Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 starting problems

Views : 3260

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 18:34   #1
steve_c47

Default V70 starting problems

I HAVE PUT A COUPLE OF POSTS ON THE FORUM IN THE PAST YEAR REGARDING MY 1999, 2.4ltr V70 WHICH WON'T START WHEN THE OUTSIDE TEMP IS BELOW 3 DEGREES C.

THE PROBLEM STARTED LAST WINTER BUT HAS BEEN OK DURING THE SUMMER.

NOW IT WON'T START IF THE TEMP IS BELOW 10DEG C, IT COMES UP WITH FAULT CODE P1670 WHICH THE AA TOLD ME IS A VOLVO SPECIFIC FAULT CODE & THEY COULDN'T DO ANYTHING WITH IT.

I BOUGHT A CHEAP CODE READER & IT COMES UP WITH P1670 ASWELL IT WILL CLEAR BUT COMES BACK AS A CURRENT & STORED FAULT.

I TOOK THE SPARK PLUGS OUT & THEY WERE BLACK, WHEN I CHECKED FOR A SPARK THE PLUG SPARKED ONCE & THEN NO MORE.

I'VE CHANGED THE KEY READER THAT GOES OVER THE IGNITION LOCK & IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE, SOMETIMES IF THE KEY READER IS DISCONNECTED THE CAR WILL START & THEN CUT OUT (PROB BECAUSE THE IMOBILISER ISN'T CONNECTED)

I WAS TOLD IT MIGHT BE THE LAMBDA SENSOR BUT I DON'T WANT TO BUY 1 IF ITS NOT. ONE TIME I CHECKED THE CODES IT DID COME UP WITH A CODE FOR THE LAMBDA SENSOR BUT WHEN I CLEARED IT, IT HASN'T COME BACK.

IF I CAN'T GET IT TO START I WILL PROBABLY SCRAP THE CAR OR SELL IT AS A NON RUNNER AS I'M RAPIDLY RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE & IDEAS.

I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT AS IT IS A FANTASTIC CAR TO DRIVE & IS A SHAME TO SCRAP IT.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
steve_c47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 21:00   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Please don't SHOUT using capitals.

P1670 = ECM-720A = Immobilizer communication

Most likely anntena ring connections.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 21:05   #3
steve_c47

I'm sorry I didn't know it offended anyone to use capital letters.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 21:18   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

if you havent renewed the antenna ring do that ( about £28 ) then there are modified terminals available for the Immobiliser control unit plug . you will need about 8 of these wires with new terminals already fitted , then cut off the old and insert the new into the plug and solder them to the original wires . your dealer will have a bulletin on this ...
This problem isnt particularly affected by low temperatures though .. Have you tried using the other spare ignition key ?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 21:47   #5
steve_c47

I got an antenna ring off ebay & fitted it, when you say there are modified terminals is it the ones that go onto the antenna ring? mine is a multiplug with 4 wires.

Unfortunatley I only have 1 key for the car.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 22:34   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

you have an immobiliser code , i would fit a new antenna ring as you cant guarantee the one you bought used ..
and the terminals are the ones on the immobiliser unit under the steering columb ...
also you dont know if your key is faulty . so there are 3 things to do one or more of which cure most immobiliser problems ...
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 08:54   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

One of the things I found was the terminals on the antenna ring itself corrode quite badly.
There is also a problem with the antenna ring terminals and the connector being dissimilar metals.

I found that I needed to clean the antenna ring terminals quite aggressively (using a diamond file) and use contact grease on them to maintain a reliable connection.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:09   #8
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Wink

...or clean the contacts using a fibre glass pen.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Abrasive-Clean...item3ef65f0096

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Dec 29th, 2009 at 11:11.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 16:44   #9
steve_c47

Thanks for all the advice, It'll take me a couple of days until I can get a look at it.

I'll let you know what happens.