Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake bleeding - constant bubbles

Views : 624

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2015, 16:19   #1
Mark1Stu

Default Brake bleeding - constant bubbles

I'm starting to regret resurrecting my Volvo project....

Just been bleeding the brakes (as per the order in the manual). When I bled the centre inner and outer RH caliper bleed points together I got a constant stream of bubbles. Doing one at a time resulted in the inner one clear of bubbles - but not the outer. Same problem with LH caliper.

I'll check again for pedal drop during constant pressure - but seemed firm when I last checked (I've had enough sight of the car for now!). So while I suspect the master cylinder is drawing air, causing the bubbles, the impression of a firm pedal suggests otherwise? Are the outer bleeds on both front calipers on the same brake line?

Just wondering whether anyone has had similar and can offer any advice.
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 17:33   #2
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Seeing as lots of 'looks' and no replies, I'll start in the hope of one of the more experienced chipping in

I've never had your issue, akways used Ezzibleed kit . I start furthest away from master cylinder working to the closest.

Dont suppose you have a 'weep' somewhere along the lines that is drawing in air as you bleed?

Hope its an easy fix tho'.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 20:51   #3
hennabm

How does the pedal feel? Is it spongy at all? Not so much about holding pressure but more as a feel. This is with the engine offend the servo drained. If so then clamp off each flexi at a time to find out if it is air in the system.

Then clamp off the other pipe to the caliper and try and bleed the other one through.
Probably trying to teach Granny to suck eggs but I take it there is not air coming in as the bleed pipe is not tight onto the nipple?

When I bled mine I did each nipple individually on each caliper and didn't get the same problem as you're having.
I did go round each one twice to make sure and to renew the fluid as my car had been stood 8 years before I got it.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 22:01   #4
Mark1Stu

Thanks guys. I'll take your advice and clamp off the flexis in turn and see if that helps. Hopefully I'll have more enthusiasm for it tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Stuart
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:01   #5
CWXC70

What method are you using to bleed?

Easibleed
Vacuum bleed
or old fashioned never fail one person in the car pressing the pedal and one on the bleed screw?

Can you guess my favourite?
CWXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 11:14   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Did you by any chance ignore the forum advice never to press the brake pedal further down than it goes in normal braking? If so then you may well have damaged the master cylinder piston seal by running it over an unused and therefore probably corroded section of bore. The consequence is that it won't pump properly, so the pedal will never harden up, and possibly draws in air on the upstroke.

I've never heard of bleeding two nipples at once - I don't see how that could work.
Over a lifetime of bleeding brakes I've only once departed from the standard method of a bit of clear tube and a jam jar. That was when I tried an Easibleed. The seal at the reservoir leaked, and sprayed fluid everywhere.

I've always done the job single-handed. Place an inspection by the jar to light it up, crouch by the driver's door, and pump the pedal very gently by hand while watching the bubbles. When they stop, walk round and close the nipple.

You must be drawing in air somewhere on the upstroke. If there is no fluid leak on the downstroke then this must be at the master cylinder - level too low, or damaged seal.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 15:10   #7
Mark1Stu

Well, My wife was pushing the pedal while I was on the bleed nipple with a piece of tube and one way valve.

This morning, I singlehandedly used a vacuum hand pump to suck the fluid out. At which point I could hear air being sucked through nipple thread - so that appears the problem....which I got round by tightening the nipple until I couldn't hear the sucking of air - and increasing the vacuum. Pedal feels solid and holding so fingers crossed it's done.

Thanks for the advice and support chaps.

Btw, I did make the mistake of getting my wife to push the pedal to the floor - only reading up on the pitfall afterwards. Hopefully, I was lucky.

Just noticed the drivers side engine mount needs changing. Someone tell me this is a nice easy job..... : )
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1Stu For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 17:09   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

A while back, I invested in a Sealey VS820 Pressure Bleeder.
It eliminates all the above pitfalls and makes brake and clutch bleeding/flushing a breeze as well as pressure testing your whole hydraulic system.
Truly simple one man bleeding and the best £40 I've ever spent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post: