Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

concerned query

Views : 1113

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 14:31   #1
MethodMan

Hi guys and gals.

i joined this website as i was really amazed by the fact that C70s are really cheap now and i was ooking to buy one. Read owenrs reviews from a variety of sources, parkers, carsurvey, carreview etc etc.. people cant stop singing the praises for these cars.

However, i now come on here and start reading about this ETM issue. Makes me think is this the reason the cars are so cheap??

My main qestion though is if i buy a 98 reg car does this mean ETM will not be an issue for me? further to this, if i do buy a car in the ETM era so to speak, lets say i get the problem occuring, can i not buy an aftermarket unit from a manufacturer of car parts and fit that? can i go to eurocarparts and get a cheaper non volvo product that might be better built?

please help as i dont want to be paying 600 odd quid for something that might go wrong again??

or another alternative would it be fair to ask the company i buy from (who might not be volvo UK directly) to knock off 600 quid to cover off the fact that very imminently i will be paying for a big repair bill?

any thoughts would be appreciated.

kind regards
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:16   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

You could ask whoever you are buying from to make a suitable deduction based on the ETM.
They may laugh at you.
You could walk away.

You will find that the cost of this has fallen recently (don't tell the seller this though).
You could also bring the dealer and Volvo UK to court to get whatever the replacement cost refunded. Then it would cost nothing!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 18:59   #3
MethodMan

Hiya Des,
thanks for your response.

im 26 and i really want to have a c70... lookking to spend approx 5k on a c70t5.. while i understand if something goes wrong on a car then it will go wrong, i dont want to land myself what i feel is a good value for money car and end up with something thats going to suck my money into it..

i have checked as well and found there is a firm in kent who claim for about £150 they can supply a new ETM unit... if you were in my shoes would you buy one and get it fitted regardless?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 19:09   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodMan View Post
Hiya Des,
thanks for your response.

im 26 and i really want to have a c70... lookking to spend approx 5k on a c70t5.. while i understand if something goes wrong on a car then it will go wrong, i dont want to land myself what i feel is a good value for money car and end up with something thats going to suck my money into it..

i have checked as well and found there is a firm in kent who claim for about £150 they can supply a new ETM unit... if you were in my shoes would you buy one and get it fitted regardless?
No problem in wanting a nice car..

The ETM isn't an issue of "might go wrong", it will. Just a matter of when.
Don't let this put you off though as you can factor in the replacement against the price.
You can also get your money back as mentioned, people have done this successfully..

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "new ETM" they are now all reconditioned items. But do please prove me wrong..
Certainly, when you go to a dealer for the ETM replacement, you get on with a yellow sticker on it to replace the original with the white sticker.
This will be a reconditioned unit.

If someone says he has a new one, it should have a white sticker on it..
Be cautious.
But you have no need to worry until the 80 to 100k miles have passed.
A bit less if the car did mostly town/city driving..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 20:20   #5
T-5ones
Not banned, yet!

Go for it mate! They are lovely cars. You seem to be going at it with your eyes open. If I were you I would buy it for a suitable price with the intention of replacing the etm as soon as. Or get it done as part of the sale. Peace of mind.
T-5ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 17:01   #6
MethodMan

thanks guys! i dont mind buying something as long as i am aware of what could be an issue later on in the life of the car.

If i can factor in the costs of parts and bits and pieces then i am happy to go for it.

seen a number of cars around the 4-5k mark with between 80k to 100k on the clocks but with FVSH.

they make good buys? or should i really be saving up a few more grand?