Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PAS tank removal and replacement

Views : 1772

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 16:37   #21
Brendan W
Premier Member

Lookit, you're going to get all us pontificators found out. I thought we agreed at the last meeting to stay quiet and close ranks everytime this happens.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 18:52   #22
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
Well after enquiring with Volvo regarding the price for a new PS resorvoir, i dilly dallied on actually ordering it as i hate spending money unneccessarily, electing to leave it until this weekend to at least do some basic investigation into why my steering was heavy and loudly whining when parking etc....

Well this is just a lesson to me and everyone else not to presume your problem is automatically the same as someone elses, get of ones (me) idle behind, go outside into the cold, lift the bonnet and waggle/twist the hoses to check for tightness like you (i) should have done earlier!
So simple, so easy and Voila, the low pressure rubber hose at pump was remarkably loose, 30 seconds with a screwdriver and my steering is brand new and buttery, noise has completely gone, obviously the pump was ingesting air which they don't like.

Anyway, glad it wasn't serious and feel a bit of a fool for pontificating as to the why's and wherefores of the problem before actually physically eliminating such a basic check.

Back insde to the fire now, that £50 note will live to fight another day!

4c.
Yes, full marks for coming back with the cold light of day thing: however, I should point out that the loose pipe discovery I made was just the precursor to finding the tank was leaking. I suspect that in normal activity there's no high pressure air in the tank, and that once there's a suction leak the pump deposits pressurised air in the system, which leads to the swell and pop problem. Have a careful look at your tank in a week or two.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 19:35   #23
4candles
I've Been Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Lookit, you're going to get all us pontificators found out. I thought we agreed at the last meeting to stay quiet and close ranks everytime this happens.
Yeah sorry bout that, only i had a prior meeting at a Rememberance group (memory sufferers) an hour before, but i forgot where the venue was so went to the pub before our meeting and the drink affects my memory Bob so i forgot our wee pact,,,,,

(did i do my 'thang' again?)

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 12th, 2015 at 19:39.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 19:43   #24
4candles
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
Yes, full marks for coming back with the cold light of day thing: however, I should point out that the loose pipe discovery I made was just the precursor to finding the tank was leaking. I suspect that in normal activity there's no high pressure air in the tank, and that once there's a suction leak the pump deposits pressurised air in the system, which leads to the swell and pop problem. Have a careful look at your tank in a week or two.
Another omission on my part, i actually removed my tank to access the clips underneath and never though to give it a shake to see if anything was loose inside, but i will, just not tonight, i'm still 'dining out' on fixing the heaviness and whine for £0 at the mo..

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 12th, 2015 at 19:50.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 12:05   #25
4candles
I've Been Banned

I'm ordering a new tank, the dooberry whachacallit inside is loose and rattling, fluid is foaming slightly even though i drained and put the best part of of a litre of fluid in, and yes i used the Volvo green stuff (spit). After a run there is pressure and the seam was leaking anyway.
Don't have any of this faff on my old V70 jalopy with normal red Dextron!!

Hey ho.
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 22:56   #26
stellamon

I've got the leaky cap at the moment. It was also leaking where it joins the engine, above the alternator. So tightened the jubilee clip and all seems well
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 22:58   #27
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellamon View Post
I've got the leaky cap
Free fix.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfMrbHxVHM
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 12:53   #28
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Think you'll find the rattly bit is a little elbow on the return inlet. This is designed so that the fluid returning to the tank is deposited below the level of the fluid in the tank.

If the elbow drops off the returning fluid agitates that in the tank causing foaming.

IIRC there was a fix on here somewhere on how to reattach the elbow but it's far easier to swap out the tank to fix it.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 12:59   #29
4candles
I've Been Banned

If my tank were not swollen and leaking at the seam i'd go in for a look
New updated tank ordered, here tomorrow so a wee job for the weekend....
don't want the pump to continue chewing air as i don't know for how long it's been like this.

Must have tightened the loose pipe when it was cold, noise is not there at cold but appears once up to temp, hence my rather early celebration, and i fell off the Ol' Johanna (piano) cracking my funny bone!!!(post #24)

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 17th, 2015 at 13:20.
Old Dec 17th, 2015, 13:59   #30
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles View Post
ave you been spying through my toilet window Brendan?
Urrgghhhh, good grief man. . . 💩💩💩
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote