Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rough idle when cold

Views : 1836

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2023, 13:07   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Instead of Ecm software upgrade ask them to do Total can upgrade which cost around 56 plus labour and this update all controllers on the Can to the new soft if there is any, that's what they do with service 2.0
Good thinking 👍
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 14:40   #12
pphilpot
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Instead of Ecm software upgrade ask them to do Total can upgrade which cost around 56 plus labour and this update all controllers on the Can to the new soft if there is any, that's what they do with service 2.0
Excellent! I'll look into this. Many thanks for your assistance.
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 15:21   #13
pphilpot
Premier Member

OK, another small update. So I phoned an other dealer in the other direction, and they recommended and "Investigation" @ £144+VAT (£172 inc. VAT). This includes labour (1 hour), and includes any updates. More labour time if the updates take longer.

The guy on the phone appeared to be familiar with the ECM diesel update, but went off to chat to a service guy, and came back with the "Investigation" recommendation.

Three dealers, three answers
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 21:05   #14
divinetong
mr

Default Rough idle and white smoke on cold start

Hi, my car is a volvo s40 1.6d 2006 reg, I'm having the same symptoms. Rough start on cold weather, I have replaced all 4 injectors without coding them to the ECU, maybe this is what is causing this rough idle and white smoke. I would like to know how you get on with the dealers. Cheers
divinetong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 16:51   #15
2014XC60

Hi divinetong, I have a similar issue on my 2014 XC60 2.0d which I've had the injectors replaced.

I've tried all sorts, cleaning the electronic throttle body, cleaning, the intake, cleaning the EGR cooler and valve. 2 of my glow plugs were showing faulty so I've changed all four. the only thing I haven't tried is re-coding the newly fitted 2nd hand injectors. I've setup VIDA on my laptop and have ordered the original DICE cable. I'll let you know how I get on.
2014XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2024, 20:15   #16
2014XC60

I've searched most forums and the internet with nothing concrete.

Initial scan showed 2 glow plugs as faulty.

1. changed all 4 glow plugs, faults have disappeared
2. cleaned intake manifold whilst I changed the glow plugs
3. cleaned the EGR cooler and EGR valve, cooler was clogged but managed to clean it out well.
4. I have replaced all 4 injectors with 2nd hand ones, including new copper washers and rubber O rings.
5. I am planning on doing the coding when I get my DICE cable.
6. I also intend to add some Forte injector cleaner.

Does anyone know if I've missed anything out or is there anything else I should check for?

In case someone else comes across this issue, as there wasn't a documented fix on the Volvo forums I did a general search on the internet for diesel cars with these symptoms. A lot of reference was made to the air/fuel mixture not being correct, some which mentioned spraying carb cleaner around the intake to see if there was an air leak.

having sprayed carb cleaner around the engine, there was no change in the characteristic of the lumpy idle during the time my symptom existed (20/30 seconds), car kept cutting out when applying the accelerator on cold startup.

I wasn't able to code my injectors, so I did the following:

1. Reset all adaptions via VIDA: Injectors, EGR, Throttle body and I think MAP & MAF sensor, there might have been others but I reset anything to do with fuel and air.

2. cleaned out MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner (the sensor seemed relatively clean for a car with 130k miles).

3. cleaned out the MAP sensor with electrical contact cleaner (this seemed to have soot around it).

4.my air filter housing had screws which would not tighten so was loose, I fixed this so it was air tight.

5. I added a bottle of Forte injector cleaner and drove the car for about 20 miles on a dual carriageway, opening it up. I did notice black smoke for the first 1 or 2 miles.

I have since started the vehicle twice after being parked for over 8 hours and on both occasions, the lumpy start, rattling has stopped and applying the accelerator has not resulted in the car from stalling.

although I can't pin point which one of the above helped or if all of them had some impact, these are simple/cheap enough options to try if you have a similar problem before changing parts.
2014XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote