Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

home made code reader

Views : 4451

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 21:20   #11
Lmason
L Mason

Default code reader

if a 12v led is placed from link 4 to link 16, then a wire from link 3 to the negative side of led should reset the ststem??
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 21:42   #12
bob13

That sounds about right just put wire into pin 4, for 5 + secs see if led lights up take it out then put it back in for another 5 secs. Just be carefull not sure how the ecu would take a short or a wire in the wrong place. Hope it works for you.

You may not even need the led just go from 4-3, 5sec + then take out then put it back in. Dont think it would do any harm, as the led is only a visual device. Just have to guess that the led would have lit up. If it doesnt reset try led, if not read codes using this method. Good luck hope it works just take care dont wont to do more harm.
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 21:50   #13
Lmason
L Mason

Default bob

hiya bob.
i worked the diagram to be just that. making it simple, putting a link between pin 3 and 4 for approx 5 seconds. as i dont have climate or cruise control. and as you said, the led is just a visual of what it is doing.
i will let you know if it works.
i have been told on the vauxhalls, the pin to short to ground is no. 7, so the principle is the same.
i just didnt know which pin on my volvo.
its supposed to work on these early models, but on 2002 onwards models, it has to be a code reader. i have one of these code readers, costing £150 quid for my previous car, but it dosnt work on mine.
thanks for the info, and look up the thread later.
i dont think i will get it done tonight, but maybe tomorrow.
cheers
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 18:19   #14
Lmason
L Mason

Default l

tried linking pin 3 and 4 with a paper clip, but did not clear codes. think i may have to goto dealers. volvo aint that bad, they only charge 23 quid unlike vauxhall and ford which charge £45
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 18:27   #15
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

You need to read the codes before you can clear them so just linking pin 4 to 3 will not work.
The resistor you need can be any value between 1000 and 2000 ohms and any wattage, the smaller the wattage the smaller the physical size and cost of the resistor will be.
I should think you should be able to get the parts from any TV repair shop.

Last edited by Chris_Rogers; Feb 21st, 2007 at 18:34.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 18:32   #16
Lmason
L Mason

Default code reader

yes i see what you are saying. i wasnt sure which size resistor but now i might order from maplins . just out of interest. usually garages want the job to replace the faulty part if there is one. might save me a bit coin
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 18:52   #17
bob13

To be honest i didnt think the light would go out because i am sure the lite will go out once the fault has ben fixed but i may be wrong. But worth a try. The code reader just clears stored code. Is worth making the reader though always handy and doesnt cost much, in fact i brought the proper plug and that cost me more than all the other bits. Good luck with the fault hunt Bob....
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 23:34   #18
Lmason
L Mason

Default hello people

i have just ordered the bits for the tester, including a nice little box. i will make it up and test it out when assembled. bob, where did you get the plug from? i hope my engine management light is just a case of resetting, if not, and it reads a fault, indicating where or what, then i can give it a go in repairing myself. i will keep you posted in the next few days on this thread. the light did come on when i unplugged the maf sensor, so just hopeing it only needs a reset.
ps i have a haynes manual which tells the codes of the earlier models with the underbonnet diagnostics led, is the readings the same? ie the amount of times the led flashes, to indicate a specific code, as there is alot of indications.
cheers
les
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:26   #19
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
i have just ordered the bits for the tester, including a nice little box. i will make it up and test it out when assembled. bob, where did you get the plug from? i hope my engine management light is just a case of resetting, if not, and it reads a fault, indicating where or what, then i can give it a go in repairing myself. i will keep you posted in the next few days on this thread. the light did come on when i unplugged the maf sensor, so just hopeing it only needs a reset.
ps i have a haynes manual which tells the codes of the earlier models with the underbonnet diagnostics led, is the readings the same? ie the amount of times the led flashes, to indicate a specific code, as there is alot of indications.
cheers
les
if your light is maf sensor related it should automatically be reset if the ecu is removed overnight....
if it still does not go away you have a permanent fault that needs resetting
the flash code reader is a very basic electrical device, one that can be imitated with a 12v light and some wire....if you dont have a bulb a multimeter will do.....
cheers
jod
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 14:53   #20
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

just a thought, you are aware that after joining 3-4 together for 5 seconds then remove, the light will flash again...during this flash you must rejoin 3-4 to finalise code deleation.....
cheers
jod