Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Half price 2017 XC90?!

Views : 2091

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 01:59   #11
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Yes, it does appear cheap, but that does not necessarily mean that it is a scam.

The guy is new to EBay, which explains the lack of feedback. His company is also very new, just over a month old. But everyone has to start somewhere.

Let's not be too hasty in condemning him. It may or not be a bargain for many reasons, but on the face of it, it appears to be a genuine car. If you are interested, why not make an appointment to view the car and then offer an opinion? Until then, any comments that any of us might make remain pure speculation. That way, you'll get a feel for both the car and the seller.

As with any used car 'Caveat Emptor'. You never know, you may snag a bargain, and if it's not for you, you can always walk away. For the record, I have no connection with the vendor, but I think everyone is entitled to a fair crack of the whip. It may be a distress sale and he urgently needs the funds to keep a roof over his head. Who knows?

Regards, John.
Scammers rely on people with your opinions….This is 100% a scam. Nobody sells cars at those prices.
Anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to think about how easily they will be scammed.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 07:57   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
Scammers rely on people with your opinions….This is 100% a scam. Nobody sells cars at those prices.
Anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to think about how easily they will be scammed.
On the contrary, I prefer to trust people until they give me reason not to. I am not naive, and in a long life can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I have been let down by this philosophy.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 08:20   #13
GMcL
0's and 1's

eBay have got to be on shakey ground allowing this through for Legal Information:

Seller
REPO CARS SALES
Registration number in local commercial register or other register
GB000000
Address
Viewing Only By Appointment
Warehouse
default9
United Kingdom
UK

Good Luck ! finding that address.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 16:02   #14
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Agreed, 'GMcL'.

However, a quick check on Companies House would reveal full details of the company and it's director, a Mr. E. J. Hamilton, who, as 'James77' told us earlier, is based in High Wycombe. Clearly it is a very young company, but nonetheless correctly established. That's not something that someone with scam intent might be expected to do, is it?

Why don't we give the chap a break and make the assumption that he's an honest trader unless experience proves otherwise, rather than loading the dice against him from the get-go? He may be a used car dealer, but that doesn't mean he's also a rogue!

Regards, John.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 18:58   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Agreed, 'GMcL'.

However, a quick check on Companies House would reveal full details of the company and it's director, a Mr. E. J. Hamilton, who, as 'James77' told us earlier, is based in High Wycombe. Clearly it is a very young company, but nonetheless correctly established. That's not something that someone with scam intent might be expected to do, is it?

Why don't we give the chap a break and make the assumption that he's an honest trader unless experience proves otherwise, rather than loading the dice against him from the get-go? He may be a used car dealer, but that doesn't mean he's also a rogue!

Regards, John.
But the company was incorporated on 1st March at a home address with one director. You can do that for about 100 quid in order to appear legit.

Despite setting up in business 6 weeks ago, he is selling 18 cars, all at prices at least half the market price. All are photographed in different places. The true value of these cars would be many hundreds of thousands of pounds (yet he has only been around for 6 weeks). The XC90 had done about 10k miles more at the last MOT than in the pictures (so the pictures are definitely very old). None of the above is normal. Selling an XC90 T8 at less than 10k when the cheapest one I have ever seen is 20k is not normal and there is no rational reason to do this.

I do understand what you mean about the benefit of the doubt, but the problem here is it is impossible to see the molehill of benefit which is hidden by the mountain of doubt.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 19:35   #16
GMcL
0's and 1's

Yes, John. I understand where you are coming from but there is a right way and wrong way to present yourself to the public. Setting up with sketchy details in a public market place does not inspire confidence. Given the number of scammers who are out there surely it would make sense to distance yourself from them

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GMcL For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 20:14   #17
JonathanD
VOC Member

Erroneous post, sorry!

Last edited by JonathanD; Apr 12th, 2024 at 20:20. Reason: Erroneous
JonathanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 21:27   #18
Kugaman1

I dont get this thread going down the “trust people” “give them the benefit of the doubt” etc, route.

Then checking the legitimacy of the company etc….

Its 100% simple, - why on gods earth would a seller be selling all of his cars at less than half the price he could sell them to webuyanycar, arnold clark, motorway, carwow, etc…..???

Its obviously a scam, I cant believe anybody would have a seconds doubt otherwise! Its either a “pay a deposit” type scam, or the sellers account has been hacked.

Quote:
Yes, it does appear cheap, but that does not necessarily mean that it is a scam.

Regards, John.
Come on mate, I mean, come on, really? Ive never seen such an obvious scammer on ebay. Seriously, if I was a scammer, you'd be the exact type of person Id be dreaming about!

Last edited by Kugaman1; Apr 12th, 2024 at 21:29.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 21:43   #19
Murph7355

Each to their own...but send 9p to that eBay account and you want your bumps felt.

"Benefit of the doubt"....unfortunately the internet is full of charlatans and it's simply not worth the risk. The days of Honest John and bargains galore are long gone....if they ever existed.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 22:07   #20
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Have we really become a nation of cynics?

Bargains are still to be had. In 2016, admittedly at a much lower price point than the car in question, I was looking for a replacement for my trusty long-term ownership 745. I chanced upon a 2000 V70 up at £695. I told the vendor (a dealer) that I would meet his asking price if he put a new MOT on it (there were a few months remaining). He declined, but immediately offered me the car at £550 as a 'trade sale'. We shook on that and I drove the car away. Almost eight years on I'm still driving what has proved to be a very reliable comfortable Volvo. At the time, decent V70s were changing hands at around twice what I paid!

Not all used car dealers are Charlatans and we do them a grave disservice if we think that they are. As I said before, buyer beware, common sense and yes, mutual trust, go a long way to making life more pleasant for all concerned.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 12th, 2024 at 22:09.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote