Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought a new Dashcam - IMPRESSED!

Views : 11517

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 20:38   #1
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Default Bought a new Dashcam - IMPRESSED!

Well I've had a cheapy type dashcam in my car for the last 3 or 4 yrs and it has proved itself invaluable a few times, only one of these £30 Ebay types

A bit on the big side, but it's lasted well, until last week when it stared playing up and I decided to replace it..

Now, in my car, I have the camera, plus the Snooper Pantera mounted up near the mirror (Snooper needs GPS) and what with the phone cradle, things were getting a little cluttered...

So I ordered ONE OF THESE yesterday..

It arrived this morning, and is very neat, tidy and small..

Best of all, not only is it a very high quality dashcam, it also is a fully functional Snooper GPS speed camera/trap alert system, both at once!

Highly recommended as I only have one little box on the screen now, and it tuck up nicely behind the mirror - Handy that it also constantly displays an accurate GPS speed too..

It has a G Force sensor and a movement sensor, so you can leave it powered up when you lock the car up, and it will detect movement and/or a bump and start recording from 15 sec before the event. It also comes with PC software that lets you view the footage and accompanying Google maps imagery from the GPS coordinates.

I'm impressed, and it takes a lot!

Oh, you also get lifetime free speed camera database updates..

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 20:47   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
Well I've had a cheapy type dashcam in my car for the last 3 or 4 yrs and it has proved itself invaluable a few times, only one of these £30 Ebay types

A bit on the big side, but it's lasted well, until last week when it stared playing up and I decided to replace it..

Now, in my car, I have the camera, plus the Snooper Pantera mounted up near the mirror (Snooper needs GPS) and what with the phone cradle, things were getting a little cluttered...

So I ordered ONE OF THESE yesterday..

It arrived this morning, and is very neat, tidy and small..

Best of all, not only is it a very high quality dashcam, it also is a fully functional Snooper GPS speed camera/trap alert system, both at once!

Highly recommended as I only have one little box on the screen now, and it tuck up nicely behind the mirror - Handy that it also constantly displays an accurate GPS speed too..

It has a G Force sensor and a movement sensor, so you can leave it powered up when you lock the car up, and it will detect movement and/or a bump and start recording from 15 sec before the event. It also comes with PC software that lets you view the footage and accompanying Google maps imagery from the GPS coordinates.

I'm impressed, and it takes a lot!

Oh, you also get lifetime free speed camera database updates..

Mike
That looks good. Does it log the GPS coordinates continuously? The reason I ask is that I am currently querying a NOIP I got for speed just before Christmas. It's my car and on a road I use a few times a week but myself and my other half are certain that we were not on that road that day - it was on Sunday 14th Dec and we were somewhere else travelling to a family Christmas gathering.

Hence I'm looking for a gadget that can log (and keep for a long time) the location of the car? (Managed to keep a clean license for 10 years despite doing 45,000+ miles a year so not going down well....)
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 20:54   #3
Ducklakeview

I've not had a play with the viewer software yet, so I'll let you know - Here's the manual to download...

Mike
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 21:18   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
I've not had a play with the viewer software yet, so I'll let you know - Here's the manual to download...

Mike
Thanks Mike, much appreciated..............
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 21:54   #5
Ducklakeview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Thanks Mike, much appreciated..............
Couple of independant reviews, HERE and HERE

Interestingly, from one of those reviews...

Quote:
And it will certainly know where you are in relation to those annoying cameras, as the DVR-3HD comes with a very accurate GPS which, in the event of an accident, can plot your position and route directly onto Google Maps, complete with detailed telemetries to help prove your innocence should an incident ever go to court
And from the other...

Quote:
High sensitivity G-Sensor and GPS receiver.
A built-in G-Sensor and GPS antenna records speed, location and time and impact data. Once an incident is recorded, DVR-3HD overlays the data onto Google Maps® for easy viewing and downloading; it’s like having your very own Black Box recorder.
Could well be what you are looking for!

BTW, I paid £139.99 with free next day courier delivery.

Mike

Last edited by Ducklakeview; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 21:57.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:25   #6
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Looks good bit of kit I must check that out.
Thanks for sharing.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:05   #7
Ducklakeview

Quote:
That looks good. Does it log the GPS coordinates continuously? The reason I ask is that I am currently querying a NOIP I got for speed just before Christmas. It's my car and on a road I use a few times a week but myself and my other half are certain that we were not on that road that day - it was on Sunday 14th Dec and we were somewhere else travelling to a family Christmas gathering.

Hence I'm looking for a gadget that can log (and keep for a long time) the location of the car? (Managed to keep a clean license for 10 years despite doing 45,000+ miles a year so not going down well....)
Just had a play - YES, it does, along with speed etc, all overlaid onto google maps...

Mike
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:11   #8
Ducklakeview

Her ya go, screenshot....

Lots of info!

In fact, here's a video screengrab - I am now very impressed, this would be hard evidence to have in any court or insurance case! £140 is a small price to pay IMHO.

Mike

Viewer windows are resizeable too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22-01-2015 23-06-14.jpg (197.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg resizeable.jpg (241.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by Ducklakeview; Jan 22nd, 2015 at 23:22.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:29   #9
Ducklakeview

The night time video isn't too shabby either.. AND I've just noticed the G Sensor readings, that show acceleration, braking and cornering forces too!

Mike
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 23:46   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:

Don't forget that the authorities have to prove that you were at the scene, not you prove you weren't.
Are there family members who would confirm in court that you were with them? You can't be in two places after all.
Did you make any purchases on the way which you can prove with receipts, bank statements or CCTV from a shop/garage?

I had a NOIP claiming I ran a motorist off the road in my lorry and totalled their car.
I had no recollection of any incident and luckily my tacho confirmed that at the time of the "incident", I was 10 miles away and stationary.