Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

265 GLE - Proud new owner

Views : 7868

Replies : 87

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 20:59   #81
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Nah dont sell it mate! What would your grandad think?

Mind you, if you really dont have the time, you should try and get the car to go to an enthusiast so that it will be looked after and probably restored.

Good luck with the sale if you try to go ahead with it.

Any chance of some better pics of any work you have done on the car, even if its just a vax!

Steve
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 21:01   #82
Seb Spiers

Will give it a good clean and take some photos at some point this week I think.
Seb Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 22:01   #83
john h
VOC Member

Red face

Seb, you should keep it.

Even if you don't do any work on it yet, get it on the road legally and drive it; you'll love it!

It has sentimental value to you and it's a nice example of a rare car. Guarantee you'll regret it later if it goes!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 22:02   #84
Seb Spiers

It is road legal.
Seb Spiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 22:10   #85
john h
VOC Member

Incidentally, re earlier posts, there were 260GLTs but sadly not in the UK.

"The GLT Series was a replacement for the striking 242GT, and in Sweden the 240s in GLT equipment were known only as "GLT". You could choose between a GLT saloon with a B23E engine or a B27E engine, and an estate with only a B27E engine. The Dutch Volvo importer took only the GLT saloon with the B23E engine in the 240 range and called the car 244GLT. Instead of the Turbine wheels used in Sweden, the Dutch 244GLT had the wheels of the later 244Turbo, which was introduced in the second half of 1980.

The reason for having only one GLT in the Dutch range was, I think, because of the difference between the two 260 ranges. Sweden could only offer (there are always exceptions of course) the 262C and 264GLE, while in the Netherlands the 262C, 264DL, 264GL, 264GLE and 265GLE were available. All the cars, in both countries, were fitted with B27E engines.
"

Extract from this link: http://www.volvo200.org/modellen/drivertekst.htm

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 13:13   #86
jonah

Hello everyone, been lurking for (quite) some time!

I don't own a Volvo (boo! hiss!), but have done in the past. A 760td which my father passed on to me after he bought an 850 2.5 20v. I subsequently inherited the 850 when my father died - great car + great dad!

He also owned 2 145s and a 245 in the 1970s, which is what leads me indirectly to this, my first post...

I think Steve (16yr old with a 1980 244) is right about the multi spoke wheels being called "sunbursts", and I wouldn't put too much faith in the turbobricks wheel thread being a definitive guide either - looks like a work in progress to me.

As a result of my Volvo owning father I have a number of Volvo brochures from the period 1979-82.
One of which is the 1979 200 series accessories brochure (print date 9/1978). There are "Safety", "Towing", "Comfort" and "Sport" sections and in the "Sport" section are 4 alloy wheel designs.
The brochure shows the multispoke wheel and lists "Sunburst" (it does not say design) Alloy Wheel part no. 1128730-7. Hub cap part no. 1129021-0. This is the small hub cap and no mention is made of the larger type that covers the wheel nuts.
I have another slightly later brochure, also from 1979 (print date 1979), showing the model range including the "new 262 coupe.. added for 1979" and although no mention is made of the wheels there is a drawing of the 262 clearly showing the multispoke wheels, but now with the large hubcaps.

Perhaps the large hubcap was introduced with the 262 as a way of making the multispoke wheel look like a new wheel without the expense of actually producing one! Perhaps the multispoke wheel was even given the name "corona" when fitted with the large hubcap, but it seems clear to me the wheel was originally called "sunburst".

The wheel pictured in post 87 (page 4) of the turbobricks thread, referred to as the "Lego" wheel, is actually called the "GT". The picture below in post 88 shows a similar wheel to the "GT", but it is not the same, this is the "Exclusive". Also, post 90 has a wheel referred to as "the early GT wheel", this is in fact a "Turbine".
The names aren't very Greek are they? As the 262 seems to be the only Volvo fitted with alloy wheels as standard at the time maybe they hadn't thought up that naming scheme yet??

I just thought in the interests of accuracy I should add my thoughts to this thread.

Back to the present day, I may be in the market for a 240 estate in the not too distant future so expect loads of idiotic questions!

Anyone know if the BMW 2.5 6 cylinder diesel (also fitted to Omegas and Range Rovers) will fit in a 240 engine bay?

Last edited by jonah; Apr 8th, 2008 at 13:19. Reason: spelling!
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 19:14   #87
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Probably it will fit. Volvo fitted a straight six diesel (VW) in the 240 but only in LHD markets I believe, so steering column clearance might be the tight spot.

Welcome, by the way!

Old Mar 1st, 2022, 12:35   #88
Joost940turbo

Hello Seb, I just want to let you know that the car is currently in my ownership in the Netherlands. It has 106.000 miles and it is still fully original. (Never has been 'pimped'). The previous owner had the rust on the tailgate fixed. I bought this car in August of 2021 with a broken waterpump. I started working on the mechanics of the car. It still had the original shocks from factory so I replaced those and replaced some bushings. The leather on the front passenger seat was ripped and has been reupholstered. The clearcoat has faded and is starting to come of on the roof and the bonnet. Next big thing is to get a quote on a new paint job for this car.

Kind regards, Joost de Vries

Last edited by Joost940turbo; Mar 1st, 2022 at 13:30.
Joost940turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joost940turbo For This Useful Post: