Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Getting to the bottom of a few issues. 940s b200

Views : 4514

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2021, 20:58   #11
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Genuine Filters etc.

Where possible I approach my local main dealer first. They are only a few miles down the road and I usually obtain a reasonable discount. It also keeps me in touch with the parts department staff and keeps them sweet for when I ask them a difficult question.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:07   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Thanks Dave, I missed that in your previous post.
“They who have eyes yet see not”.
Easily missed if you skim read at times Ian!

“They who have eyes yet see not” - Potatoes?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2021, 21:13   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher8 View Post
I usually use auto doc for my parts, have been for a few years, they do Bougicord leads
I know this may be a silly question, but why is it so important to use a genuine oil filter? I've always used mann filters and been good. They have the one way valve in still.
Only reason I ask is don't wanna pay half as much again to post the filter when I get free shipping from auto doc...
I always thought Diss was in Suffolk? They stopped doing free shipping from Germany (where autodoc are) at the beginning of the year unless you spend £Arms & Legs

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 24th, 2021, 08:37   #14
Kingfisher8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I always thought Diss was in Suffolk? They stopped doing free shipping from Germany (where autodoc are) at the beginning of the year unless you spend £Arms & Legs

Technically its Norfolk but on the boarder as our post code is a IP. And my current order of parts with them is £150 and saying free postage.
Kingfisher8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfisher8 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 10:18   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Technically its Norfolk but on the boarder as our post code is a IP. And my current order of parts with them is £150 and saying free postage.
Ah, yeah, just over the border - i sit corrected! (No way i'm standing this early in the day! )

You must have been lucky with your order then, as i said if you're spending a lot i believe it is still free postage but for a single item i've heard they're charging 60 Euros or ~£60 depending on the exchange rate. Also there is the current problem with customs and everything being inspected.

Old May 24th, 2021, 10:32   #16
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Power steering belt is 11.9x1013 P/N 973 487
Alternator belt for non A/C is 11.9 x 925 P/N 973 982
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:13   #17
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
I usually use auto doc for my parts, have been for a few years, they do Bougicord leads
I know this may be a silly question, but why is it so important to use a genuine oil filter? I've always used mann filters and been good. They have the one way valve in still.
Only reason I ask is don't wanna pay half as much again to post the filter when I get free shipping from auto doc...
I always use Mann filters for my cars, always have-I believe Mann either make the genuine Volvo filters or manufacture to an identical spec with the check valve etc. Zero issues ever for me 🙂
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 11:29   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thing is, Mann in common with Bosch oil filters, are manufactured in various places around the world. The Genuine Volvo ones are manufactured by one plant only and usually have a better quality one-way valve and larger filtration area. The others will do the job but the Volvo does it better.

However a useful comparison was demonstrated to me on my other beast recently. I had always used Mann oil filters on that but decided to treat it to a genuine Honda filter. The engine is still as smooth now as when i first did the oil/filter change (it has hydraulic tappets so clean oil is essential) whereas with the Mann filter it would be tappety for the first few minutes after start-up (a known phenomenon with this engine, nothing to worry about) after a few months but using the Honda filter in combination with my customary 0.5L of ATF-U in before the 10W40 means mine no longer does this.

For that reason i switched from Mann to Genuine Volvo on my 760 and noticed that is also smoother and quieter, even though it's overdue an oil/filter change.

A few years back there was a thing of the oil filter casing rusting out. I believe (but may be wrong) they were Wix filters but Mann are made in the same factory so could easily have been those. Obviously this problem has been sorted by the manufacturer but still worrying it happened in the first place!

Given the small increase in cost of a genuine filter over the aftermarket ones, i view it as cheap insurance against problems and/or a replacement engine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:54   #19
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thing is, Mann in common with Bosch oil filters, are manufactured in various places around the world. The Genuine Volvo ones are manufactured by one plant only and usually have a better quality one-way valve and larger filtration area. The others will do the job but the Volvo does it better.

However a useful comparison was demonstrated to me on my other beast recently. I had always used Mann oil filters on that but decided to treat it to a genuine Honda filter. The engine is still as smooth now as when i first did the oil/filter change (it has hydraulic tappets so clean oil is essential) whereas with the Mann filter it would be tappety for the first few minutes after start-up (a known phenomenon with this engine, nothing to worry about) after a few months but using the Honda filter in combination with my customary 0.5L of ATF-U in before the 10W40 means mine no longer does this.

For that reason i switched from Mann to Genuine Volvo on my 760 and noticed that is also smoother and quieter, even though it's overdue an oil/filter change.

A few years back there was a thing of the oil filter casing rusting out. I believe (but may be wrong) they were Wix filters but Mann are made in the same factory so could easily have been those. Obviously this problem has been sorted by the manufacturer but still worrying it happened in the first place!

Given the small increase in cost of a genuine filter over the aftermarket ones, i view it as cheap insurance against problems and/or a replacement engine.
This is really interesting intel, Dave-I’ll try a genuine filter next time I change oil!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 16:41   #20
Kingfisher8

Right, so I've finally got some time off work to start to tackle some of the issues and service the ol girl. I recon I've done 300miles so far and she runs great.

I've done the oil change, and airfilter. Not done the fuel yet but it does look recent.

Im now trying to sort the speedo/odo...

Replaced abs bulb, looked ok. Still no light.
I have checked the rear diff sensor and wiring and all looked OK.

Where do I look now? Could it be the abs module? The abs seems to work.
Kingfisher8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingfisher8 For This Useful Post: