Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2nd fault in as many days...

Views : 249

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 17:22   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default 2nd fault in as many days...

Went out to day to check up on possible wheel bearing noise, come home and 2 hours later go to go out again and the clutch pedal is almost to the floor - about 1" of travel. I have pulled it up with my hand and have driven around for about an hour and there is no difference in my mind to how it was yesterday and before, and how it is now. I'm thinking clutch slave cylinder failure, as I experienced this with my 2004 V70, but did not have a dropping clutch pedal.

I have been under the car and removed the undercover, which is unmarked - literally. The connection between the clutch housing with a pipe and bleed nipple is also bone dry. Looking around the engine is amazingly tight with no leaks evident of any fluid. My 2004 V70 leaked fluid onto the snow - easy find
I enclose a few pics -showing the bleed nipple and the base of the clutch housing which has a crescent moon cut out. Black charge pipe is to edge of image.Would I be correct in thinking any fluid from the clutch slave cylinder would leak from this point.
I checked the fluid reservoir and its still full to the max. I don't see this as a "one off"
As usual thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
Bob
PS As challenges usually occur in 3's no doubt I'll be back tomorrow seeking more guidence and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Base of gearbox with hole 01.jpg (202.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Front face of engine looking up 01.jpg (171.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch Bleed Nipple 01.jpg (124.3 KB, 15 views)
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 22:10   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Sounds as though you may have a problem with one of the seals inside either the master or slave cylinder.

Instead of the fluid moving as it should with piston it'll move past the piston, leaving the pedal stranded at the bottom end of its travel. When you pulled the pedal up the fluid simply found it's way back to where it's meant to be.

There doesn't have to be any external loss of fluid as the problem is that faulty seal is internal - the fluid is simply ending up within the wrong part of the cylinder at the wrong time.

Chances are it'll be OK for a bit, but the risk is it could leave you stranded without warning.

I'm guessing the slave cylinder on these cars is internal, in which case I think it'll be a transmission off job to replace it. I'm not sure, but I wonder if possibly a fluid leak could contaminate the clutch itself?

There's something to be said for good old cable clutches - return springs and cables were not that hard to replace! I had a clutch return spring snap on a 740 many years ago. I needed a tow, but it took minutes and cost pennies to fix.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 08:15   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Sounds as though you may have a problem with one of the seals inside either the master or slave cylinder.

Instead of the fluid moving as it should with piston it'll move past the piston, leaving the pedal stranded at the bottom end of its travel. When you pulled the pedal up the fluid simply found it's way back to where it's meant to be.

There doesn't have to be any external loss of fluid as the problem is that faulty seal is internal - the fluid is simply ending up within the wrong part of the cylinder at the wrong time.

Chances are it'll be OK for a bit, but the risk is it could leave you stranded without warning.

I'm guessing the slave cylinder on these cars is internal, in which case I think it'll be a transmission off job to replace it. I'm not sure, but I wonder if possibly a fluid leak could contaminate the clutch itself?

There's something to be said for good old cable clutches - return springs and cables were not that hard to replace! I had a clutch return spring snap on a 740 many years ago. I needed a tow, but it took minutes and cost pennies to fix.

Jack
Yes slave cylinder is internal, and a leak does contaminate the clutch. This is what happened with my 2004 V70. Fortunately I had a Volvo extended warranty which covered the cost. For good measure the DMF was found to be damaged too. It also was replaced. The new only bad bit was I had to authorise the removal of the gearbox at my risk until they found a warranty issue. Ie if they did not find a warranty claim I’d be responsible for labour costs. As there was evidence of failure I told them to proceed. Not sure how I would proceed if this was the case today.
Change master cylinder,( lower cost)then the slave..?
Cheers Bob

Edit:- Thought...Assuming its a seal issue..
The pipe between the clutch master cylinder and where the pipe disappears into the gear box housing is metal+rubber. If I clamped the rubber section, that would reduce the flow and if pressure were felt at the pedal ( cos the master seals were OK, the slave seals would be at fault. No pressure would indicate the fluid was bye-passing the seal = master cylinder fault.
Does this sound logical?
It would only would work with a permanent fault, and at the moment the pedal has remained normal position and operation over night.

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold

Last edited by 100K+; Mar 20th, 2024 at 09:26.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 17:04   #4
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Thought...Assuming its a seal issue..
The pipe between the clutch master cylinder and where the pipe disappears into the gear box housing is metal+rubber. If I clamped the rubber section, that would reduce the flow and if pressure were felt at the pedal ( cos the master seals were OK, the slave seals would be at fault. No pressure would indicate the fluid was bye-passing the seal = master cylinder fault.
Does this sound logical?
It sounds totally logical and good idea to me.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote