Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting to the bottom of a few issues. 940s b200

Views : 4508

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 17:26   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
Right, so I've finally got some time off work to start to tackle some of the issues and service the ol girl. I recon I've done 300miles so far and she runs great.

I've done the oil change, and airfilter. Not done the fuel yet but it does look recent.

Im now trying to sort the speedo/odo...

Replaced abs bulb, looked ok. Still no light.
I have checked the rear diff sensor and wiring and all looked OK.

Where do I look now? Could it be the abs module? The abs seems to work.
When you first turn the key to position 2 (warning lights on, engine not running) does the ABS light come on?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 17:51   #22
Kingfisher8

Also to add to this, I've checked the relay under the steering column and that seems tobe working all ok.
I've tried reading fault codes but the led only illuminates when I press the button.

Do I have to put the lead in box b too?
Kingfisher8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 17:52   #23
Kingfisher8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
When you first turn the key to position 2 (warning lights on, engine not running) does the ABS light come on?
No, the abs light doesn't come on at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfisher8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 17:58   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No, the abs light doesn't come on at all.
What warning lights do come up?

Also read the code reading procedure again, i think you have to select by using one wire in each box. If you've missed something in the procedure you'll get nonsense results.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 18:19   #25
Kingfisher8

Quote:
What warning lights do come up?

Also read the code reading procedure again, i think you have to select by using one wire in each box. If you've missed something in the procedure you'll get nonsense results.
Most lights i think, from left to right i have. Green triangle? Then washer fluid, light bulb battery, oil, brake fluid? Circle with ! Inside iguess it could be pad warning, the park brake, then annoying flashing seat belt man.

Also I've checked and double checked the code reading, I can get codes from pin 2 and 6.
On pin 2 I had; 1 2 1 and 3 1 1. I've managed to clear them and is showing 1 1 1 now.
Pin 6 showed 1 1 1

But pin 3 i get nothing.

Also on pin 2 code 3 1 1 seems to be speed sensor not seen? Am I right.

Last edited by Kingfisher8; Jun 5th, 2021 at 18:39.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 20:54   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Most lights i think, from left to right i have. Green triangle? Then washer fluid, light bulb battery, oil, brake fluid? Circle with ! Inside iguess it could be pad warning, the park brake, then annoying flashing seat belt man.

Also I've checked and double checked the code reading, I can get codes from pin 2 and 6.
On pin 2 I had; 1 2 1 and 3 1 1. I've managed to clear them and is showing 1 1 1 now.
Pin 6 showed 1 1 1

But pin 3 i get nothing.

Also on pin 2 code 3 1 1 seems to be speed sensor not seen? Am I right.
Green triangle sounds like your Engine Management Light (EML aka "Lambda light"), the rest are all as they should be. Thy all come on when the alternator isn't charging (as shown by the battery one) as a self test and the ABS light should come up under a self test also. Can't remember if it's linked via diodes like the rest of the warning lamps on 1992 cars on or whether it's independent. If it's independent, it should still come on with ignition (KP2) then go off a few seconds later. On basic Bosch ABS up to 1992, there was no on-board diagnostics so you have to fault find the old fashioned way, after 92 with the Bosch ABS2E system, it had built-in diagnostics. That could be why you're not getting anything on pin 6, because it's older than you think. If you have the relay with a fuse on the top clipped to the ABS ECU you have the older style.

The codes you got from the LH system pin (pin 2) are consistent with several things. Remind me, is your speedo working or not? Also is it a turbo or not?

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 21:27   #27
Kingfisher8

Quote:
Green triangle sounds like your Engine Management Light (EML aka "Lambda light"), the rest are all as they should be. Thy all come on when the alternator isn't charging (as shown by the battery one) as a self test and the ABS light should come up under a self test also. Can't remember if it's linked via diodes like the rest of the warning lamps on 1992 cars on or whether it's independent. If it's independent, it should still come on with ignition (KP2) then go off a few seconds later. On basic Bosch ABS up to 1992, there was no on-board diagnostics so you have to fault find the old fashioned way, after 92 with the Bosch ABS2E system, it had built-in diagnostics. That could be why you're not getting anything on pin 6, because it's older than you think. If you have the relay with a fuse on the top clipped to the ABS ECU you have the older style.

The codes you got from the LH system pin (pin 2) are consistent with several things. Remind me, is your speedo working or not? Also is it a turbo or not?
Thanks for the info,
The speedo and odo don't work. And its a 2.0 non turbo.

So am I right in thinking I need to fault find the abs as if its a pre 92? I have the relay with the fuse.
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 21:40   #28
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info,
The speedo and odo don't work. And its a 2.0 non turbo.

So am I right in thinking I need to fault find the abs as if its a pre 92? I have the relay with the fuse.
Sounds that way on the ABS but the speedo and fact it's a non-turbo don't stack up with the fault codes.

Do you know the Bosch part number on the fuel ECU by any chance?

Old Jun 5th, 2021, 22:00   #29
Kingfisher8

Quote:
Sounds that way on the ABS but the speedo and fact it's a non-turbo don't stack up with the fault codes.

Do you know the Bosch part number on the fuel ECU by any chance?
I can look, where is it?
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 22:25   #30
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I can look, where is it?
It's on the fuel ECU which lives behind the drivers kick panel - a few screws to remove the panel then you should see the fuel ECU lurking behind in a bracket that is normally secured with an over-centre type clip - some have a bolt through from the top part of the bracket to the bottom part. No need to unplug it, just release it and find the number starting 0 280 abc xyz.

You'll see the ABS ECU above it, secured in a similar way - if you can get the 10 digit number off that i can compare that to my notes and tell you what ABS ECU you have.