Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where to find car modem spec?

Views : 1585

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2021, 08:44   #1
mark2410

Default Where to find car modem spec?

just got a 2017 v90, im trying to find what the spec of the modem in it is, 3g/4g what bands it supports, what category its able to receive at??

is there anywhere i can find these details??
2018 v90 D4 LHD
2009 C30 T5
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 09:13   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Iirc, 4G modems were fitted to cars produced after April 2018. Someone else may be able to confirm this. Before then they were all 3G.

The in-built modem isn't accessible to the user in any way and is used only for SOS, Volvo on Call and some app functions.

If you want access to the internet for Spotify, etc, you need to install your own SIM card in the slot provided or tether your phone. Installing your own SIM card automatically disables the in-built SIM and all data is then transferred via your own SIM.
Old Nov 7th, 2021, 19:40   #3
apnicolle

My previous V90 CC was a 2017 (June) model and had the 4G modem. If I recall you can find the model number somewhere in Sensus and then Google it, which will tell you whether it’s 3 or 4 G. Or connect to fast.com from your phone when connected to the car Wi-Fi and see what the speed test result is.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 07:35   #4
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
If you want access to the internet for Spotify, etc, you need to install your own SIM card in the slot provided or tether your phone. Installing your own SIM card automatically disables the in-built SIM and all data is then transferred via your own SIM.
in-build SIM i have never heard of that. Do you have more info about it?
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:35   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
in-build SIM i have never heard of that. Do you have more info about it?
A tale of two modems (and SIMs). The car has a modem and associated SIM that is inaccessible and is used to provide connectivity for SOS and Volvo On Call. It ensures that emergency connectivity is available on all cars.

The so-called 'built-in' modem, for which one can insert a SIM and is now standard, used to be an optional extra. IF the built-in modem is present and has a working SIM, the car will use this modem and SIM for all data.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 09:09   #6
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnicolle View Post
My previous V90 CC was a 2017 (June) model and had the 4G modem.
In that case, the change to 4G would've been around April 2017; i.e. for MY2018 cars.

My MY2017 car is 3G. I've tried using my own SIM with it but reception was rubbish compared to my tethered 4G iPhone.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 10:53   #7
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Can anyone please tell me where the P-SIM reader is for the latest MY22 XC60?

The picture below is saying that it is in the passengers footwell area – a little door. For MY22 this is no longer the case.

Anyone have a pic of where its now hiding on the MY22 XC60?

Many thanks

P-SIM - Copy.JPG
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 12:05   #8
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Can anyone please tell me where the P-SIM reader is for the latest MY22 XC60?

The picture below is saying that it is in the passengers footwell area – a little door. For MY22 this is no longer the case.

Anyone have a pic of where its now hiding on the MY22 XC60?

Many thanks

Attachment 138438
I don't think that it has a P-SIM reader. My understanding is that you get 4 years of data included as part of Google Automotive Services.

The price list says 'Includes 4 Years Data (for in-car apps or vehicle communication)'.

There's also some bits of information in the manual:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-entertainment
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 12:45   #9
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I don't think that it has a P-SIM reader. My understanding is that you get 4 years of data included as part of Google Automotive Services.

The price list says 'Includes 4 Years Data (for in-car apps or vehicle communication)'.

There's also some bits of information in the manual:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-entertainment
That is interesting.

As like you say, it appears to be an inbuilt modem and SIM that uses a subscription-based model controlled by Volvo.

So, if I understand correctly the logic follows:
  • MY2021 XC60 – The dealer installs a complementary data SIM into the Modem giving the owner 3 years usage; after which time the owner can then go and purchase their own data SIM from a phone retailer and install it themselves into the cars Modem.
  • MY2022 CX60 – The car is provided with an inbuilt data SIM from the factory with a 4-year subscription from new; after which time the owner can re-subscribe and pay for further years direct with Volvo.

Note: Both the above exclude the other Modem & SIM used for the SOS function.

Is this how it has changed between MY21 and MY22?

Cheers
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 14:50   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
That is interesting.

As like you say, it appears to be an inbuilt modem and SIM that uses a subscription-based model controlled by Volvo.

So, if I understand correctly the logic follows:
  • MY2021 XC60 – The dealer installs a complementary data SIM into the Modem giving the owner 3 years usage; after which time the owner can then go and purchase their own data SIM from a phone retailer and install it themselves into the cars Modem.
  • MY2022 CX60 – The car is provided with an inbuilt data SIM from the factory with a 4-year subscription from new; after which time the owner can re-subscribe and pay for further years direct with Volvo.

Note: Both the above exclude the other Modem & SIM used for the SOS function.

Is this how it has changed between MY21 and MY22?

Cheers
Yep, that's my understanding, apart from one minor point. For MY21 cars the complimentary SIM provides one year's data usage (up to 100Gb) rather than three years.