Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 auto high beam problem

Views : 1040

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2023, 15:39   #1
V60john

Default V60 auto high beam problem

I got a V60 Inspiration early in the new year . 2018 model with 38K miles.
I got used to using AHB on my previous 2013 V60 and I like it although I do recognise there can be a delay in seeing an oncoming car and activating dip .

This is not the problem here is that the car "sees" the oncoming vehicle and dips ( I do not get flashed) but the Blue high beam indicator in the drivers display stays illuminated blue.

The car is still under Volvo select warranty although Rybrook Preston have not been helpful with other issues .
I am keen to get this matter resolved in warranty .

Any suggestions what might be the problem
V60john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 20:37   #2
Spirit Man

Smile

Is the car fitted with a "Active Xenon Headlamp" shutter system that shades only the part of the high beam area that is pointing where the oncoming vehicle is travelling. The high beam stays active (blue light stays lit) but blacks out the beam where needed to stop dazzle occurring. My 2017 XC60 is fitted with this system, when I first got the car it was quite disconcerting seeing the dark areas appear whilst oncoming cars were approaching and the main beam stayed active whilst shuttering shaded the area moved with the of oncoming vehicle until it passed without being dazzled.
Here is a quote from the handbook.

"Car with active Xenon headlamps

If the active main beam has the on/off functionality then the lighting returns to main beam about
a second after the camera sensor no longer
detects the headlamp beams from oncoming
traffic or the rear lights from vehicles in front.
If the active main beam has adaptive functionality then, unlike what happens during conventional dimming, the light beam continues to illuminate with main beam on both sides of oncoming traffic or vehicles ahead - only the part of the light beam that points directly to the vehicle is
dimmed"

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Spirit Man; Mar 24th, 2023 at 21:47.
Spirit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 10:34   #3
V60john

Thanks for that Spirit man and I apologise if I seem a bit dimm here but when I picked up the vehicle the handover was improperly brief and did not cover a lot of stuff. It seems the manuals are not always helpful either .

The spec says I have "active bending headlights with adaptive shadow technology, But I would still have expected the blue high beam indicator to go to the white dipped indication. It does sometimes, but this may happen after 5 secs, ten secs or sometimes not at all.

This is very disconcerting if say the oncoming vehicle appears from around a bend, the blue high beam indicator stays lit , and you have oncoming headlights and no way of knowing if you may be dazzling them .
If however they appear in the distance on a long straight road , you can plainly see the lights dip (not just masking the oncoming car although that happens as well ) As I say though the blue indicator may stay blue for a random length of time after the oncoming car is recognised !

Doesn't sound right to me.
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 13:36   #4
laing

as your car has adaptive shadow technology it is working as it should my xc 60 as exactly the same technology and when I have this activated in the menu it does the same as your car. as spiritman said you should see a dark blockarea blocking out the other car this is where the light from your car is being blocked by the shutters so as not to dazzle the other driver

there are videos on youtube showing the technology working

Last edited by laing; Mar 25th, 2023 at 13:38.
laing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laing For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 10:40   #5
V60john

Quote:
Originally Posted by laing View Post
as your car has adaptive shadow technology it is working as it should my xc 60 as exactly the same technology and when I have this activated in the menu it does the same as your car. as spiritman said you should see a dark blockarea blocking out the other car this is where the light from your car is being blocked by the shutters so as not to dazzle the other driver

there are videos on youtube showing the technology working

Not sure if i like this . Can i switch it off and just get it to dip normally?
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 11:40   #6
Chrisv60

If you're not getting flashed by other drivers then, bearing in mind what others have said, it sounds like the system is working fine.

Just forget about it, you don't worry about whether the airbags would go off or whether the ABS works. Sometimes you just have to trust the technology.
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 13:47   #7
Spirit Man

You can switch it off by turning the lighting switch fully clockwise to the "Headlamp" position from the "Auto" position. The full beam will then work in the traditional way. Personally I would trust the technology, it works well. You will come to trust it after a time.
Spirit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 20:34   #8
V60john

Thanks to all !
Clearly getting to know the car is going to be the key for me .

I travelled a hundred miles to pick up this car at a volvo dealership and with an appointment arranged 5 days prior . When I got there I had to wait for the "sales executive " to arrive from another job , complete the paperwork and then the handover was very rushed cos "he had another customer waiting".
I picked up a bit of info but was left not knowing what i did not know untill I had had the car a fortnight, picked up a bit more myself , asked you guys etc.

Clearly there is a lot to take in ! (my prior car was a 2013 v60 )
I still feel I do not know my way around the car settings adequately and after some "discussions" with the sales manager who was not helpful in any way I just do not wish to visit there ever again.
I would love to name and shame but I suspect forum rules would proclude this

Is there anything like a comprehensive video tutorial to help someone find their way around the options this complicated system. or do I just have to go tho the 690 page manual ?
I have had a quick look around youtube but most seem to be rapid fire overviews . At 73 i need to take a bit more time for stuff to sink in!
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 13:22   #9
V60john

https://youtu.be/hLezs5g2zHk

seems as good as it gets .