Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Gears

Views : 3034

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2010, 15:40   #21
Lesky

Well, spec is 21 and 42 for number of teeth. For your gears, make sure that your cam gear has 58 teeth, since your crank gear has 29. Make sure that your gears are the right size. Since they have more teeth, the diameter of the gears might be slightly larger than some other sets. The factory timing gear ratio is 2:1. If your set doesn't have a 2:1 ratio, then your cam is either advanced or retarded. Since B30s are non-interference engines, you probably wont damage your valves if your not running a 2:1 ratio, but don't quote me on that. I don't think that an increased number of teeth is going to be noisier. Primarily, it's just going to effect your gear ratio. Durability boils down to the material that the gears are made out of.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 19:18   #22
lotsofmagnets

that american gear set looks like the fibre one replicated. the steel set had more teeth to quieten it down as it wasn´t as quiet as the fibre set.
lotsofmagnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 23:50   #23
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesky View Post
The factory timing gear ratio is 2:1. If your set doesn't have a 2:1 ratio, then your cam is either advanced or retarded. .
The artio has to be 2:1 or the cam timing would keep changing as the engine turns over.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 18:55   #24
Dylan144GT

Hi All

Lesky ,this is definitely the best deal so far on the net so its worth considering. They look very archaic though. I think lotsofmagnets (welcome to the forum btw) is right in saying that this looks like a fibregear replication.

Please, make sure your ratio is 2:1, as classicswede says, the timing would become continuously variable if it weren't. Heaven knows what would happen in the black hole that is a B30 if it weren't! (Standing joke between dudecallednick and I cuz the B30 is so gynormous! It feels like two B20's rather that one and a half) The increase in number of teeth from 21 to 29 and 42 to 58 would be to reduce wear, tooth stress and noise as all of the above are as a produce of contact time that each transmitting tooth experiences. So if there are more teeth then the contact time would be reduced and increase efficiency.

I got hold of a manufacturer here to find out how to measure up gears and they are willing to help me. Just awaiting instructions as to go about measuring things accurately and to find out to what degree accuracy we need.

Dylan
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 04:55   #25
Lesky

I would be interested in hearing about how you do up your gear measurements. I too am an engineering student and think it would be handy to know not only for my own B30, but in general.

The picture on Rock auto doesn't look like it's a fibre gear, but I suppose it's possible that it could be. The design of the cam gear is a little interesting though, with the waves. .
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 17:51   #26
skidje
Master Member

Smile

Think lotsofmagnets meant that the teeth look like the fibre model. Indeed this rockauto set is steel but with this design I prefer spending a 20-30 eur more for the set with more quiet teeth..
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote