Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another water in footwell thread

Views : 3462

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 21:27   #1
StatusRed
Premier Member

Question Another water in footwell thread

A while ago I noticed some water in the passenger footwell but initially thought it was from the AC compressor and didn't think much of it. After some constant rain overnight on Friday, I noticed a significant amount of water in the same place on the rubber floormat. The water is dripping from just under the glovebox.

I don't have a sunroof, but I noticed around the window seal it's risen up a bit and looks aged, do we think this is the likely culprit? It's not as bad on the driver's side where there's no water noticed.

As far as I know the window is original, do we think it needs a need window (with new seals) fitting? Or will some roof and gutter sealant fix it? Or is this whole window seal thing a red herring?

Thanks.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak

Last edited by StatusRed; Oct 2nd, 2022 at 21:58.
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 21:37   #2
rowdy

I wouldn’t go smothering your car in roof and gutter sealant.
Are you sure it hasn’t been replaced in its lifetime? It has been known for these to have had windscreens replaced and not fitted properly, which can lead to them leaking.
Have you jacked the car up on a front corner recently, as there can be a bit of flex that can also lead to windscreen leaking.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowdy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 21:58   #3
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
I wouldn’t go smothering your car in roof and gutter sealant.
Are you sure it hasn’t been replaced in its lifetime? It has been known for these to have had windscreens replaced and not fitted properly, which can lead to them leaking.
Have you jacked the car up on a front corner recently, as there can be a bit of flex that can also lead to windscreen leaking.
Last jacked it up about a month ago, and noticed some water in the footwell before that.

Only reason I say I think it might be the original is because I can see it's a genuine Volvo windscreen and haven't had it replaced in the 7 years I've owned the car.

What do you think about the last photo showing the seal at the top passenger side of the windscreen? Does it look bad enough to cause a small leak?

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 22:52   #4
rowdy

Yes possibly. Remove the a pillar cover and tip some water over that area to see if it’s coming in through there
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 23:14   #5
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes possibly. Remove the a pillar cover and tip some water over that area to see if it’s coming in through there
Will give that a go when I have time, do you reckon it's possible to get the seals replaced without a new piece of glass? Or would it be worth replacing the whole thing anyway at that point.

Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 09:27   #6
rowdy

It’s a bonded screen. No chance that’s coming out without being broken I doubt.
I’m not sure if your car insurance windscreen cover would cover worn windscreen seal, a new screen would probably be upwards of £500 it might be better to wait until the screen is conveniently broken by a stonechip
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 20:02   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
I’m not sure if your car insurance windscreen cover would cover worn windscreen seal, a new screen would probably be upwards of £500 it might be better to wait until the screen is conveniently broken by a stonechip
I see, I see ;o

Old Oct 4th, 2022, 06:15   #8
Teddy1975

Quote:
When I had my windscreen replaced, the guy pulled the old one in one piece. Of course it's possible to remove a bonded windscreen, they cut through the bond using steel wire.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 17:08   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1975 View Post
When I had my windscreen replaced, the guy pulled the old one in one piece. Of course it's possible to remove a bonded windscreen, they cut through the bond using steel wire.
I would expect the issue is less the fact the screen is intact, and more the fact that places like auto glass may be reluctant to come out for windscreen seals when the glass is in tact.

That’s how I read it anyway?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 18:46   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I would expect the issue is less the fact the screen is intact, and more the fact that places like auto glass may be reluctant to come out for windscreen seals when the glass is in tact.

That’s how I read it anyway?
But my worry is... if I got an aftermarket windscreen fitted, is it going to be worse than the original Volvo one I currently have?

Tags
footwell, leak, roof, s40, water