Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bulb Faliure

Views : 918

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 14:07   #1
Mav_UK

Hey People,

I know this has been asked before - but what exactly dues the bulb light out actually mean? I knwo it doesn't cover head lights from my 440, but it did come on for the 440 tail lights. I've just discovered one of the 4 bulbs has blown on my V40 and..... no warning light.

Do they just cover the brake lights on V40's?

Stu
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 11:24   #2
Mike Clift

Stu

I'm pretty sure it checks the brake lights only seeing as it goes out on the dash when you press the brake pedal first time.

Something to do with resistance in the circuit - if there is not enough it assumes that a bulb has gone and stays lit on the dash.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should change the brake bulbs as a pair to overcome differences between a new and old bulb.

Mike
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 08:48   #3
Mav_UK

I guess I just have to keep an eye out for broken bulbs then :(

Oh well...

Stu
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:23   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Bulb Faliure

Hi Guys, the bulb blown indicator DOES work on the headlamps for x40s AND as well on 440s. or at least it should do.
It works on Voltage drop, so it only works correctly if all bulbs on both sides of the car are the same rating. So it may say, for example, that a bulb has gone when one hasn't just because you have a 10w bulb in the tail light on one side and a 5w one on the other. Also it can say a bulb has gone when even the full beam filament is gone but the light isn't on, so you need to check all lights before finding out which it may be. Also a filament might be broken, but the filament can fuse back together again when you go over a bump and the light will come back on. A thump on the light with your fist sometimes does the same thing. :)
Could be a reverse light or indicator too, although the latter would show up by the winkers going faster than normal as well.

One of the dipped beam headlamps went on my C70 this morning too, as it happens, and the little warning light duly came on.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:39   #5
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

evenin

headlamp gave up the ghost on my V40 the other day and no warning light came on !! sitting behind a bus and just saw it go off.

oh, and before you waste your money on lazer blue light bulbs dont bother, they dont look that much different, should have gone with the osram ones they got a good rating in autoexpress the other week.

http://www.powerbulbs.com

seem to offer some good stuff

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 13:10   #6
Mav_UK

The bulb in question had actually gone before and the 'Onslo' method did bring it back to life for a few weeks...

Stu
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 15:16   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

The bulb failure circuit is notoriusly unreliable on early cars (notably on the 400 series). It SHOULD work on all bulbs, but often doesn't. :-(
In an ideal world the bulbs would all be the same make and rating on each side of the car, but in reality they never are.

Will be checking out different bulb types shortly, as the headlamp is now gone on my car.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote