Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power System Service Urgent, and brakes!

Views : 6508

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 14:35   #11
chrisjcoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138gat View Post
HI
Mine did exactly the same last November ( 2.0D ) lost all electrics while driving including power steering and brakes, pulled into a layby and turned it off then it wouldn't do anything. Towed home with RAC and looked on here for advice. Changed alternator and it's been fine since. Got the alternator from a independant auto electrician matching exactly what was on car. £185 and no exchange, easy fit for a reasonably confident diy mechanic.
Thanks, further indication that it's the alternator!

What makes me angry though is that I took it to the garage saying the alternator was shot, I'm not sure they even looked at it! Is there any way to tell if the alternator is at fault without the ability to get the engine running? I'm aware that you can check the battery charge when the engine is on and compare to off to see if any charge is getting through, and would have hoped the garage would have done this instead of obsessing over a f'ing vacuum pump.

Edit - sorry, just realised this is another thread about the error warning, and I opened a newer thread about the battery.
chrisjcoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 14:11   #12
Superscaff75

Unhappy

Hello people , I have the exact same problem and I thought it might be alternator , Havnt checked yet its all only just happened , warning lights on dash saying power system service urgent , Then now went to start car Totally Dead not a single ouce of power to power even an led .

2 weeks ago I got Alarm System Service Urgent message Then car wouldnt start after 2 hrs AA man managed to jump start it , So I checked battery my car is 2010 The battery been on since new the test showed it was average at best yet it had just finished a 1 hour journey back home , Bought new battery and fitted that ( Task n a Half just changing battery ) Car been ok since , However last night and this morning got the power system service urgent message , Another thing I should mention we have replaced Headlight bulds 3 times each headlight in past 8 month , Luckily we bought them from Halfords who had a buy one get one free deal and their bulbs guarenteed for 12 month so its costing Halfords a few quid as they retail around £28 each bulb . We also have developed a brake problem basically when you brake it feels like near side front wheel is gonna fall off .

Back to what I thinking about the Problem , due to the bulb problem plus the power system message , I thought Alternator Needs checking , Googled it Arrived here ( did two weeks ago but didnt register ) seen this post after going to car and it being dead . Im now wondering if the brake thing might be partly this too after reading above . as there is nothing wrong as far as i can tell with front wheel, brake pads , disc or calipers .

I will post up once problem resolved .
Superscaff75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2015, 15:11   #13
JungleBurgler

Default power system service urgent

just had this 'power system service urgent' message appear with the red triangle warning light this morning on way to work.

Have heard whirling sound come from engine in past 4 or 5 weeks.

only had it serviced last week at indo garage

Stuck multi meter on battery, 12.8v while off. goes up to 14v when car running and revved.

have ordered car diagnostics kit online. should arrive on Monday.

Going to chance driving the half hour home this evening and park her up until i can get diagnostics kit on it and see if i can find a specific code...
JungleBurgler is offline   Reply With Quote