Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 front bumper fog lights

Views : 1165

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2015, 20:40   #1
Scouseladchris
Volvo S40 SE Sport R Desi

Default S40 front bumper fog lights

Hi I purchased my s40 in December with upgraded headlights under the bonnet there are two can bus boxes which enable the new light bulbs but they upgraded the main beam but not the front fog light if seen people driving off a night with just the front lights on of a night and they look good I was wondering if anyone knows what I'd need to swap them over as they look daft and don't match helpful if anyone has links and or pics of there's converted cheers
Scouseladchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 21:01   #2
JBONE
S40

I just put LED bulbs in my fogs to get the colour match with my headlamps

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=Led+fogs

JBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 04:33   #3
Scouseladchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post
I just put LED bulbs in my fogs to get the colour match with my headlamps

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...light=Led+fogs
I must say JBone looks very good also looking at your picture your cars 6months newer than mine and my headlight seems to be in a different set up were your main beam are closer to the volvo badge mine are closer to the indercators odd is that standard or have you made customs also the orange lights at the side of mine also dont light up as yours do mines and se sport r design model so i imagine it should any tips ? Also my bulbs are a lot more blue than yours ! Ill try upload a pic
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 04:37   #4
Scouseladchris

See the difference between mine and yours JBONE i know its daylight but harder to see but best i had haha
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 07:47   #5
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouseladchris View Post
Hi I purchased my s40 in December with upgraded headlights under the bonnet there are two can bus boxes which enable the new light bulbs but they upgraded the main beam but not the front fog light if seen people driving off a night with just the front lights on of a night and they look good I was wondering if anyone knows what I'd need to swap them over as they look daft and don't match helpful if anyone has links and or pics of there's converted cheers
Much as I have a reputation for banging the same old drum, use of foglights in anything other than conditions of reduced visibility (<100m by the rules of the road in the UK) is:

a) illegal (fixed penalty fine can be issued by the police)
b) incredibly annoying for many other road users
c) makes the driver look like a ned

Just saying. By all means swap the bulbs for something else but they aren't driving lights.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 09:42   #6
JBONE
S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouseladchris View Post
I must say JBone looks very good also looking at your picture your cars 6months newer than mine and my headlight seems to be in a different set up were your main beam are closer to the volvo badge mine are closer to the indercators odd is that standard or have you made customs also the orange lights at the side of mine also dont light up as yours do mines and se sport r design model so i imagine it should any tips ? Also my bulbs are a lot more blue than yours ! Ill try upload a pic
Mine are the standard Volvo Bi-Xenon headlamps where as yours are after market HID, that's where the differences will be. The amber side markers should be on all the time so its probably worth checking the bulbs or a fuse. Headlamps are removed easily enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Much as I have a reputation for banging the same old drum, use of foglights in anything other than conditions of reduced visibility (<100m by the rules of the road in the UK) is:

a) illegal (fixed penalty fine can be issued by the police)
b) incredibly annoying for many other road users
c) makes the driver look like a ned

Just saying. By all means swap the bulbs for something else but they aren't driving lights.
Using them as driving lights wasn't mentioned.

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:11   #7
Scouseladchris

See i thought as theres two seperate switches for front and rear fog the front could be used as a seperate light source for night driving as i seen a v70 driving round running then and that was at day time and i also seen a s40 with them on of a night odd probly not worth it then haha and as for the other lights have to check them over always noticed that when passing other s40s
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 10:15   #8
JBONE
S40

Ok you do mean driving lights then. Some S40's from 2010 onwards have LED Driving lights, it was a optional extra.

Old Mar 11th, 2015, 12:51   #9
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBONE View Post
Using them as driving lights wasn't mentioned.
It was implied (which scouseladchris backed up by the post that followed).

As Jbone states, some 2010+ Volvos feature LED DRLs (daytime running lights, not driving lights). These extinguish as night when the dipped beam lights are switched on.

You can't turn fog lights into DRLs simply by putting LED bulbs in as the units are E marked as foglamps and aren't classified as DRLs.

If the V70 you saw was driving with fogs on at night he shouldn't be. If he had DRLs on and it was dark one might argue that he should have his dipped beam on. Personally I feel that the front LED DRLs used by many manufacturers now should be banned unless the rear tail lights also illuminate. We get plenty of idiots driving around our locality with just their LED DRLs on at night and the rear of the car is in complete darkness. It's extremely dangerous.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; Mar 11th, 2015 at 12:53.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote