Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated frt seats Fault

Views : 773

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2022, 23:24   #1
NBZ83

Default Heated frt seats Fault

Hi folks, both front seats don't heat. When the switches are on the red light doesn't come on either. Any common faults I should look for first of all? TIA 😊
NBZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBZ83 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 05:22   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Check the fuse and then try working the switches back and forth. I would also remove them and spray contact cleaner in and around them and work them back and forth again. The switches are a known weak point, my driver's one needs turning on and then I have to push it even further to get the light to come on and then it will work, I've been meaning to sort it for ages and now the cold mornings are here I definitely need to sort it.

Last edited by 360beast; Oct 11th, 2022 at 05:58.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 07:15   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Stick your mince pies under the seat to check the connectors aren't disconnected, a clumsy foot from a passenger behind can make this happen. I think 360 has kinda covered this anyway but just in case and before you start pulling things apart.

If none of that works you will need to check the seat plug for power, if it's powered ok then it's the pads in the seats but having both fail at the same time is unlikely which moves you back to fuses and relays before switches.

Given the cars age I'd say it's likely they've died of old age and I've had them die on much younger cars.

Final thought is your battery is weak and the car is isolating things out to save CCH if Volvo were making the cars that way that long ago.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:23   #4
griston64
Premier Member

As Luke said it's just sticky switches. Very common on pretty much all 940's.

I removed that panel and cleaned all up and they worked fine

My other 940 that I broke was the same as was my 740
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:45   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Stick your mince pies under the seat to check the connectors aren't disconnected, a clumsy foot from a passenger behind can make this happen. I think 360 has kinda covered this anyway but just in case and before you start pulling things apart.

If none of that works you will need to check the seat plug for power, if it's powered ok then it's the pads in the seats but having both fail at the same time is unlikely which moves you back to fuses and relays before switches.

Given the cars age I'd say it's likely they've died of old age and I've had them die on much younger cars.

Final thought is your battery is weak and the car is isolating things out to save CCH if Volvo were making the cars that way that long ago.
You would have to have bendy feet like the wicked witch of the west to get your feet under 940 seats let alone far enough forward past the heater ducting to disconnect the plugs.

The 7/900 seat heater switches are a well known weak point, I'm yet to see anything other than a switch that needs a bit of exercise to get working again. I'm sure there have been failed heating elements or blown fuses but I've been around these cars for 4 years now and never seen anything other than the switches at fault.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 15:35   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

yeah the contacts get burnt and need a little cleaning, or you can turn the contactor around and use the fresh unused end.

They are pretty easy to take apart, here is me sounding silly on a video lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9hB82crt2k&t=1s
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 14:49   #7
NBZ83

Much appreciated....Will get all these tried folks👌. With the current price of heating me and the wife will be sitting out in the car rather then house,when I get them working 😁
NBZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NBZ83 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 14:18   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A couple of other things to throw into the mix, firstly some cars had a thermostat on the seats so that if ambient temperature was above 10C (this figure varied with different years for some odd reason ) even with the switches on and the tell-tales showing in the switches, no heat was delivered.
Second is that the bulbs in the switch tell-tales may have failed, if you're good with intricate work and a soldering iron, they can be replaced with wire-ended 12V grain of wheat bulbs from ebay or even with a 3mm red high brightness LED and a 680 Ohm resistor.

Also worth checking the fuses, most have fuses in the main fusebox and some models also had a fuse on the seats themselves.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: