Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Light - ETM failure -> Volvo US admits to problem.

Views : 110150

Replies : 434

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 17:36   #51
s40euro

As long as I remember the story in the States has begun in California with the emission requirements.

Then it was taken to the court by the Federal Goverment with Hidden Warranty argument.

Now what we can do in Europe is (I do not know the legal requirements in UK)to force the Volvocars by sueing by ourselves or trough the consumer agents (or whatever the authority is) or may be the DMV (again do not know the name of department in UK.)

Mine has been changed 10K km. ago by the ex owner. But I think twice while accelarating while my kid is in the car.

I will try my chance in Turkey by trying to find out who has problems and go trough some consumer agencies..

2000 V70 T5 Auto @90K Km. full stock.
Euro spec Clear Headlight + Turn Signals+Strut Brace+Engine Protection Plate has arrived and installed
s40euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 19:45   #52
ascott1
VOC Member

Default Magnetti Marelli still seem to be going strong...

http://www.magnetimarelli.com/ boasts of its long history since 1919, but does link this at the bottom of its home page -

"After Market
Products and Services
------------------------------------------------------------
Magneti Marelli has divested in 2002
its A.M. activities to RGZ Group"

Google shows a site at http://www.magnetimarelli.net/MM/GB/ for 'Aftermarket'

It does look like a Volvo-specified problem, though, I suspect (though not an expert) in EU product liability terms Volvo/Ford are probably liable... but not as easy to sue as in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
Wasn't the rumour that MM have already gone bust? Even if there's a new company trading as Magnetti Marelli now, Volvo AB wouldn't be able to sue them for problem with parts supplied from the previous incarnation of Magnetti Marelli...

Anyway, as you say, Volvo probably designed, or at least specified the part and Volvo knew about it problems as early as 1998, so it's not like Volvo have been taken by surprise on this.
When did Ford buy Volvo (1999?).
ascott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 14:08   #53
Mark Blowers

Ouch I have a 2000 v70 T5 - guess what the ETM has failed - I am UK do I have any recourse for action as it seems to be a recognised fault
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 14:22   #54
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

You can visit your friendly local dealer and try and get a contribution? It might help if the car has full Volvo service history.

Otherwise, you're on your own.

As for me, I've decided to sell my V70, as much as I love it because I'm fed up of this whole issue and the risk it poses to me and my family.

I'm trading it in tomorrow against a nearly new Vauxhall Vectra. Not in the same league, obviously - but no major faults, certainly not safety related. What did go wrong on the early cars has been fixed via recalls, even when it's not a safety issue....who says big old bad GM is so terrible?

So that's it. One less Volvo owner thanks to Volvo's stubbornness over this whole mess.

I'm back to owning Vauxhall's knowing it'll be a mostly trouble free experience (we've had 6 of them in our family recently) with affordable dealer servicing and parts etc.

I may return to Volvo one day if they can learn to put the customer before profits.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:28   #55
STE-MAL
You Can't Beat A Swede

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner
I may return to Volvo one day if they can learn to put the customer before profits.

It's a shame to lose someone to another mark, but I can't say I blame you. This is a problem that need's a fix. I blame Ford. Quantity over quality! I wouldn't be shocked if they have said "well most ETM's are failing out of warrenty so let's just leave it". Just my opinion.
2017 V40 T-3 Inscription Auto
STE-MAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 08:27   #56
bryant_andy

Having read this thread it now looks very unlikley that I will buy the superb 2.4 140BHP Nov 1999 V70 I have been offered.

I wanted to switch from a 54 reg Ford Focus C-Max TDCI to the V70 Volvo as I don't much faith with Ford, but it looks like there is not much difference

I am suprised as I thought that Volvo stood for safety & quality ! Not so sure now.

Andy
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 15:30   #57
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Don't blame you at all Andy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see market values of 99-01 cars fall dramatically if more people cotton onto this fault, so if you've got one, be prepared to lose lots of money on it or stick with it despite the ETM troubles...not sure which is worse!

Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 16:20   #58
sholtby
Premier Member

Was the faulty ETM fitted to any other makes of car?

Thanks
Simon
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:05   #59
bryant_andy

As I mentioned earlier I am looking at buying a 2000 model V70 140 BHP Auto.

I am however worried about the ETM problem. So I called 4 independent dealers from around the country and spoke to there service departments. All of them said that the ETM is a problem, but not a big one! Local dealer said they changed 2 last year. They also said that the total cost was £400.

Is it just a case that this forum like others I am on focus on the doom & gloom of car ownership?

Andy
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:18   #60
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant_andy
As I mentioned earlier I am looking at buying a 2000 model V70 140 BHP Auto.

I am however worried about the ETM problem. So I called 4 independent dealers from around the country and spoke to there service departments. All of them said that the ETM is a problem, but not a big one! Local dealer said they changed 2 last year. They also said that the total cost was £400.

Is it just a case that this forum like others I am on focus on the doom & gloom of car ownership?

Andy
That's what I thought, so raised the question a few pages back. I was convinced enough to sell mine, others will be happy to deal with it. It's always going to be down to whether or not you think it's dangerous or too expensive or troublesome...if you can live with it then cool.

Too right it's easy to focus on the negative things. The V70 is a great car, shame about Volvo's customer "care" though. I'm missing my V70 already after 1 day, but I'm sure not missing the threat of sudden failure in the middle of overtaking/fast motorway work/busy junctions etc...