Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 vs D5

Views : 24663

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 15:56   #1
mark2410

Default D4 vs D5

i know they are said to be the "same" engine but tuned differently but is there actually a difference, physically or are they really, completely identical?

i.e. if they are identical then couldnt the D4 just be remapped to make it a D5?

or have i completely missed something?
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark2410 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 16:40   #2
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
i know they are said to be the "same" engine but tuned differently but is there actually a difference, physically or are they really, completely identical?

i.e. if they are identical then couldnt the D4 just be remapped to make it a D5?

or have i completely missed something?
D5 has powerpulse technology. it reduces Turbo lag. the difference is basically power pumping delivering.

If you go somewhere to remap a D4 they'll tell you, that a stage 1 offers you around 230hp. Reliable horsepower. Torque around 470/480 nm. The D5 has 480nm of torque. So basically you can turn a D4 into a D5 with reliability, with nothing to worry about long term.

The german company called HEICO, that modifies Volvo cars, remaps the D4 with 225 hp and 480 nm of torque. Just an outside example.

But there are some minor differences between the D4 and the D5. Same engine with some different components like the powerpulse technology technology as i wrote above.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Feb 14th, 2021 at 16:42.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 16:55   #3
BobaRob

Don’t forget the AWD on the D5
BobaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BobaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 16:55   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It appears that the D4204T11 didn't have PowerPulse, so maybe that version of the D5 could be achieved by remapping a D4? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volv...tecture#Diesel

A while ago I contacted Celtic Tuning about remapping my D4. This was their reply...

Celtic TuningTHE PERFORMANCECeltic TuningCeltic Tuning
The Volvo V60 2010> ECU remap takes the power from 178bhp up to 215bhp and the torque from 295lb/ft up to 335lb/ft.

This stage of software is designed as a software upgrade only meaning it is all within safe tolerances of the engine and drivetrain and requires no hardware modifications.

Celtic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningCeltic TuningTHE COSTCeltic TuningCeltic Tuning
The cost of the remap is £325.00 all-inclusive for which we travel to your location whether it is home or work place.

With all remaps we offer a 14-day satisfaction guarantee which gives you plenty of time to ensure it is exactly what you are after if not we will revert your car to its original software and fully refund you.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 17:25   #5
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobaRob View Post
Don’t forget the AWD on the D5
D4 has also the choice of AWD
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 21:56   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

PowerPulse aside, most significant difference is a larger VNT primary turbocharger on the D5 vs. a fixed-vane smaller primary turbo on D4 - resulting in more power and better efficiency throughout the range, quicker spoolup at low rpm, a more efficient EGR treatment etc. PowerPulse just adds pep to an already stronger setup.

Comparing an aftermarket remap of a lesser engine with a higher power, larger turbo OEM setup and calling it reliable power? Engineers in Volvo are probably dumb as f*ck for adding so much complex hardware - whereas they could have just slapped an aftermarket chip and call it a D5.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 22:07   #7
met24

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
D4 has also the choice of AWD
Not in the UK it doesn't, unless you went for a V90CC. The choice here is quite limited compared to the rest of Europe. For a long time you couldn't get a T6 (or B6 petrol as it is now) except as a CC, and even now it's only available as a CC or R-Design.

It's not just Volvo who do this -- the Germans are the same.
met24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 22:58   #8
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
PowerPulse aside, most significant difference is a larger VNT primary turbocharger on the D5 vs. a fixed-vane smaller primary turbo on D4 - resulting in more power and better efficiency throughout the range, quicker spoolup at low rpm, a more efficient EGR treatment etc. PowerPulse just adds pep to an already stronger setup.

Comparing an aftermarket remap of a lesser engine with a higher power, larger turbo OEM setup and calling it reliable power? Engineers in Volvo are probably dumb as f*ck for adding so much complex hardware - whereas they could have just slapped an aftermarket chip and call it a D5.
i see your point but even so... it is reliable. 220/230 hp on a D4 it's reliable and torque around 470/480 nm. More than that no.
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 23:03   #9
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Talking about reliability... in the other hand... D5 seems to be, even with a stronger setup, a less reliable engine. D4 is a much more reliable engine. And given the problems that the D5 has with PowerPulse... i guess it all comes down to reliability.
Old Feb 15th, 2021, 02:07   #10
coppice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
D5 has powerpulse technology. it reduces Turbo lag. the difference is basically power pumping delivering.
How much does it reduce the lag in practice? The lag in my V90 D4 can be really annoying.
coppice is offline   Reply With Quote