Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TDi engine mounts - do they fail?

Views : 5400

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 22:54   #21
Galaxie390

Hi again,

Right, attached should be a picture of the rubber bumper underneath the gearbox. Not sure if you can see it in the picture, but the gearbox is resting on the rubber with no gap at all.

So I reckon Turbozutek's point about the two big main engine mounts collapsing look spot on.

All I have to do is pluck up the courage to get stuck in to fitting them. It also looks like my local Volvo dealer (Koping) in Dublin can supply genuine items at comparable prices to the pattern items.

Front mount
Volvo e98.08 Skandix e 89.44

Rear mount
Volvo e83.39 Skandix e79.00

Front by crank pulley
Volvo e98.08 Skandix e79.00

Bear in mind the Skandix order will cost approx e25 in postage. Haven't checked GSF, but can't see them being much less than Skandix.

So at these prices, I think it'll be genuine volvo parts. I would go for the pattern parts if I new they could be 'trusted' as this isn't a game I want to go through again!

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers,

Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo g box rubber 002.jpg (138.5 KB, 24 views)
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galaxie390 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 20:54   #22
cookie6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie390 View Post

Is there anyone in the Dublin area with a TDi I could maybe compare it with?

Thanks guys, really appreciate your ideas.

Rich

PS: ALso fitted a new top bush to the engine steady (the large one next to the engine......no difference!)
How's things Rich.

Just happened upon this thread before I start to investigate the rattles in my yolk - '97 850 Tdi auto 180k. I know for sure the top 'doughnut' mount is gone. It's been gone a while but there is a recent bad vibration at idle when you have your foot on the brake. Handbrake on, no worries, but once your sitting at the lights with the foot brake on - mad vibration!

If you want to compare to mine your more than welcome. I'm down near Glen of the Downs in Wicklow. I'm gonna have to order some new bits too same as yourself including some new suspension bushings... the list never ends!
cookie6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie6000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 23:04   #23
Galaxie390

Hi Guys,

Just an update.

Well after spending €200 on 2 new genuine volvo front & rear hydraulic mounts, and wrestling with them for 5 hours today. All I can say is I'm massively p****d off! Yes the gearbox is now off it's bumpstop by about 5mm, but it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the in-car vibration when you're in drive with your foot on the brake!

Surely, these very expensive executive cars didn't leave the factory with vibrations like this? Were these cars really expensive and high-end in their day?

Cookie 6000: sorry for not replying sooner, I forgot! If that offer to compare cars is still there I might just take you up on it.

My local garage quoted me €110 to fit the 2 mounts, with hindsight I'm wishing I'd left it to them. The rear mount nearest the bulkhead was a 45 minute job, made more difficult by having to do the job on axle stands.

The front mount was a real pain in the a**! You just can't see anything for all the hoses & wires. In this case it was made infinitely worse by the bottom 2 fan retaining bolts being properly rusted in place, they just wouldn't come out. I managed with the fan in place, but I've no skin left on my hands! If your are doing these mounts, spend the time to get the fan out of the way. Your hands and head will thank you for it!

I'm rapidly forming the opinion these V70s are a pile of c**p!

Right, rant over with...had to get it off my chest!

Cam belt next.....

Cheers,

Rich

Last edited by Galaxie390; Jul 26th, 2012 at 23:08.
Galaxie390 is offline   Reply With Quote