Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

request for help 740

Views : 360

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 21:09   #1
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Exclamation request for help 740

request received to me, can any one help please ?
"Hi,
I am seeking source(s) to call or email that can find a speedometer/odometer unit for me to buy for my 1990 Volvo 740 GL. Yazaki version needed. Volvo part number 3515602. Still checking with Yazaki for their equivalent 8 digit part number. The Yazaki cluster number is 1398736.

My local Volvo Dealer searched his 300 United States dealer network and found no inventory for the needed odometer. I was told that I must get the whole 2 part unit, not just the odometer.

Hopefully your expertise can help. Thank you for your time.
(FYI: If I read correctly, you worked for BT. I worked for AT&T.)

Elliot111
in New Jersey, USA
elliot111@gmail.com

Regards,Richard VOC3801
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 93240se For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 12:17   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93240se View Post
request received to me, can any one help please ?
"Hi,
I am seeking source(s) to call or email that can find a speedometer/odometer unit for me to buy for my 1990 Volvo 740 GL. Yazaki version needed. Volvo part number 3515602. Still checking with Yazaki for their equivalent 8 digit part number. The Yazaki cluster number is 1398736.

My local Volvo Dealer searched his 300 United States dealer network and found no inventory for the needed odometer. I was told that I must get the whole 2 part unit, not just the odometer.

Hopefully your expertise can help. Thank you for your time.
(FYI: If I read correctly, you worked for BT. I worked for AT&T.)

Elliot111
in New Jersey, USA
elliot111@gmail.com

Regards,Richard VOC3801
I had a similar request and have been helping. The situation as i understand it now is his local Volvo mechanic is going to try and make a repair from spares he has and fix any other faults he can find.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 21:49   #3
jor
VOC 20573

Default 740 request

I am surprised that you have not been able to find someone to repair yours - as 940s did not make it to the us there are still quite a few 740s left and although its been a while since I last looked there are discussions about inst panels and odometers and their repair on (?) swedishbricks,turbobricks, matthews volvo site, dave barton and perhaps others. There is a link on the Dave Barton site to an odometer repairer, but unfortunately its for a vdo panel rather than Yazaki.
Thomas bryant has a little article on his site about odometer repair here; thosbryant.wordpress.com/2018/10/24/odometer-repair-1990-volvo-740/ and he is a frequent contributor to the swedishbricks discussion group. If you contacted him on his own site he is bound to know of someone who could help. Not a bad idea to save an ebay search for 'volvo 740 breaking'

jor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 22:35   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
as 940s did not make it to the us
jor
They did, but only up to 1995 and were then dropped, something to do with having to comply with OBD to a particular standard and/or emissions not complying to the latest changes in the USA. The 960 continued until the end of production but that of course had the whiteblock engine by then so i suspect the emissions was the bigger part of it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: