Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing problems

Views : 2506

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2022, 22:18   #11
Whyman
Premier Member

Never run with two gas bottles, what are you doing with all the gas?

We manage a whole year with just one bottle. I have taken the base and bracket for the second bottle out to make access to the front locker easier. If you need more gas most sites stock it.

Last edited by Whyman; Nov 5th, 2022 at 22:21.
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 08:59   #12
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
The car’s wheelbase over the Vito will make it a different experience.be.
Definitely. The XC60 isn't the longest wheelbase out there. On the CAMHC forum there was someone who posted similar issues to the OP but they never gave up if they resolved it or not.

Quote:
Playing with nose weight will make little difference.be.
Having personally experimented with this, I disagree and to the OP, if you try this at least you can tick it off your list of variables that effect towing.

Quote:
Years of towing tells me that if an outfit looks right, it probably is as good as it will ever be.
Oh yes...I see so many outfits with car nose up, caravan nose up, caravan nose down, car rear tyres looking under inflated
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 18:40   #13
watto64

Our 2011 hyundai santa fe towed our elddis crusader with no problem and was very stable considering we were towing at maximum weights, move onto 2017 and we purchase another santa fe, the modern looking one with identical powertrain, outputs and on paper towing capacities. First tow with the 2017 SF with exact same loading set-up it was very bouncy and lots of swaying...googling led to the conclusion that the SF had been softened up for european markets...problem was fixed by installing MAD auxillary progressive springs.

I guess what im saying is that even changing to the same model of car can lead to completely different towing characteristics.

Before we had the XC90 i was looking at the new Ssangyong Rexton but owners were already fitting MAD springs due to softer rear ends than the outgoing model..
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 20:33   #14
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

It might be worth trying your father in laws van behind your car and your van behind his - that way you’ll know for sure if it’s the car or the van. I think I’ve seen before that some people find the air suspension a bit squidgy when towing.

I’m tow a 1500kg Bailey which is naturally light on the nose, even fully loaded it’s 80kg at best - still feels rock-solid.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2022, 20:32   #15
watto64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
It might be worth trying your father in laws van behind your car and your van behind his - that way you’ll know for sure if it’s the car or the van. I think I’ve seen before that some people find the air suspension a bit squidgy when towing.

I’m tow a 1500kg Bailey which is naturally light on the nose, even fully loaded it’s 80kg at best - still feels rock-solid.
Hi Frank,
Your not 'ChocT' of the CAMC Club Together are you?
watto64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2023, 10:23   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy123 View Post
Thank you all for you input. Spoke to my Volvo dealer who fitted the Maxxis tyres after the last MOT and before i bought it) and rulled out that the tyres were not suitable (or at least should be adeqaute but I may change to a decent brand before too long). Their only other suggestion was that the cars stability control (ESC) could be conteracting the Alco ATC and to maybe try turning it off, but i can't imagine that is the case otherwise there would be a lot more chatter on this forum about that. Checked the Alko ATC today and all working OK and tow head pads etc all in good shape. The Volvo retractable towball doesn't appear to have any sort of coating on it as i treid rubbing with some fine emery paper and it just scratched the surface.
So i went for a drive down the A303 towing the caravan with the XC60 and then with my Vito van just to compare and rule out the Alko setup or the caravan being at fault. I think my conclusion is just that the caravan behaves perfectly well, but that the XC60 and its air suspension (in Dynamic/Sporty mode) just has a much softer suspension than the Vito and any caravan movement transfers itself to the cars rear end and is more noticable. I have not towed this caravan with a car before and maybe this is normal? I will try and reduce the towball weight as suggested by 37 Ruby, but not easy with this Swift as I run with two gas cylinders usually and there is only so much i can fit under the island bed without shifting too much weight to the very back, which is not a good idea.
Replying two months late I know but I’m staggered that the dealer suggested turning off ESC. that shows the do not understand anything about towing, or how the cars systems work….
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote