.4i with geartronic (or manual). After many years of autos I'd like to keep to that form of 'box for easy driving. BUT is the geartronic box reliable enough once 10 years have passed?

Can existing owners of V50 and S40 cars tell me:

1 What mpg do you get from a t5 fwd manual under what circumstances? What mph per 1000 rpm in 6th?

2 What life to expect from a manual clutch on a 5 pot engine?

3 What mpg from a 2.4i with Geartronic, under what circumstances? Again, what mph per 1000 rpm in top?

4 What mpg from a 2.4i with manual box under what circumstances? Again what mph per 1000 rpm in top?

Please do not try to steer me towards diesel. Its not what I want.

I live in France where the roads are empty and open and so would expect to do better than typical UK mpg. My Pug 406 2 litre Auto petrol estate gives me 37 mpg all day long - mix of long and short trips.
I will buy the car in UK. I will be doing some long trips -hence the question about rpm in top gear.

Anything I should look out for when buying any of the above? In particular to avoid problems on Geartronic models.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Keith
In answer to 1). V50 T5 FWD Manual - I get around 31 to 32mpg on mix of A Class (60mph), Motorway (70mph ) and town driving. Lowest I've seen is 21mpg when driving somewhat decisively on a moor top rural road. Best I've seen is 39mpg on a long motorway run. This is always on minimum 97 RON Petrol. Will check mph per 1000rpm in 6th tomorrow but, from memory, does around 2500rpm in 6th at 70mph (i.e. fairly refined). 3rd gear will take it from 40mph well into license loosing territory (which makes it phenomenal for overtaking). T5 manual over 2.4 would be my recommendation.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 11:49   #3
V50France

Default Good feedback 850Chris

Thanks for the update which is just the sort of info I am seeking. I await your update on the mph/rpm figure. It sounds like you USE the T5 as nature intended. Any comments on the clutch durability? Also how often do you need to replace tyres and brakes?
I have been watching a manual T5 V50 on Autotrader for a while. One owner full VSH and 139,000 miles brings it within reach of my budget. Any thoughts?

I hope some 2.4 geartronic owners will give me equally helpful info soon.

Keith
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 15:41   #4
iainmd

My clutch is still fine at nearly 100k miles. Tyres-wise, fronts last 10-12k miles with the rears lasting 30-40k miles on the T5.

You'll not find too many responses from 2.4i owners as they weren't particularly popular in the UK. Generally about the same MPG as a T5 with the same type of gearbox and much less performance so it wasn't an obvious choice as a brand new purchase when compared with the T5.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 18:18   #5
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50France View Post
Thanks for the update which is just the sort of info I am seeking. I await your update on the mph/rpm figure. It sounds like you USE the T5 as nature intended. Any comments on the clutch durability? Also how often do you need to replace tyres and brakes?
I have been watching a manual T5 V50 on Autotrader for a while. One owner full VSH and 139,000 miles brings it within reach of my budget. Any thoughts?

I hope some 2.4 geartronic owners will give me equally helpful info soon.9

Keith
Ok - some experimental runs on the commute to and from work today and 1000rpm in 6th sees around 28mph (may be able to find a more accurate figure on the internet). Also, does around 2200rpm at 70mph in 6th (not 2500 as previously advised). This is on my current set up of 16" steel wheels with 205/55 profile winter tyres (normally 17" alloys with 205/50 profile so won't be much difference in overall circumference)

Can't comment on tyres as I've yet to change a set (bought at 89,000 miles with new tyres fitted and now on 103,000 BUT I run winter tyres from November to March and swap front to rears when change back). Figures from IainMD would seem about right but obviously depends on your driving style etc.. Front discs were just about done when I bought at 89,000 miles and so had new (upgraded ) discs and pads fitted all round at around 90,000 miles. Plenty of life in them and pads at 103,000 miles (perhaps not surprising after only 13,000 miles of use!).

Still on original clutch at 103,000 miles and feels like new.

V50 T5 with Full Volvo Service History sounds good - wouldn't be put off by 139,000 miles but would check the following (which won't be covered by the FSH);

Has diaphragm in oil breather system been replaced? These are a common fail point. Whistles like a kettle when goes and will suck air in to the crankcase (not good!). Mine went over Christmas and was £370 to fix (at Volvo dealer).

Fuel Pressure Sensor can fail - causes a surge in power delivery and generally reduced performance. Worth fitting a new one as easy preventative maintenance and you can use Focus ST (same engine) part which is much cheaper (around £40 versus £70).

Shocks and bushings likely to be tiring by that mileage. Would be worth checking if it's had replacements.

I'm sure there are other common failures to watch out for but none are springing to mind at the moment. Would be worth you doing a quick search on the forum.

Happy hunting!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.

Last edited by 850Chris; Jan 7th, 2014 at 18:21.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 19:39   #6
V50France

Thanks for the feedback Ian. My interest in the 2.4i was really if the mpg was too scary on the T5. But I think the manual only has 5 speed box so it would lose on the longer run economy - important for me. T5 mpg looks about what I hoped so that is my preference. Need to look at local insurance rates now and if no worse than expected then T5 should be my choice.
Keith
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 19:43   #7
V50France

Thanks again Chris, that is all really useful data. I am closing in on the T5, having spoken to the dealer today. Sounds really good, having been owned by a mature enthusiast from new. The history is well documented and dealer knows/uses the local Volvo dealership so I can ask about the points you've highlighted. Insurance looks like the last potential gotcha now. Will let you know....
Keith
Old Jan 7th, 2014, 21:12   #8
IanLD

Get between 26 and 32 depending on the time of year in my V50 2.4i

I do have quite a hilly journey going to and from work on a mixture of roads with a very large number of roundabouts, so constantly slowing then accelerating again.

On a motorway journey the fuel consumption is much better and instead of getting about 305 miles from a tank, I'll get over 420.

2.4i does need worked quite hard to get the performance, but sounds amazing (no turbo to dampen exhaust note). That doesn't help the fuel consumption...

French roads are fantastic and you'd get better than here. Not sure about the rpm as I haven't really studied it

Last edited by IanLD; Jan 7th, 2014 at 21:15.
IanLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 11:50   #9
Welton
Premier Member

My Manual T5 averages 25.5mpg, the average speed in 26mph on the computer.

My 8-mile commute is rural roads, only 1 set of traffic lights, occasional slow traffic and then one by-pass where I hit naughty numbers (to clear the exhaust)! I've never seen less than 24 and the best was 39 on easy 50-60mph run and I'd say 32 ish on fast motorways.

Gearing in favourable in 6th, 60mph uses 2000rpm:

Clutches are coupled to a DMF so need to be treated sympathetically, mine still feels nice and grippy at 67K with a very positive feel and super-light action.

Biggest problem I've had has been the suspension (all Ford stuff) and I've had to replace 2 x wishbones, 2 x springs, 1 x rear control arm, 4 x rear stays, 2 x drop links and 2 x top mounts from 24 to 65K miles.

Wheel alignment has to be spot-on or the car will drive horribly I've found. I have mine set up on a Hunters 4-wheel alignment twice a year and suffer no uneven tyre wear at all.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)

Last edited by Welton; Jan 8th, 2014 at 11:52.
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 12:37   #10
IanLD

Checked rpm this morning and on manual 2.4i 70 mph (112 kph) is 2,800 rpm

5 speed box compared with the 6 for the T5

Don't know anything about geartronic
IanLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 cylinder engine, fuel consumption, geartronic, mpg