Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 vs D5

Views : 24671

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2021, 06:42   #11
Briggo

To be fair after getting the powerpulse hose in mine fixed it did make a noticeable difference in pickup.

On the note of remaps, make sure you take into account that it'll likely cost more on your insurance, some insurers won't cover depending on age/driving history. If you don't declare you run the risk of void insurance and if in warranty, voiding that too on the effected parts i.e. the engine.

So yeah while you can map a D4 to D5 power you have to take all the above into account, plus if you're talking about maps the D5 maps to 290.

Quote:
So basically you can turn a D4 into a D5 with reliability, with nothing to worry about long term.
Er that's not quite true, the engines have differences e.g. the turbo is different. On a D4 remap you're putting more strain on the turbo compared to a non mapped D5.

Last edited by Briggo; Feb 15th, 2021 at 06:50.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 07:19   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
i see your point but even so... it is reliable. 220/230 hp on a D4 it's reliable and torque around 470/480 nm. More than that no.
Friends have chipped their cars and they have proven to be anything but reliable... there is a great deal of snake oil amongst the tuning companies.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 08:45   #13
Haldex
Premier Member

Some people claim they’ve driven a D5 with a cracked PP hose for a year without noticing anything - some people say that there is a noticeable difference - but in any case - it has no effect on the engine functionality, no effect on emissions and a (subjective..) effect on performance - so I wouldn’t go as far as calling it a reliability problem on a D5. My factory pipe is at 65K kms now (and I’m anything but babying my XC60..) still running strong - if (when?) it goes - with this many reliable kms (and so many smiles put on my face over those miles..) - I’ll think of it as a maintenance item.

One must also not forget that D4 is already a remap of a D3 - so chipping it would be a remap of an already remapped engine.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 11:16   #14
scw

PowerPulse is at its most noticeable when pulling away from a full stop.

When working, a stomp on the loud pedal means instant full-power take-off. (I appreciate that it activates at other times, but this is the most noticeable of them).

If the PP pipe has blown, then stomping makes no difference compared to regular throttle input; initial acceleration is pedestrian until the turbo spins up. I haven't driven a D4, but I would expect this is how it would feel.

Note: This is completely unrelated to the sluggish gearbox issue, where there's a delay on throttle input while the 'box takes its sweet time to downshift. Most noticeable when rolling up to a roundabout.

Steve
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 07:12   #15
Briggo

Quote:
Some people claim they’ve driven a D5 with a cracked PP hose for a year without noticing anything - some people say that there is a noticeable difference
I bought the car without knowing it was broken. I drove it for a month before I took the car to Volvo to get something retrofitted, they did a health check and replaced it.

I instantly noticed the pickup on collection, I've never owned a Volvo or been in a D5 before this car. I think that's pretty good blind test.

But yes it doesn't add any BHP or owt, it's just that initial small pickup and you notice it at slower speeds. If it breaks outside of warranty I won't fix it.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 08:31   #16
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by met24 View Post
Not in the UK it doesn't, unless you went for a V90CC. The choice here is quite limited compared to the rest of Europe. For a long time you couldn't get a T6 (or B6 petrol as it is now) except as a CC, and even now it's only available as a CC or R-Design.

It's not just Volvo who do this -- the Germans are the same.
Not true at all. You can configure a B4 (D4) or B5 (D5) within the AWD variant in the UK but it depends on the trim you select.

My 2 cents: i have a D4 and I would buy it again. The price difference is huge and it's not worth the investment in my opinion. If I was available to give that difference for a D5, I would do a little more stretch and buy the T8 instead.
On top of that, it depends where you live since the eco taxes are a bit heavier for the D5 comparing it to the D4.

Last edited by jonnyu; Feb 16th, 2021 at 08:35.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 11:59   #17
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Depends on the car - if you're looking at a V90 then the D4 engine is only available with FWD and the D5 only as AWD, whereas if you're looking at a V90CC then it doesn't matter what engine you specify, they all come with AWD (and you can't even get it as a T8).

Not sure what's what for XC60s though, not something I've looked into personally.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 19:07   #18
theonlyone

Default D4 v D5 Test

Here you go. I found this on you tube - side by side acceleration tests of a D4 v D5. It's an XC60, but that doesn't matter. I'm still wondering whether or not to Polestar my loaded V90CC D4.

https://youtu.be/V2REHLTut7c
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 19:39   #19
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi.
If anyone has any issues with insurance for a re-map then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 19:50   #20
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
The price difference is huge and it's not worth the investment in my opinion. If I was available to give that difference for a D5, I would do a little more stretch and buy the T8 instead.
On top of that, it depends where you live since the eco taxes are a bit heavier for the D5 comparing it to the D4.
In France the price difference was €2800 when I was buying (sept 2018). Would you call that huge when buying a €60K luxury car? On the other hand, here they tax cars based on HP (what they call “fiscal power”) - so yeah, there’s a slight difference in annual cost of registration/insurance - but even more so on a T8.

In my case, T8 just doesn’t fit my driving habits. I live in a large city- almost never drive my XC60 locally- so I wouldn’t benefit from the electric range- and I’d be paying a huge premium in gas on long journeys- hence the D5.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote