Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23338

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 10:33   #1
Challo

Default Bringing a 740 back to life

Hi All,

Firstly apologies for this thread as I know i have asked questions on other threads, but I thought a separate thread for my car will help me work through the problems. Also while I'm happy to service my cars, and fix issues I'm a complete newbie to car electrics and troubleshooting. As such I will no doubt be asking lots of stupid questions so please humour me as much as possible.

The car itself is a 1990 740 GLE auto with the B230F engine with 90k miles. It was running up to Dec 2020 when the MOT ran out and sat in a field for the last few months till i bought in Feb and got it back home. Apparently prior to the MOT running out it was running lumpy but that's all i have. The owner wasn't really a car guy and just ran it for 2 years with no servicing. The car itself looks clean underneath and doesn't appear to be any rust in the footwells or on the sills.

Current issue is that I cannot get it started. The car will crank but will not fire at all. I have done some reading and changed the following:

1. Battery - The previous one was flat initially and while it did charge, it kept running flat so thought bite the bullet and get a new one.
2. Bougicord HT Leads - The ones on the car looked old, and heard good things about these.
3. Spark Plugs - The old ones where black and oily. Fresh plugs installed, but I do need to re-check the gapping.
4. Fuel Filter - No history on when this was changed.
5. Fuel Pump - I know this might not be the issue, but the old one looked crusty and while changing the filter I thought might as well get a new pump on the car.

I have ordered a new Fuel Pump Relay as the one on the car is from 2005 and thought worth ordering just incase. I know it seems like I have chucked alot of parts at the car, but some I was going to change as the history is scarce and its a 30year old car. I have just ordered a new multi meter as my one is broken to test some of the electrics.

My main concern is I cannot hear the fuel pump prime when I turn on the ignition. From a post on the FB group I have been advised to check power to the pump with the multi meter, then check the fuses and power to the fuse box and then the relay. I can feel the relay clicking so I don't think its this but will check again to be sure.

I will hopefully get testing this week once the multi-meter arrives, but anything I should check at the same time to cross off the list?

Also just to add, I have checked the timing belt and all intact. The car has petrol in it, and I cleaned the MAF sensor when changed the air filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car.jpg (118.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Pump.jpg (147.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Spark.jpg (88.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg fUSES.jpg (97.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Challo; Mar 15th, 2021 at 10:49.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote