Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

44k engine blown, warranty company not interested

Views : 8800

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2016, 17:38   #11
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
14g - ingress of foreign matter into fuel, lubricants or cooling system
They believe this covers low oil and also build up of soot in the oil...
The above would mean they never pay out on >90% of diesel cars. The modern diesel suspends carbon in the oil for removal at oil change that's why a lot of cars have black oil within miles of an oil change.
You can write anything into a contract, it does not make it legal.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 17:58   #12
Simon Jones
Premier Member

You could send a sample of the oil of to a lab for analysis. This would probably confirm which grade the garage used and whether the level of contaminants where average for the age of oil / engine. At the end of the day, if it comes back with results that don't support your case, you don't have to share the results with the warranty company.

Re: foreign matter: carbon is not foreign to the internals of an engine. It is a by-product of combustion in the same way as CO2, NOX etc.

Last edited by Simon Jones; Nov 1st, 2016 at 18:00.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 18:04   #13
Peter V70 D5

In my sad experience most warranty companies will try to worm out of their obligations every time. A solicitor is probably needed. Good Luck!
Peter V70 D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter V70 D5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 19:16   #14
The Thong
VOC Member

So you've had the car serviced at the correct period according to the warranty. Carbonised oil? Due to local journeys? What utter tosh!! If the car was serviced correctly then you should be covered

1) Who serviced the car? Was it recommended by the warranty company?

2) Was serviced as per the schedule?

3) Was the correct grade of oil used and was the filter changed?

Something stinks here and I'm not talking about the oil. Someone tugging your chain mate.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 20:02   #15
luggsey
The truth is out there...

I just realised you are going through the complaint procedure with the warranty company, this is a good move, don't offer any information they don't ask for.
I would avoid a solicitor for a while, they will charge you to write letters that have no legal weight at all.
I had a similar problem with a TV warranty!
My TV was a limited edition Finlux, the insurance company offered me a Goodmans TV as final settlement!
Took me three weeks of letters to wear them down to fully cover my claim.
Standard practice with most insurers is to make an initial low offer, in your case it's a bit more difficult.
If your appeal fails, write to them with a letter stating at the top "letter before legal action, do not ignore". Make it a signed for letter, cover their failure to honour the warranty.
Provide all copies of information required for a claim, if possible a statement from the servicing garage stating all servicing done to the correct spec etc. Include the quote from Volvo for a new engine and inform them you will have an independent engineers report conducted to allow a court action. Inform them that all costs for this will be claimed for in small claims court.
You will stuff them.
They will either agree to settle or get royaly screwed in court.
If you have to get an engineer report ENSURE it states it's independence!
Grrrrrr, I hate insurance companies that try to screw people!

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 20:18   #16
jjkenya

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
1) Who serviced the car? Was it recommended by the warranty company? No but a previous minor claim for 1 injector was approved with the same garage, no issue.

2) Was serviced as per the schedule? Yes

3) Was the correct grade of oil used and was the filter changed? Yes, stated on the service receipt and confirmed with a Shell Lubematch check as well as verbally with the garage.

Something stinks here and I'm not talking about the oil. Someone tugging your chain mate.
So all in all, I think we are well within our expected level of due diligence.
jjkenya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjkenya For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 16:59   #17
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkenya View Post
So all in all, I think we are well within our expected level of due diligence.
As long as the correct filters and oil grade is used then there shouldn't be an issue. You've done what you can, I'd certainly get advice now.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 18:27   #18
daveyonthemove

A few years back I had a gearbox fail on my Fabia Vrs, and I went to my Warrnty company for help and they were useless.

The car had FSH (not Full Skoda) and had just had a Cambelt/Water pump change and full service a few weeks earlier. The work was carried out by two ex Skoda Master Technicians who had started their own small business together and were using genuine parts and approved kit.
The warranty company refused to pay out and tried a few excuses.
1) FW&T. How is a gearbox Fair wear and tear? The Gearbox has the same life expectancy as the engine, and all serviceable items were maintained.
2) Gearbox oil had not been changed. It wasn't mentioned in the service schedule anywhere (certainly not before the 55k that it was on when it broke).
After arguing successfully (with the help of some mechanics) that the first two reasons were not viable, they used...
3) Not VAT registered garage! I had no idea this was an issue or would degrade the quality of the parts or labour, but they had it in the small print and that invalidated my warranty claim.

IMO, they aren't worth a penny unless they are a dealership warranty that comes with the car, and occasionally an extended warranty (if you pay for the Gold/Premium option).
daveyonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 18:33   #19
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyonthemove View Post
A few years back I had a gearbox fail on my Fabia Vrs, and I went to my Warrnty company for help and they were useless.

The car had FSH (not Full Skoda) and had just had a Cambelt/Water pump change and full service a few weeks earlier. The work was carried out by two ex Skoda Master Technicians who had started their own small business together and were using genuine parts and approved kit.
The warranty company refused to pay out and tried a few excuses.
1) FW&T. How is a gearbox Fair wear and tear? The Gearbox has the same life expectancy as the engine, and all serviceable items were maintained.
2) Gearbox oil had not been changed. It wasn't mentioned in the service schedule anywhere (certainly not before the 55k that it was on when it broke).
After arguing successfully (with the help of some mechanics) that the first two reasons were not viable, they used...
3) Not VAT registered garage! I had no idea this was an issue or would degrade the quality of the parts or labour, but they had it in the small print and that invalidated my warranty claim.

IMO, they aren't worth a penny unless they are a dealership warranty that comes with the car, and occasionally an extended warranty (if you pay for the Gold/Premium option).
You should have gone to court, I'm pretty sure that exclusion would have been un enforceable.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 19:22   #20
bayliss Thomas

If you are a member of a road rescue organisation, rac/a or such like, check with them and see if they will arrange an independant investigation of the engine and they draw up a report for you. Upon receipt of their report you can then progress with legal assistance, again check with roadside assistance company if you are covered for such things Good luck.
bayliss Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, mapfre, warranty, xc90