Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Uttoxeter

Views : 16710

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2021, 17:47   #31
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Didn't know this was on.
you can always go to the northen bkv next month
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 20:23   #32
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tic auto 1995

hi all i really enjoyed the show and was able to meet some forum members too
a great day considering what we have been through over the last 2 years
roll on the next v.o.c. rally
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 22:41   #33
WUMPSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootandy View Post
I went to this event this morning, having never been to a Volvo club rally before, sadly I shall never be going to another, we turned up early not in a Volvo, (currently restoring an Amazon) the steward on the entrance was at best ignorant and rude, I’ve been a member of many classic car clubs throughout the years and can honestly say that was the least friendly reception I’ve ever received!
Shame….
There is 2 sides to being ignorant and rude your post and attitude seems to hit both in my opinion
Old Jul 12th, 2021, 22:52   #34
Dippydog
Premier Member

Had a look at the photos via the link excellent photos as usual.Both my cars make appearances-the 960 twice and the V70 once.We as a family group even make a "guest" appearance in one of the photos of the prize giving,although the photo of us at a table is from behind[people often tell me that's my best side]
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 08:42   #35
bigfootandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WUMPSTER View Post
There is 2 sides to being ignorant and rude your post and attitude seems to hit both in my opinion

Could you please explain what is ignorant and rude about my post?
I was simply stating the facts regarding my experience at the rally
bigfootandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 09:58   #36
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Had a look at the photos via the link excellent photos as usual.Both my cars make appearances-the 960 twice and the V70 once.We as a family group even make a "guest" appearance in one of the photos of the prize giving,although the photo of us at a table is from behind[people often tell me that's my best side]
You weren't the silver 'R' reg V70 parked two or three up from us, were you, 'D.D.'? Ours was the rather scruffy dark green 'V' reg, also snapped as we left. I've a VOC yellow flash in the rear window, and a blue roundel on the bottom RHS of the 'screen.

I thought the 'freebie' was a nice touch; we bought a second to give us one each, and Linda also bagged a nice sweatshirt in red (possibly the one photographed) for a tenner! We didn't win anything in the raffle, though!!

All in all, a good day out!

Regards, John.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:26   #37
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootandy View Post
Could you please explain what is ignorant and rude about my post?
I was simply stating the facts regarding my experience at the rally
As a long-standing member of both the club and this forum, 'bigfootandy', I'm personally very sorry that you felt the way that you did - it reflects badly on us all. Whatever it was, I am sure that it was a very rare occurrence. Why not give us another chance? Come to the next event (there is one planned in September, I think), and, if you still feel aggrieved, have a quiet word with one of the officials - they are all approachable and would I'm sure welcome your constructive comments.

In my long experience of the club, I have never had cause to feel that way. On the contrary, I have always found the VOC to be one of the most welcoming and friendly car clubs around. Certainly, my own experience on Sunday has given me no reason to change that view. Especially n the light of the past year or so, I think the organisers are to be commended for what they achieved at Uttoxeter on Sunday, and it is regrettable that you may not have found it as enjoyable as - from the posts above - the majority of those attending obviously have.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 10:47   #38
ilmiont
VOC Member

My first BKV and felt welcomed by everyone I spoke to. It was a good day out, seemed very well organised and at capacity for the venue. The free gift was a nice touch indeed. I think I had four maybe five strangers around my car at one point helping out with my wiper incident; thanks to everyone who found the materials and helped fit the foam bodge that got me through intermittent rain to Halfords in Stafford late on a Sunday ahead of a very wet journey down south.

Besides the BKV, I have to say the VOC membership is such good value that being a member is really a "no-brainer." Just from the Halfords and Opie Oils discounts alone, my membership is paying for itself. I'm soon planning a mega-purchase at Halfords to get a trolley jack, toolbox, axle stands etc. so I can start working on the car myself - that's going to run in the hundreds and the VOC card is going to pay for itself on that transaction alone.

Now with Shell and Pirelli discounts too - I don't have a convenient Shell locally (normally on BP) but did get to use my VOC Shell fuel card on the way to the Volvo600. It's all worth having and the club staff must be doing a tremendous amount of work behind the scenes to create and maintain these relations, so thanks all. Then there's Driver, it's obvious the work that's going into that. In my opinion the new cover design and interior layout is a welcome improvement that's lifted the magazine even further.

Many thanks to all involved for such a strong overall offering.

Last edited by ilmiont; Jul 13th, 2021 at 11:18.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 11:22   #39
stephenevans99
Team TorqueVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
As a long-standing member of both the club and this forum, 'bigfootandy', I'm personally very sorry that you felt the way that you did - it reflects badly on us all. Whatever it was, I am sure that it was a very rare occurrence. Why not give us another chance? Come to the next event (there is one planned in September, I think), and, if you still feel aggrieved, have a quiet word with one of the officials - they are all approachable and would I'm sure welcome your constructive comments.

In my long experience of the club, I have never had cause to feel that way. On the contrary, I have always found the VOC to be one of the most welcoming and friendly car clubs around. Certainly, my own experience on Sunday has given me no reason to change that view. Especially n the light of the past year or so, I think the organisers are to be commended for what they achieved at Uttoxeter on Sunday, and it is regrettable that you may not have found it as enjoyable as - from the posts above - the majority of those attending obviously have.

Regards, John.
^^^^REPEAT^^^^^

I honestly couldn't agree more. I didn't see a gloomy face at Uttoxeter as everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves so much. I had lovely conversations with folk I've never met before & shared a few laughs with the caterers that were brilliant. I even had a nice chat to the lady on Grounds Duty/Litter Patrol who were praising everyone and their lovely Volvos. All the VOC Officials were brilliant...very friendly & approachable and there to ensure we had a great day.

Occasionally things don't go to plan, some times we might catch an Official or fellow Member having a busy moment and we don't get their full attention - this may come across as them being rude maybe BUT I can guarantee this won't be the case, more a bit of bad timing or perhaps a little confusion/mis-understanding if a non-Volvo attends. The Marshalls are all volunteers and are there to ensure you have a brilliant event.

From a Cheeky Northerner with a twisted sense of humour and a fetish for Twix....the Uttoxeter BKV was excellent.
stephenevans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2021, 11:25   #40
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
I'm with you John and l have tried to give a balanced reply in an earlier post to "bigfoot" but as can be seen he has not replied to my offer of friendship.

I too have been a member for some years and find everyone very helpful but sometimes an attitude can be taken the wrong way as in this case..........maybe!
That said, "bigfoots" opportunity to reply to a member who is both supportive
and sympathetic has wained somewhat in recent hours, l wish him well.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post: