Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBDII Scanners

Views : 1803

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2022, 18:28   #1
Adndy

Default OBDII Scanners

Hi all,
I have a 2014 S60 VEA D4 R-design and my question is, what determines what an OBDII Scanner can monitor is the ECU or the scanner itself? I bought 2 cheapish OBDII dongles off of fleabay. Purchased Torque Pro and Car Scanner but neither of them will monitor what I want. I suspect my EMAP pipe might be blocked so I wanted to monitor it and wanted to check oil temp etc but I am not able to check any of these. Does anyone have any ideas?

Andy
Adndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 19:19   #2
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Different car, but I had the same experience with a cheap adapter. Later I bought the Carly one, which was good, but I sold it when I sold the car.
I now have a Carista adapter and use it in conjunction with Car Scanner - seems adequate for keeping an eye on things. I can't justify getting Vida at present. Suggest you have a look at Carista and Carly. Carly is the more expensive, but I think both offer some sort of try before you buy deal.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 20:57   #3
johnnyoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adndy View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2014 S60 VEA D4 R-design and my question is, what determines what an OBDII Scanner can monitor is the ECU or the scanner itself? I bought 2 cheapish OBDII dongles off of fleabay. Purchased Torque Pro and Car Scanner but neither of them will monitor what I want. I suspect my EMAP pipe might be blocked so I wanted to monitor it and wanted to check oil temp etc but I am not able to check any of these. Does anyone have any ideas?

Andy
Hi with the carscanner app have you gone through the list of sensors and picked out the ones to view?
Also make sure you have selected the vea engine in settings
On mine i can select from a huge number of sensors oil temp included
I use a viecar dongle
johnnyoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 21:08   #4
johnnyoro

Hi managed to find this image on my phone that shows oil temp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220903_054506.jpg (104.9 KB, 26 views)
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 16:26   #5
Adndy

Default OBDII Scanners

Thank you very much for the replys. It's starting to make a bit more sense now. What made me think that perhaps it was the car itself which determined what sensors could be monitored was that both the Scanners I have read the same sensors and don't read the same sensors. They read IAT, cooling temp. MAF, EGR position, IMAP, throttle position, distance travelled with MIL on etc etc but they don't read EMAP, long or short fuel Trims, DPF monitoring etc. Maybe they are both just the same cheap crap and I have to spend a bit more cash to get what I want.
I have been through all the individual sensors on Car Scanner and picked out the ones I wanted but they just remain blank and I Have chose the VEA option in the car settings.

Andy

Last edited by Adndy; Dec 10th, 2022 at 18:03.
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 20:38   #6
johnnyoro

Hi I am not too sure what to suggest but try this
Insert the dongle with the ignition off
Turn ignition on
Give the car a few seconds to settle
Open carscanner app and then touch connect on the screen (on mine a few little screens display the connection process )
The connection bar should turn green
Then touch dashboard .
You can use the demo mode to set up and customise the various displays to suit what you need
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 11:06   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

just get vida it will pay for its self in 2 uses and you can then help other owners as well . once you have it you will wonder why you struggled with other readers its more than just a code reader. its a parts catalogue with diagrams you can test and operate various components and has wiring diagrams it takes a bit of learning to use it but its well worth the effort.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2022, 19:28   #8
Adndy

Oh well I went a bit berserk and bought Vida/Dice! My wife wasn't impressed but told her she could buy a new hoover!
I haven't the faintest idea how to use it. Hopefully I will learn.
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. Much appreciated.