Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 934825

Replies : 6616

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:12   #6471
Moomoo
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:06
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ashbourne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really do struggle to see the fascination with 30 year old motor cars. They arenít close to being tax exempt and have poor fuel consumption, so they are expensive to run; at the same time they donít have any of the advantages of more modern motor cars. A similar sized 10 year old car (for example my Skoda Superb estate) will cost about the same as this oneís asking price, only be £20/year to tax, return 50MPG and be far more reliable. Depreciation on a 10 year old motor car has largely already happened, so that will be much the same as the 30 year old one - until it starts getting close to qualifying as an historic vehicle. Once a vehicle gets to 40 years old it becomes tax and ULEZ exempt and the cost of ownership equation changes completely.

Just the thoughts of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob.

Iíve started to view my retirement income and savings as this. I have as much as I shall ever need , I donít crave for anything, by the same token, running a nice car that I like is only going to reduce how much I leave in my will. Not an amount I am to concerned about , quite frankly!🥹

I am very cheap to run so a little extravagance here and there is nice.
__________________
Itís pointless having a battle of wits with unarmed people!

Last edited by Moomoo; May 21st, 2024 at 08:21.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 09:44   #6472
soupytwister
Master Member
 

Last Online: May 21st, 2024 23:41
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really do struggle to see the fascination with 30 year old motor cars. They arenít close to being tax exempt and have poor fuel consumption, so they are expensive to run; at the same time they donít have any of the advantages of more modern motor cars. A similar sized 10 year old car (for example my Skoda Superb estate) will cost about the same as this oneís asking price, only be £20/year to tax, return 50MPG and be far more reliable. Depreciation on a 10 year old motor car has largely already happened, so that will be much the same as the 30 year old one - until it starts getting close to qualifying as an historic vehicle. Once a vehicle gets to 40 years old it becomes tax and ULEZ exempt and the cost of ownership equation changes completely.

Just the thoughts of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob.
You've talked about the head, but missed out the heart & soul!

Up here in Edinburgh, my 31 yr old 240 is LEZ exempt, so it's only the tax bit that is still to come in 9 years.

Having a car with simpler mechanics is also an advantage in terms of DIY repairs, although appreciate parts may become limited/difficult to source in some circumstances. Perhaps if you're running one as your *only* car, then it doesn't make so much sense. If running 2 cars, it makes things easier when one is in downtime.

My son loves driving the 240 for the attention it brings, and the feeling of driving something different from everyone else. I mean, no-one takes a second glance at more modern mass market car (generally).
__________________
Current : MY 21.5 XC90 T8 Recharge R-Design, Denim Blue, Council spec + Winter
Current : XC70 D5 2008 Ocean Race
Current : 1993 240 GL Estate
Prev : MY19 S60 T5 R-Design First Edition
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design

Last edited by soupytwister; May 21st, 2024 at 10:15.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 11:18   #6473
Steve 940
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:42
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Stowmarket
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Iíve started to view my retirement income and savings as this. I have as much as I shall ever need , I donít crave for anything, by the same token, running a nice car that I like is only going to reduce how much I leave in my will. Not an amount I am to concerned about , quite frankly!🥹

I am very cheap to run so a little extravagance here and there is nice.
Here, here Moomoo !!

None of this titting about with 'old' motors make sense, each to their own and all that.... Would be a dull old world if everyone drove around in a bland motor full of technology that we don't really need or want.

Glad to hear you think you're cheap to run

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 11:32   #6474
Moomoo
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:06
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ashbourne
Default

Do I get my reason and prudence star back ?

Please Steve!🙏
__________________
Itís pointless having a battle of wits with unarmed people!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 11:48   #6475
Steve 940
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:42
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Stowmarket
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Do I get my reason and prudence star back ?

Please Steve!🙏
Well we can see, with this one.......

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctio...-estate-n9PYRg

35k pretty spotless MOT history as you'd expect, with links to a famous?? TV personality

Auction at end of month, but get your pre bids in, any predictions???

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 12:06   #6476
Moomoo
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:06
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ashbourne
Default

Not a common colour, inside or out. Very, very nice indeed. The price, not sure on this one, itís right , no question.

Iíve heard thereís space at an IP postcode!😃
__________________
Itís pointless having a battle of wits with unarmed people!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 12:22   #6477
Steve 940
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 19:42
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Stowmarket
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Not a common colour, inside or out. Very, very nice indeed. The price, not sure on this one, itís right , no question.

Iíve heard thereís space at an IP postcode!😃
Afraid not as its a manual, now if it were an Auto.....

As you say, unusual colour, but its just a version of the ubiquitous red, also with such a rare interior colour, getting matching trim may be a long search.

Well my guess is that the reserve is probably somewhere around £10k , who knows? I am registered with that website, so have just set up alerts.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 12:32   #6478
Moomoo
VOC Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 22:06
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Ashbourne
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Afraid not as its a manual, now if it were an Auto.....

As you say, unusual colour, but its just a version of the ubiquitous red, also with such a rare interior colour, getting matching trim may be a long search.

Well my guess is that the reserve is probably somewhere around £10k , who knows? I am registered with that website, so have just set up alerts.

Cheers
Steve
I think the £10k reserve is pretty much certain. It may prove optimistic. The celebrity ownership will make little difference, in my opinion. The interior, as you say, would be a nightmare to source.

I will be interested to see how this one pans out.
__________________
Itís pointless having a battle of wits with unarmed people!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2024, 12:41   #6479
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 18:45
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Just to throw in my two penn'orth, yes it's a very nice car but, as Steve pointed out, the interior is a very rare colour. That trim is still 35+ years old and plastic degrades over time so will be prone to breaking, discolouration and other such nasty things. You could dose it in WD40, Vaseline or similar to get some of the natural oils back into the plastic but that's a hit'n'miss affair - i tried that with the plastic grassbox for my lawnmower. Lovely and black and flexible for about a year, now back to dull grey and not as flexible.

It's also a poverty spec model with keep-fit windows all round but should have central locking and does have bum warmers. It needs at least one new tyre, the Pirelli P6000 - an excellent tyre when new but now it's old, it will be dry and as grippy as a teflon coated ice cube on a skating rink - ask me how i know this!

It could be an excellent car for someone but only at the right price, i'd suggest £3-4k ignoring the so-called celebrity ownership status. Although it's low mileage etc, that in itself can bring problems.
__________________
Cheers
Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2024, 10:07   #6480
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 20:05
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Skeg Vegas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The auction for the Amazon VWW got to £5,300, which I thought not a bad price, but it wasn't enough for the seller as it didn't make the reserve.

Perhaps we see it a few more times yet?


The seller has changed tack to a classified ad, which is probably more sensible with a VWW like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256518961...mis&media=COPY

Ö so, he/she is after £8,750. It is a better idea to state that than have folk try to guess at auction. It is quite a bit more than the highest bid from last week though, so it may take a little while to sell. I think that is quite strong money for a LHD motorcar; weíll have to see how it goes.

__________________
... another lovely day in paradise.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:10.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.