Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Built-In Telephone

Views : 5774

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 10:09   #1
ge2002

I have recently purchased a second hand "52" plate 2.4t with the built in telephone option. The reception and speaker are brilliant but I get constant complaints that the microphone is too quiet and there is a buzz in the background. Design fault or one off problem? Does anyone have any experience?
Old May 15th, 2003, 15:40   #2
alex jennings 1

Hi being a former S 60 owner who developed a reputation for complaining about my car, I had good reason to - honest. I part exchanged it for a V 70 SE D5 with all the toys I could cram in, including the built in telephone. (I wonder if a VOC member has my old jalopy? - If so please do not email me, I left the magnet in the boot that I used for collecting the bits that fell off it).
I too have experienced problems with the phone, its no where as efficient as my old Nokia hands free kit and I am a littie disapointed. However, I think I have found out the fault. Depending where you are in the country it is mandatory to have a long enough length of string on the end of the tin can - otherwise it snaps!
On a more serious note I'm on the Orange network and find the phone very poor, it cuts off calls during conversation depending upon the signal strength, where I know the Nokia hands free kit wouldn't. Everyone I speak to via the phone complains and I end up picking up the thingy iunder the arm rest which is against the law (I think) and defeats the object. Also Orange do not allow dual sim cards so I get fed up of taking my phone apart to put the sim card in, then repeating the process when I return to the car. Its a point I will take up when I next have the car serviced. If this is the norm - its been an expensive mistake on my part.

Apart from that the D5 engine is returning 49MPG with steady driving which is great, and I'm back in love with the marque.

I'll let you know how I go on after the service.
Old May 26th, 2003, 18:17   #3
Multiplex

Default RE: Built-In Telephone

Hello

Try taking your car to a Volvo dealer and tell them you are having problems with the inbuilt phone. There a number of software updates available for the phone module that apply to your symptoms. The software includes optimized sound and microphone settings aswell as reducing background/buss noise.

Chris.

Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 14:43   #4
ge2002

I am also with Orange and have identical problems. I have booked in with dealer for Thursday and will lt you know how I get on.

Otherwise, no problems yet with my S60.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 14:44   #5
ge2002

Thank you. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 15:46   #6
ge2002

Despite the garage being very helpful, and despite them agreeing 100% with your diagnosis and proposed cure, the problem was not rectified yesterday.

Apparently the system does not recognise that the problem can occur in 2003 model cars and as such will not allow the software patch to be downloaded to such models. Garage has made a bulletin report to Volvo and have promised to return to me when the have a response from Volvo Cars.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 22:25   #7
alex jennings 1

Hi

Following my previous posting on the forum, my V70 has the built in telephone. The car is a 52 reg as well. The complaint was noted by Harrats of Bradford my dealer and I explained all the short comings I experienced with the phone. Upon collecting from its service, they said that they couldn't find a fault with the 'phone - my heart sank, but they said they had down loaded the latest software for it. Upon trying it I knew within 1/2 a mile that it was perfect.

I don't know who your dealer is or which part of the country you are in but, I had a very troublesome S 60 that some dealers couldn't download software to and the satalite in Gothenberg didn't recognise my car etc.etc. When I went to Harrats they never came up with excuses and have always sorted out the problems, and believe me there were many with my old S 60. try www.harrats.co.uk - I'm a satisfied customer!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 16:49   #8
ge2002

I buy my cars from Harrats (who have been great!) but live too far to get servicing from them.

Latest part of saga is that my local garage, Baytrack (who, fair play, have tried very hard indeed with the telephone) have been told by Volvo that a new speaker may solve the problem - I have explained speaker works perfectly and they say they have told Volvo who still insist that replacing it may solve microphone problem. Car back in Tuesday.

Alex (and others), thanks for the support.