Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on an 850 T5R please

Views : 902

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 16:50   #1
Salad

Default Advice on an 850 T5R please

Hi everyone,

I am looking at carrying out a bit of a rescue mission on a tired T5R I have found, but am trying to get an idea of scale before spending out on it!.

The main problem seems to be the climate control has died. The current owner said it would not allow hot/cold control of the air into the car and it the fan was permanently on so they disconnected it. Is there a common failure in the climate control units, and is this likely to be the unit itself (switch box in the dash) that needs changing, or is there another hidden control unit behind the dashboard! Sorry, I know this is vague as I don't own the vechicle and didn't see it fail, just asking on the chance this type of failure rings a bell with those experienced with Volvos!

The other think I was going to ask is does the engine in these cars typically drink oil or not? This one does a bit apparently, though it didn't appear to be smoking at all on inspection.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am thinking it might be one of those cases where potentially it is not financially viable to do the work on it, but I always think its a shame to let an old car go waste if it can be brought back, especially rare ones like this
Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 21:33   #2
st5ve
S60 R

Not sure about the climate control, I know that the 850 series does not have the best climate control system in the world, could it be the matrix unit that was leaking and the previous owner has bypassed it?

How many miles has the car done? If the car had only done short journeys before your ownership then it is possible that condensation would have built up in the engine oil that when you gave it a decent drive it would appear that it is using oil. Do the plugs look ok?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:55   #3
RSF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Not sure about the climate control, I know that the 850 series does not have the best climate control system in the world, could it be the matrix unit that was leaking and the previous owner has bypassed it?

How many miles has the car done? If the car had only done short journeys before your ownership then it is possible that condensation would have built up in the engine oil that when you gave it a decent drive it would appear that it is using oil. Do the plugs look ok?
Was going to say the same,heater matrix.
Check at the bulk head on the inside of the engine,dead in the centre to see if the pipes (2) go into the bulk head or ar connected together.

It will be cheap enough for you to get one from any 850 but removal and fitting is the hard part as the hole dash may need to come out.

Is there any hot air coming threw at all?
Check the passenger floor for water or dampness too,also rip the carpet up to check to see if it has rotted it.
Also ask if it loses water a lot too.

Most the new volvos eat 1litre of oil every 10k (I've read)so losing a bit is not bad,it may just have a leak some where,might even be a simple one like tightening the oil filter or sump plug.

This is not a expensive job if you fix it your self by all means.
If you can live with no hot air your ok.

Car is deffo worth trying to save,but I guess it's down to what he actually want's for the car.

I hope to own one in the future,yellow saloon,manual and I will keep it for ever,regardless of cost's!.

Go get it,it's not to hard of a job.

Ps I'm pretty sure and 850 heater matrix will go in,if it is the matrix.

T5 WANTED,CHEAP PROJECT WITH MOT

Last edited by RSF; Aug 11th, 2009 at 13:04.
RSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 21:59   #4
storming

Default OIL Consumption

If the car has not had its PCV system changed then that could be why it is using a lot of Oil, blowing it out through the oil filler Cap gasket, Or worst case the crank case Seal. This could be very expensive to have repaired by a garage!
storming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 22:49   #5
turbo estate

As for the air con problem,as said probably matrix and you can check that by indeed looking under the carpet or even smell it in the car(if it's not to long ago)

Another poss. could be that it's leaking gas(coolant gas that is)you can check that by putting a fluoresent in and then have a look under the car.

Also check (as said,if it's losing coolant/water)

As for the oil bit check on top of the engine(under the plastic cover)if there's oil(filling cap needs new rubber)

Take the dippstick out and see if it's smoking(pcv)

The best thing is to take someone with you(if posswho knows his way around these cars.

As for saving,if not too bad an T-5R/R is always worth saving,but that's just me.

Good luck with it,

Gr,walter