Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 110412

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:22   #61
volvo2
Master Member

Default BBC Watchdog

BBC Watchdog is presently looking into this.

Can I suggest that those of us who are concerned immediately write to Watchdog by going on-line to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/ ; or write to: BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS; or telephone: 020 8535 1000

In a recent communication with the program they told me that they need more individuals to make contact with them before they can follow up the issue (e.g. apparently they had 50 contacts regarding the Audi problem).

From what I have seen, if the BBC gets involved then we just might get a result.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 13:52   #62
PunkDebutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant_andy
As I mentioned earlier I am looking at buying a 2000 model V70 140 BHP Auto.

I am however worried about the ETM problem. So I called 4 independent dealers from around the country and spoke to there service departments. All of them said that the ETM is a problem, but not a big one! Local dealer said they changed 2 last year. They also said that the total cost was £400.

Andy
My dealership in Peterborough originally quoted me £400 but that is just the part and not including labour and software. The total was £742. I am surprised that your Volvo dealership said they have only changed 2 in the last year. My research shows the average dealership is doing over 4 ETM replacements a month and actually keep the part in stock now.

I am so cross with Volvo UK's blase attitude about it. Buy the car but realise that you may end up like me and shelling out over £1400 in one month on the car and this is a car that has been very well looked after and has full Volvo Service History.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 14:03   #63
bryant_andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
My dealership in Peterborough originally quoted me £400 but that is just the part and not including labour and software. The total was £742. I am surprised that your Volvo dealership said they have only changed 2 in the last year. My research shows the average dealership is doing over 4 ETM replacements a month and actually keep the part in stock now.

I am so cross with Volvo UK's blase attitude about it. Buy the car but realise that you may end up like me and shelling out over £1400 in one month on the car and this is a car that has been very well looked after and has full Volvo Service History.
Keeping the C-Max TDCI does seem the best option, shame as I love the V70's

Andy
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 21:44   #64
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default Watchdog interest is growing, please act now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following Melvyn's post - Yes, BBC Watchdog emailed me today after looking at this forum thread. I subsequently phoned them back and had a chat about these issues.

They've asked me to send them copies of my ETM bill and the reply I received from Volvo following my complaint as they are building a case for a Watchdog feature. So please, please contact Watchdog. This is our chance to get this out in the open and pursuade Volvo UK to act fairly in response to this issue, as they finally did in the USA.

Watchdog by going on-line to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/ ; or write to: BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS; or telephone: 020 8535 1000
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 05:02   #65
sierraman

Thumbs up ETM/ Watchdog

Hi
Just to let you know that i have also submitted my details to Watchdog.

I also contacted The Times last week but they don't appear to be interested.

Lets hope Watchdog highlight this problem soon
Regards
sierraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:14   #66
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

I would love to add my names to the list of complaints to Watchdog, however I got shot of my car before the ETM failed. I doubt they'd be interested in the unproven warning signs I was experiencing...

I do have a copy of an email from Volvo on the subject though, not disputing the problem, just saying they're not planing any action on the component right now.

Maybe Watchdog would be interested in that?

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:49   #67
volvo2
Master Member

Yes, let's please send everything we have to Watchdog.

By the way, I think the contact web page I gave for Watchdog is incorrect (http://www.bbc.co.uk/feedback/ ). What they do have is a form that we can fill in on the following web-page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/index.shtml

I can't seem to find an e-mail address for Watchdog on their web-site.

Melvyn
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:18   #68
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Righty ho, I've sent my complaint off.

I won't help me much now, but I'd still like to see Volvo put this right. They deserve a bloody nose for this mess. I'm sure the trade-in value of my car was severely hit, are people in the trade already wising up to the fact that 99-01 cars are too much trouble?

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:10   #69
Loonstar27

this does not make for happy reading. I picked up a 2000 V70 T5 yesterday......am sincerely hoping that there is nothing seriously wrong with it.

Like most, I bought it because of Volvo's appearingly good reputation of building solid reliable cars and now I hope I've not made a large and expensive mistake...

Jamie
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:14   #70
tedm

Has anybody had a problem with 3rd party extended warranty cover on the ETM?

I have cover on my wifes 43k 2000 V70 T5 that specifically covers the throttle body. So I'm presuming that there will not be a problem should the problem arrise (which I'm sure it will).
12 months premium was £370, and obviously covers a load of other stuff on the car.

I was thinking of selling the car (whcih we've had from new) but realistically it's A LOT of car for what it's now worth. Still love my XC90 though
tedm is offline   Reply With Quote