Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 - Base model, Se or CD? How do I tell?

Views : 1711

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 14:48   #1
mjseeley

Default V40 - Base model, Se or CD? How do I tell?

Hi all,
I was recommended here by others in the alt.autos.volvo newsgroup - hopefully you can help.

I'm taking ownership of a 1998 V40 Auto Estate next week, and insurance requires knowing if it's a base, SE or CD model. There's some confusion here.

1. I've tried vindecoder.org, and it coems back with an invalid check digit. The VIN is correct, I have the registration docs already, and I know it hasn't been changed. The car was imported from the EU by volvo, registered here and sold as a Volvo Used Car to a relative of mine, all done through a Volvo dealer.

2. The registration document doesn't state the model - but my dad's 850 is definitely a CD model and that doesn't say on the documentation either, so I'm not too surprised.

3. Volvo sold it as the V40 2.0 CD. However, I think they may have been wrong.

I'm asking, because I don't think it has all the CD extras. Parkers guide indicates all CD models come with a CD autochanger and leather upholstry - mine has cloth interior and a single CD/Tape/Radio in the front. The rest of the car is as follows:

Air Con (not Climate)
No heated seats or front fog lights (ie no Winter Pack)
Electric sunroof
4 Electric Windows
Electric heated mirrors
Wood finish dashboard
Trip computer
Cruise Control

Somewhere on the docs it says "V40 Variant" - don't know what this means.

I'm thinking it's a V40 base model which has had lots of the extras added, but isn't technically the CD model - am I on the right track here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mark
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 15:55   #2
mraldonnelly

Default RE: V40 - Base model, Se or CD? How do I tell?

Mark,

Sounds to me as though you have either a base or SE with a few options. I have copied your spec and listed next to it the lowest spec model that it appears as standard.

Air Con (not Climate) - CD ONLY
No heated seats or front fog lights (ie no Winter Pack) - NON-STANDARD EQUIPMENT
Electric sunroof - UNSURE
4 Electric Windows - STANDARD ON BASE AND ABOVE
Electric heated mirrors - STANDARD ON BASE AND ABOVE
Wood finish dashboard - CD ONLY
Trip computer - SE AND ABOVE
Cruise Control - SE AND ABOVE

As for the CD/Tape/Radio - It sounds like your audio system is an upgraded version as it has CD, Radio and Tape.

Leather is only standard on the CD as you say.

I'd go with the SE model. It's definately not the CD so by choosing the model below you are erring on the side of caution.

Hope it helps

Andy
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 07:00   #3
Mav_UK

However...

If it was imported from somewhere in Europe the it may not be any of the above. The classifications here in Holland are completely different to those in the UK - and so it may just have been classified by the dealer who imported it...

Stu
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 08:35   #4
james.brown

I have a similar issue...
On the reg document it is a T4. On the service book it is an SE.
It has the same spec as yours except no wood and no sunroof.

I have always insured it as a T4 (not SE) because I think that the
V5 is more of an authority than the dealers hand writing saying otherwise. It is also chaper to insure as a T4.

However, I would sell it as an SE!!

Sounds like yours is probably an SE
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:05   #5
Mav_UK

Is it not a T4 SE? T4 is the engine and not the 'comfort' classification.

There is a very easy way to see if it's a T4 (or a 2.0T) - check to see if the engine says Turbo on it, and check to see if the airbocx pipes go to the back of the engine (where the turbo is mounted).

Of course you can also put your foot down. If it absolutely flies then the chances are it's a turbo :)

Stu
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:22   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.

If it was a CD it WOULD definitely have full leather interior and climate control.

No CD spec car would leave the factory without a leather interior.

Sounds like an SE, or a base spec car with options.

My 2.0T was a base spec car but it had a leather interior, A/C, sports suspension, etc added. In fact it looked like a CD model inside, but it wasn't.
My T4 however WAS a CD spec, and had everything! A CD changer was only standard on later CDs mind.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:19   #7
mjseeley

Hiya,

Thanks for the help so far. This seems to conclusively rule it out as the CD model, so we're most of the way there.

I know that it's not the T4 - it's definitely the 1948cc 2.0L petrol.

I think I'll look at insuring it as the base or the SE model - probably safer as the SE. I do have a feeling though it's just the base model which has had a number of options added which happen to bring it up to and beyond SE spec... but i don't think that actually makes it an SE. However, as mentioned in the first response, it is probably safest to insure as an SE.

Any other ideas I'd still be interested in - especially others who have the same problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:53   #8
james.brown

Sorry, I haven't been entirely clear.
I should have said on the V5 it says T4
on the service book it says T4 SE

I wondered if it was the same issue with the 2.0 and 2.0SE

On re-reading my post, I knew what I meant but to all else must have sounded like a confused fool.
Sorry!

James
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 16:07   #9
erch02

I have a 1998 S40 1.8CD which has:

Auto Air Con
Leather seats (heated fronts)
Electric sunroof
4 Electric Windows
Electric heated mirrors
Wood finish dashboard
Trip computer
Cruise Control
CD spec alloys (6 spoke)
Remote alarm (This was only standard on the CD, others had central locking/immobiliser)
Dash mounted single CD/radio/cassette (double height). The cd changer was an option.

Hope this helps
Duncan
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 18:46   #10
mjseeley

In followup to my original post, I have now been to see my local Volvo dealer. They looked it up on their system (Crack system??) and it came up with a match.The VIN and numberplate check out. It comes up as a V40 B4204S (the latter I believe specifies the 2.0L engine, 4 cylinder).

Everything looks fine, except that Volvo have it on the system as having off black leather (Upholstry code: 7970). Think this bit must have been a mistake.

As for the model, it mentions nothing about SE or CD... it does give the following though:
"with sunroof"
RHD
Op1: 000033 Cruise Control
Op2: 000043 Air Con
Op3: 000049 Infocentre
Op4: 000059 Power Windows Front/Rear
Op5: 000101 Two Illum Vanity Mirrors
Op6: 000105 Reading Lamps Front
Op7: 000215 Radio Big Front SC805
Op8: 000325 Alarm/Remot Cont/Deadlock

I know for a fact if it was the SE or CD, these both come standard with Cruise. I think I'll be safe to assume then that it's a base model with all of this as optional extras. The dealer was extremely helpful (Colindale, London, UK) and also provided me with a copy.

Any followup info would be appreciated as always, but thanks everyone for the help - it's a shame Volvo don't make this bit a little easier!

Thanks,
Mark