Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking about a S40 T5 advice needed

Views : 3656

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:03   #11
faffi
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I drove a Saab 9-3 Aero...

2.8 V6 Full Hirsch upgrades.

It was fast with mega brakes but... gearchange was notchy and the steering had no feedback.

Interior isn't as nice as the S40 too.

Although fast as fook It just didn't have the 'depth' of driving dynamics. Watch out for the dreaded engine sludge issue too... Saabs of that ilk aren't renowed for great quality.
My mother in law have had Saabs since 1986 and is super-happy with them, despite all the trouble she's had. I personally would be annoyed with the service and repair bills she's had on the 900s and the current 9-3 Sport that she's owned since new for 10 years now.

If I compare the 9-3 to my S40, the first thing that strikes me is how cheap the interior seems. That includes everything from seats to dash to buttons to door panels. The Saab is slightly roomier inside, but the difference isn't big. And the rear seat is horrible compared to the S40. Suspension is more compliant on her Sport than in my standard S40 rolling on 15in wheels, however.

There are plenty of squeaks in the Saab, always have been, and it doesn't feel really solid. However, the automatic box is smooth in operation and the 2-litre turbo petrol engine is really nice for daily driving. When going for it, though, both gearbox and engine feels rather lazy. Especially annoying is the autobox insistence on going through every gear on its way down when using kick-down; IMO it should be able to drop directly from 5th to 2nd as to not waste time visiting 4th and 3rd first.

Still, people have different priorities and my MIL is way happier with her 9-3 than I am with my S40, so who am I to judge...
faffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 18:41   #12
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

All sorted sold my current V40 T4 and watch it drive off at 13:45, drove to stirling to see the black 2005 S40 T5 drove it and put the deposit down at 16:45 so just over 3 hours to sort a new car its a record for me. The cars imaculate 70k 2 owners all topspec premium sound system, sunroof xenons etc, MOT'd till Dec 2012, best bit is the garage spent £600 to MOT the car, front discs&pads, front wishbones & other suspension components, lovely to drive soo smooth compared to the T4 even the girlfriend liked it so chuffed collecting it on saturday can't wait :-) and got it for what I think was a good price :-)

thanks for all the advice but it was an easy decision once I saw and drove the T5!!!!
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 19:17   #13
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Ace news that you sold and bought the new car that easily. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Think the T5 has a super sound.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 20:10   #14
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
All sorted sold my current V40 T4 and watch it drive off at 13:45, drove to stirling to see the black 2005 S40 T5 drove it and put the deposit down at 16:45 so just over 3 hours to sort a new car its a record for me. The cars imaculate 70k 2 owners all topspec premium sound system, sunroof xenons etc, MOT'd till Dec 2012, best bit is the garage spent £600 to MOT the car, front discs&pads, front wishbones & other suspension components, lovely to drive soo smooth compared to the T4 even the girlfriend liked it so chuffed collecting it on saturday can't wait :-) and got it for what I think was a good price :-)

thanks for all the advice but it was an easy decision once I saw and drove the T5!!!!
Nice one, I'm sure you'll be a very happy T5 owner.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 19:43   #15
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
Ace news that you sold and bought the new car that easily. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. Think the T5 has a super sound.
Picking it up sat so will get pics up at the weekend, its like xmas again :-)
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 19:59   #16
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

You'll miss the handling of the T4

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 20:34   #17
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
You'll miss the handling of the T4
I was really impressed with the handling on the test drive, mind the old s40t4 handled better than the v40t4, you recommend any cheap mods?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 22:51   #18
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Also meant to ask does the T5 need The super unleaded (Vpower, Ultimate etc) as I know ther T4's defo run better on the super unleaded...
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 00:28   #19
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Also meant to ask does the T5 need The super unleaded (Vpower, Ultimate etc) as I know ther T4's defo run better on the super unleaded...
T5 doesn't NEED it per say but just like the T4 definitely runs better with it (V-Power) IMO.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 09:32   #20
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
I was really impressed with the handling on the test drive, mind the old s40t4 handled better than the v40t4, you recommend any cheap mods?

Strut Brace is a definite - really tightens up the front end and not too expensive.

Focus RS gearbox torque mount.

If you're on 17" wheels, polybushing will help a lot too.

It'll run better on V-power.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post: