Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In my S40 T4 (manual) I got wasted at lights by VW V10..

Views : 3173

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 18:44   #11
v6en
Master Member

Default Dear God man..get your car into a garage pronto

:o
v6en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 20:35   #12
Kendo

Default RE: In my S40 T4 (manual) I got wasted at lights by VW ...

>No idea about the 0-60 times, but after reading the
>TopGear.com review of the T4 I wouldn't trust their 0-60
>figures one bit, the reviewer couldn't outperform a 960 from
>the lights as he couldn't stop the wheels from spinning. If
>this is the same guy doing the 'Actuals' then they are gonna
>come out wrong, very wrong.
>
>Stu

If the reviewer couldn't beat a 960 with a T4 then there is something wrong with him, All powerful front wheel drive cars have traction probs you just have to use the power properly.

One of my mates had a 960 2.3 turbo (automatic) and he had no chance against my T4.

What concerns me is the notion that the VW beat the T4 easily, for this to be the case it would have to be pulling 0-60 in under 6 second which is absurd, especially seeing as it's a diesel so will redline at around 4.5-5k.

I usually get around 6.7 0-60.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:14   #13
neil_b

Okay thanks for the responses guys..

I got my car checked out from Volvo..

Firstly... The temp problem..is a sticking thermostat. Volvo quoted me £119 fitted for this??? I heard I can pick these up from a Motor factors type shop for about £15.00 and my friend would fit it for me does that sound right?

Secondly...my lack of power problem: Volvo said: Turbo lacking under power and very noisy!! Gulp... they quoted me £1000 + for a New turbo!!

How much can I pick up turbo's, where from and fitting cost etc?

Thanks guys!

Neil
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:03   #14
Mav_UK

Turbo Technics seem to come very well recomended by most people. Not used them so I can't give any personal experiences.
As for the 119 fitted for the 'stat, it depends on where it's situated. If it's a git to get too / takes a long time to remove and re-fit things around it then it doesn't take long for 70 per hour to reach the 119 point.....

Incidently look on the bright side, my Kwaki needs a thermostat and thats 50 not fitted, and you can't get it from a motor factors (in holland at least)

Stu
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:10   #15
Ross9
Master Member

The turbo on the S40 T4 doesnt look that ahrd to get into, couple of heatshields to get out the way and then hopefully it should just unbolt from the manifold etc, in theory, I havent really had much of a look at it.

£1000, ffs, DONT do that, Most Hybrid Turbos can be picked up for half of that. What sort of Turbo's do the volvo run? is it a Garret, ie T2, T25, T28, T3 etc. Somewhere like Turbo technics, Turbo Dynamics are very good, that's where most people I know use, and get it reconditioned, shouldnt be anywhere near a grand for that, and then say couple of hours max for fitting etc, dont go to a volvo dealer if you can avoid it, I knwo everyone harks on abotu warranties etc, but at £70 an hour it's ridiculous.

This is all off the top of my head and not volvo specific, but I hope it helps somewhat.
Old Aug 9th, 2003, 10:50   #16
Kendo

Ony of my mates had a replacement turbo from TurboTechnics, it cost him about £350 for an exchange. He gave them his duff one and they gave him a recon one. He had to fit it himself.

The Turbo is a Mitsubishi in the S40 T4's.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:03   #17
neil_b

Okay bring on the V10!! I got the Turbo changed! £50.00 fitted because I used the Turbo from my previous blown engine!!

Now the car pulls like a train!! Awesome...finally can feel what the T4's are about...wasted a Civic Type R for starters!!

...however as ever with me I have a small problem.

When I do BOOT it I can see smoke streaming out the back!!!! (only when I Really boot it!!)

Any Ideas??

Thanks again,

Neil B

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:23   #18
Mav_UK

What colour, how thick and how much? If you seriously boot it it could simply be water vapour from burning petrol. If it's thick plumes of smoke you can't see through then it could be somethign serious.

Stu
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 10:31   #19
Dan F
Premier Member

A small puff of smoke is normal.
If you boot it foot to the floor it will set the fuel a little rich, and some of this will come out very hot, but unburnt. This will probably be what you are seeing. If it is a lot of smoke however then something may be up.
Keep an eagle eye on your oil level etc for a few weeks and if nothing changes it is reasonable to assume that it is not a problem. :)

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:50   #20
neil_b

Okay... I am losing oil!! I can see drips on floor every morning...

So is this a problem with the fitment of the New(used)Turbo? Because I wasn't losing any oil before this!!

The silly thing is before having this fitted I was having a temp problem which was a small water leek from a bolt under engine..this was tightened and fixed! Now I have a the replacement turbo..very quick, no hesitations but oil leaks and smoke when booting!!

What is going on??!!

Please help!