Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water control valve to heater on A/C cars

Views : 1493

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 14:46   #1
narc

Default Water control valve to heater on A/C cars

Just had a bit of a disaster last night, albeit a minor one with no apparent damage. I had just arrived at my son's ATC unit to collect him when clouds of steam erupted from under the bonnet. On inspection (in the dark!) it was obvious that a hose had gone back towards the heater inputs. SWMBO came and picked us up and I went back to the car today.
Now I had assumed that it was the heater hose that had gone but when i (finally) managed to get the hose clip off the block under the inlet manifold and removed the hose the problem became apparent, there is a vacuum operated valve controling the inlet to the heater matrix which had a large hole in it (it is hidden under the distributor cap so I had not noticed it in the dark). Now I assumed that when I bypassed this valve with a bit of copper pipe as a get home measure that I would have had only hot air coming from the heater but that was not the case, so question is what is this valve for and why is it vacuum controlled? I am more used to the non A/C bulkhead mounted valve which obviously restricts the flow of hot water to the matrix by a rotating spectacle blind, the AC version has me stumped.
All help gratefully received!

Best Regards

Ian
narc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 15:09   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

It is the heater control valve, I would say the heater matrix is air locked, hense no hot air

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 16:00   #3
narc

NI_Volvo_nut,

Perhaps I didn't phrase the question well, I know its the heater control valve, but I can still get hot or cold air via the A/C so I am wondering what purpose the vacuum control mechanism to this HCV has and where it comes from. I guess my question is how does this system work.

Best Regards

Ian
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 16:07   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The control valve controls the flow of coolant though the matrix.
However, as the matrix is fed initially from the water pump and then feeds back to the engine (via that control valve) you can still get hot water flowing through the matrix.
You just can't stop the flow.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 16:23   #5
narc

CTCNetwork,

Back to the original question, since without the valve I cannot restrict the flow of hot water to the matrix why can I still turn the A/C down and not have hot air in the cabin (but have hot if I turn it up) and what/where does the vacuum unit do/come from? It obviously opens/closes the valve but it is not controled by the normal wire you have on the Non A/C cars so it obviously is tied into the A/C system somewhere. I would just like to know how the bits work.. I intend to replace the valve anyway.

Best Regards

Ian
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 16:58   #6
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Aircon and ECC on the later 940/960/90 versions, as you point out, use vacuum control to direct your air from the distribution box (which is below the heater matrix) and also control the flow of hot coolant through the matrix.
Hence you should hear a slight hissing when you change the direction of the flow of air as the vacuum control will operate the distribution box.
Hence also why some people will hear hissing in car when they have a damaged or broken vacuum pipe.

I assume that the AirCon part can still supply cooler air independently of the Matrix but I suspect if you popped your hand under the dash the box which the matrix sits in will be pretty hot!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 17:29   #7
gpl1968
VOC Member

I had the same problem recently although on my car the metal end of the valve was perforated by rust and was weeping slowly.

When I made a temporary fix with a piece of copper pipe, I too found that the heater controls still worked.
The heater control valve is designed to control the flow of coolant to the heater matrix. I'm not sure why the heater controls worked (albeit only for one day in my case) when the valve was effectively fixed open.

I decided to replace the valve with a Scantech unit: Part Number: 51.7896, mainly as it was £18 from Braydons as opposed to a best price of £64 for the Volvo part.
I did re-use the vacum diaphragm though, as it had a better action and fits perfectly on the Scantech valve.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 20:00   #8
terrywilde07

I too have had a leaking heater control valve and ordered one today from Braydons, I did have Heater matrix problems (it was leaking too) but replaced it today, easier than I thought, only took 6 hours (from 10am to 4pm) with a 1 hour lunch break (5 'on the job' hrs)... I did bypass the Matrix completely for 2 weeks as I didn't have the time to do the job straight away nor did I want more coolant under my carpets... they weren't to bad, only damp when pressed so I got a wet/dry vaccum on them, come up a treat too

but as the HCV is leaking I have bypassed it with a straight hose connector (not copper tube) so I can have cool air or warm air by using the Air Con to control the cabin temperature... should only take 10 mins to fit it when it arrives

that's the entire cooling system changed in over the last 2 years, Rad, Matrix, all hose's etc, hopefully it'll hold its water now...

and quite pleased with the Matrix swap... no left over screws, no air lock, no squeaks, no rattles, no skin off my knuckles... but more importantly, no broken bits taking it apart or refitting it all... jobs a good un...

Current: 05 Mercedes C55 AMG, 97(R) V40 1.9 TD, 02(51) S40 S
Past: 86(C) 360 GLT, 93(K) 940 Wentworth, 95(M) 440 Si, 94(L) 940 Wentworth, 91(J) 460 GLEi Auto, 98(R) S90 Executive II
terrywilde07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 21:37   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

the heater system on this car has air mixing for heat control . a flap mixes hot and cold air together before going to the cabin , so in normal use this water valve is always open and hot water is always flowing through the heater radiator even when cold air is selected ....
When you turn the AC on the vacuum valve shuts off the hot water supply to the cabin , this takes away a heat source in the car so makes the Cooling more efficient ... So you can safely bypass this valve with a piece of pipe .
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:01   #10
Easy Rhino

I was recently held accountable by my stupidity on this item.

For my 12+ year old V90 (3.0 24V) I refreshed the cooling system earlier this year at about 115K miles, and cheaped out on the heater control valce due to cost.

Duh.

The "cheap" replacement valve lasted less than a year, stranding me. Overall, the total cost including the costs of missing a day's work and a Volvo OEM replacement valve was over &700 USD.

Never again. Put a good replacement valve in there.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Rhino For This Useful Post: