Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 seatbelt maladies

Views : 359

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2024, 21:46   #1
chickenfillets

Exclamation Volvo 960 seatbelt maladies

Hey folks, hope you're all doing well.

I've just bought a new 3.0l 960 estate, I can see why it's so desirable now. The only problem i'm having is that the rear folding seats in the boot seem to be a DIY job. The seats don't match the colour of the others and the floor of the boot that they hide under looks suspiciously like a wooden board.

i've got an upload of it here. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1708983068

The problem i'm having is that while the slots for the seats belts are present in the rear pillars, the actual mechanisms seem to be missing along with the buckles and anchors on the floor.

Has anyone ever had to replace the mechanisms or anchors who can give me a few pointers on how it's done? I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, i'm quite new to this thing

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240225-184902.jpg (120.4 KB, 28 views)
chickenfillets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chickenfillets For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 22:52   #2
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfillets View Post
Hey folks, hope you're all doing well.

I've just bought a new 3.0l 960 estate, I can see why it's so desirable now. The only problem i'm having is that the rear folding seats in the boot seem to be a DIY job. The seats don't match the colour of the others and the floor of the boot that they hide under looks suspiciously like a wooden board.

i've got an upload of it here. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1708983068

The problem i'm having is that while the slots for the seats belts are present in the rear pillars, the actual mechanisms seem to be missing along with the buckles and anchors on the floor.

Has anyone ever had to replace the mechanisms or anchors who can give me a few pointers on how it's done? I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, i'm quite new to this thing

Thanks
Those 2 are extra seats and they are meant for kids only and they look exactly as they are supposed to. I can't speak to how they are mounted as it is not clear in the pictures, but the seat itself is oem. The "wood" board is just the cover of the spare tyre compartment. Those seats aren't meant to be always on. That's an extra you mount when you need it.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 00:57   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

It looks as though your car has both the dog guard and the rear-facing child seats. This is contrary to the manufacturer's specification, primarily because it seals the fate of your cargo-space passengers in the event of an accident. However, I think the seat belts that go with that seat share some of the same mounting points which may be why they have been omitted.

Original instructions for fitting either accessory are hard (impossible) to find online although there is some information in the FAQ. The attached are relevant pages from the options manual, including the safety warning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 700__accessory_panel 131.pdf (122.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 700__accessory_panel 139.pdf (66.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf 700__accessory_panel 141.pdf (102.2 KB, 5 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 01:09   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
It looks as though your car has both the dog guard and the rear-facing child seats. This is contrary to the manufacturer's specification, primarily because it seals the fate of your cargo-space passengers in the event of an accident. However, I think the seat belts that go with that seat share some of the same mounting points which may be why they have been omitted.

Original instructions for fitting either accessory are hard (impossible) to find online although there is some information in the FAQ. The attached are relevant pages from the options manual, including the safety warning.
I did notice the guard after posting my comment.
But Forrest, OP seems to think that the seats/system is somehow diy, which it is not. Those seats are the correct seats and they actually look well preserved. I think the owner just assembled all the extras he had to make the car look good for the sale.

btw, here a video of the assembly on a 940/740. I imagine the 960 is similar if not the same. [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qIlVyrBAdwY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 27th, 2024 at 01:32.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 15:28   #5
chickenfillets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
I did notice the guard after posting my comment.
But Forrest, OP seems to think that the seats/system is somehow diy, which it is not. Those seats are the correct seats and they actually look well preserved. I think the owner just assembled all the extras he had to make the car look good for the sale.

btw, here a video of the assembly on a 940/740. I imagine the 960 is similar if not the same. [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=qIlVyrBAdwY[/YOUTUBE]
I just assumed they weren't OEM because they didn't match the rest of the car seats, which in hindsight wasn't the cleverest deduction seeing as the normal seats can't fold as flat as these ones.

i was planning to remove the dog guard anyway seeing as i have no use for it. I'll check for mounting points when i get around to pulling it out.

were the seatbelt components designed to be stowed away when not in use?
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 17:19   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfillets View Post
I just assumed they weren't OEM because they didn't match the rest of the car seats, which in hindsight wasn't the cleverest deduction seeing as the normal seats can't fold as flat as these ones.

i was planning to remove the dog guard anyway seeing as i have no use for it. I'll check for mounting points when i get around to pulling it out.

were the seatbelt components designed to be stowed away when not in use?
Have no idea. My wagon didn't come with that extra and I don't know anyone here on the forum that has, or at least uses, that seat. From the video I linked you might be able to make an assumption on that. But the thing is. If they aren't currently attached, and the seller didn't give them to you, they are probably gone. Unless they are stored in one of the compartments in the boot. There are hidden compartments on both sides just behind the tail lights plus the spare tyre compartment.
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 19:44   #7
GingerMagic

I have the 7 seater version which is all OEM, I'm happy to pop out in the daylight and take any pictures of mine for reference.

Kelv
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 20:07   #8
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post
I have the 7 seater version which is all OEM, I'm happy to pop out in the daylight and take any pictures of mine for reference.

Kelv
My car also had 7 seats original and in the registration. Now that I imported it to portugal, they made the paperwork with 5 spots, by mistake. The process was so hard that I honetsly did not complain for fear of further delays.
I didn't have the seats anyway and I don't have kids, so I didn't bother that much.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 19:18   #9
chickenfillets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerMagic View Post

Kelv
Hey Kelv, that would be a great help. I've managed to locate the seatbelt units and the two buckles, but i'm at a loss as to how they're actually mounted in the car. From what i've been able to scrounge online it looks like i need to take out a part of the boot tp fit the spring-wind mechanism section which then feed up towards where the dog cage mounts were.

the problem i'm having is that the screw on the other end of the seatbelt won't fit into the roof mounts, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere to mount the buckles (the two for either seat are joined at the bottom)

if you have any photos of the arrangement then that would be great!
thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 21:21   #10
Forrest
VOC Member

There is a video here that may help you.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Are you sure you have all the bits? The inertia reel part is concealed within the trim panel but the parked position also uses a buckle. In use, there is a double buckle fitted through the middle of the seat.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote