Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

945 Aftermarket Speaker suggestions/experiences?

Views : 1120

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2021, 09:57   #1
Chooch84
940 Noob

Default 945 Aftermarket Speaker suggestions/experiences?

Hi,

So a few years ago I swapped out my speakers in my 940 Estate for some Focal 2 way 5.25" Components at the front and Focal 2 way 5.25" speakers in the rear doors, as I could hear that at least 2 speakers were "ripped". I also installed a Alpine 10 inch sub-woofer for some added depth. I'm not overly impressed with the sound quality, where I should be hearing mid bass notes or higher frequency sounds I'm hearing nothing... It's not my hearing that's at fault as the same sample of music played in my daily driver with a Harmon Kardon system sounds impressive, but lacks deep bass notes.

Has anyone used Focal before and found this to be the case? Has anyone used another brand and found the sound to be close to audiophile quality? Or has anyone used any other 10" sub-woofers. I think this Alpine one might have a limited range of sound.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

T

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2021, 11:38   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The speakers are probably fine, the problem is with the doors in that they muffle certain frequencies.

I have the same front speakers in both my cars and the same/similar head units. In my other beast i get reasonably good quality (as good as you can reasonably expect in a car without spending £Shed-loads) from the front speakers but the reproduction in the Volvo is poor by comparison.

Difficult to make a comparison on the rear speakers as i now have 6.5" rears mounted in the parcel shelf as per the original 8" fitment fed by an amp, no need for a sub as there is enough bass to vibrate the rear screen and anything else close by. Also my other beast is a saloon so again, the comparison fails.

The eventual plan for the Volvo is a pair of 6x9s mounted somewhere in the back facing forward at an angle, fed by a separate amp and bypass the rear door speakers that are a bit of a waste of time in mine as i usually have the back seats down so the seat cushions mask the speakers anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2021, 16:41   #3
Chooch84
940 Noob

That's a good shout, I could modify the stiffness of the door card I suppose, or add some dampening material to the door cards to see if it improves the sound.

I was thinking of going down the 6x9 route and placing them in the back, but I'll end up having to run another amplifier and some more cables throughout the car. The current Focals are amplified using a 4 channel inline amplifier.

I'll start with your initial suggestion. I've ordered a calibrated microphone, so I check to see if there is a difference before or after using some audio spectrum analyser software.

Kr,

T

16 BMW 330e
Old May 27th, 2021, 10:37   #4
tofufi
Premier Member

In my 740 estate, I've got 3 way speakers in the front doors, 2 way speakers in the rear doors, an 8" sub in the spare wheel and a decent head unit. All items are Pioneer and I'm pretty pleased with the sound quality.

All my doors have extra sound deadening, both dynamat style and acoustic foam.

Can't speak for whether it'd pass the test with your ears though
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2021, 23:37   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

I generally leave OEM speakers alone unless they go faulty. Replacements are rarely a good fit. When I was forced to replace the OEM Nokia speakers in my 90s VW (because they were falling apart) I found the best place for cost-effective speakers the right shape/size was http://uk.farnell.com. A wide range to choose from, functional and cheap.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2021, 12:21   #6
m1santhrope

Ive got a poverty spec 940 and whilst working on the doors recently i noticed there were no speakers installed in the doors, but blanking plates behind the plastic grilles.

Can you recommend something that will drop straight in?
m1santhrope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1santhrope For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2021, 13:05   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1santhrope View Post
Ive got a poverty spec 940 and whilst working on the doors recently i noticed there were no speakers installed in the doors, but blanking plates behind the plastic grilles.

Can you recommend something that will drop straight in?
You may find you have dash mounted front speakers instead - check under the grilles on the top ends of the dashboard.

If you decide to go for door mounts, most 13cm/5.25" speakers will fit these :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324541107136

I'm fairly sure the original speaker grilles Volvo fitted to the doors will fit over them but Volvo used an offset screw pattern to fit the OE speakers. You can fit most 5.25" speakers using just two of the securing lugs and the edge of the fixing lugs.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 18:14   #8
Chooch84
940 Noob

Done a frequency sweep after tuning the headunits 9 band eq. You can see around 80Hz it's not great.

I'm going to have a look at the door cards in the upcoming weeks, I'm thinking of using fibreglass to add some rigidity, then some more sound deadening material to add some mass, hopefully, this will help.

I'm guessing my subwoofer enclosure may need tweaking too.
Attached Images
File Type: png Volvo after tuning through headunit.png (29.0 KB, 0 views)

16 BMW 330e
Old Jun 7th, 2021, 19:55   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch84 View Post
Done a frequency sweep after tuning the headunits 9 band eq. You can see around 80Hz it's not great.

I'm going to have a look at the door cards in the upcoming weeks, I'm thinking of using fibreglass to add some rigidity, then some more sound deadening material to add some mass, hopefully, this will help.

I'm guessing my subwoofer enclosure may need tweaking too.
Not just around 80Hz which looking at it, is more like 68-70Hz - now look at 6800Hz (6.8kHz) or there abouts which will be the 10th harmonic of that same frequency, another huge dip!

Have you checked your microphone/spectrum analyser to see if it drops out on those frequencies in a different environment?

Looking at the graph, i'd suggest the microphone has an inherent "dead-spot" at ~68Hz and the 10th harmonic of that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 16:55   #10
Chooch84
940 Noob

I'll check the calibration file and try it in my other car. It could be the sound card on my laptop.

16 BMW 330e