Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

System Software updates - is dealership running a scam?

Views : 2910

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2021, 22:11   #1
Twilight2017XC90

Exclamation System Software updates - is dealership running a scam?

Is there a way to find out if the dealership has updated the car's system software while servicing the car?

Real scenario:
The car was with a Volvo dealership for its annual full service. Picked up the car after the service, driving halfway through to my home 'a new download available' message appeared showing a map update for version 1326 is available (see attached) and it's too big to download. I recalled this version of map was made available by Volvo a few months ago and has checked the latest version update is 1356.

The question is not about the map version number, it's something bigger, mandatory system software updates.

Info:
The infotainment system display the last update to applications is 13 Sep 2020 (see attached image) which I believe it tells about the installed applications and not about the software updates as listed in the below link.

Volvo UK website page showing software update releases for cars' System until Oct 2021 (I choose xc90, 2017, appreciate not all System updates are applicable for the above model) https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...s/xc90/2016w46

I asked the dealer's Service Manager, if the car has gone through the mandatory system software update why the map version has not been updated? Their reply is "Maps / Nav isn’t part of the service software update". The dealership reply sounds daft as my understanding about any software update is completely different.

Am I correct in my assumption that when a Volvo dealer does the mandatory software update, it will download the most recent version of the maps automatically as part of the big UI updates which Volvo keeps on pushing throughout the year (see the above link) and unlike maps, it's something a customer can't update through a USB.

I doubt if the dealership has carried out the system software update at all. Volvo or Dealership can't strike out one feature as its a wholesome software update process. The whole point of going to Volvo dealer is to recieve full system updates as any next door garage can change the engine oil and filters etc.

Que:
how can a Volvo customer find out if the dealer has done the mandatory system software update?

Will appreciate your knowledge/experience/guidance on this topic. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211020-214929.jpg (183.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20211020-215019.jpg (137.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Twilight2017XC90; Oct 21st, 2021 at 00:29.
Twilight2017XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 22:22   #2
Tresco85

The dealer will not update the maps that is down to the customer.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 22:36   #3
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Not directly related to Volvo, but I can remember that when I owned a BMW, and software updates were performed by the dealer, you could request a printout listing every electronic unit in the car, with its software/firmware versions. So you could see if it had been updated or not.

This was great additional information to have – but you had to request it. It may also come down to the fact that most BMW software updates are customer chargeable, unless they are applied to fix a reported fault.

I must admit that it’s annoying that Volvo don’t offer this kind of printout and that Volvo also don’t give the customer documented details of warranty repairs including a list of any replaced parts. Surely as the vehicle owner, I should be able to keep a detailed record of these things myself.
Old Oct 20th, 2021, 23:41   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight2017XC90 View Post
Is there a way to find out if the dealership has updated the car's system software while servicing the car?

Real scenario:
The car was with a Volvo dealership for its annual full service. Picked up the car after the service, driving halfway through to my home 'a new download available' message appeared showing a map update for version 1326 is available (see attached) and it's too big to download. I recalled this version of map was made available by Volvo a few months ago and has checked the latest version update is 1356. The question is not about the map version number, it's something bigger, System software updates.

Info:
The infotainment system display the last update to applications is 13 Sep 2020 (see attached image) which I believe it tells about the installed applications and not about the software updates as listed in the below link.

Volvo UK website page showing software update releases for cars' System until Oct 2021 (I choose xc90, 2017, appreciate not all System updates are applicable for the above model) https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...s/xc90/2016w46

My search:
I rang Volvo support and their approach is bit questionable, why, because Volvo Support will email the dealership with my query and then forward their reply to me. They don't know how a customer can find what was updated on the recent service. Between the translation I read that Volvo customer support will believe the dealership version of the story.

I asked the dealer's Service Manager directly, why if the cars software was updated during its full service, the maps still showing an old version from months ago. Their reply is "Maps / Nav isn’t part of the service software update". The dealership reply sounds daft to me as my understanding about any software update is completely different.

Am I correct in my assumption that when a Volvo dealer does the software update, it will download the most recent version of the maps automatically as part of the big UI updates which Volvo keeps on pushing throughout the year (see the above link) and it's something a customer can't update through a USB, for example updating a big map push using a USB in between the service periods.

I doubt if the dealership has carried out the system software update at all. Volvo or Dealership can't strike out one feature (eg maps update in this case) as its a wholesome software update process.

Assumptions:
Dealer may say bring your car and they will update and they may only update the maps version (USB thingy) whereas my real worry is if the car hasn't been gone through a full software update, it's missing on lot of improvements and may not have access to new functions - click the link above to see all the updates or in my case since 2020 or might be 2019, who knows.

The whole point of going to Volvo dealer to recieve full system updates as any next door garage can change the engine oil and filters etc. Since my car's last service in Oct 2020 until now, the car has done only 2k so I suspect if they have changed the engine oil and replaced any filters etc, all I got one heck of poor quality but expensive car wash. Who knows if they do it with other customers as well.

Que:
Map versions are not the correct way to find out the complete system software updates (yes it certainly tell a chapter of the story but not the whole epic).

how can a Volvo customer find out if the dealer has done the software update?

Will appreciate your knowledge/experience/guidance on this topic. Thanks
The map updates are the owner's responsibility , the car is tied up somewhere for an hour to load the maps , that is not part of the service .
It WILL have had the total software upgrade which is one software package unique to your particular car which updates all the modules which need updating ...This is a Mandatory part of the Volvo service...
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 00:06   #5
Twilight2017XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
The dealer will not update the maps that is down to the customer.
On my cars first service in 2018, the dealer didn't update the system updates, I sent the car back and asked them to update the system software and it came back fully updated and I was able to see the safety check list in the driver console soon you start the engine - the feature wasn't available when I bought my car in Apr 2017 and when I saw if the first time I was bit panicked if this is the normal behaviour because I didn't see the feature before.

Similarly, on the next service the car came back fully updated including maps.

I'm not bothered about the maps, that's something a customer can download using a USB. My worry is that the dealer didn't update the system software which a customer can't do on their own and maps gets updated automatically when they update the whole system, it's a wholesome process. Map version is an indicator that the dealer didn't do the job right, dishonesty, as there is no way (what I know so far) to find out what has been updated or even if the mandatory upgrade has ever been done as they didn't do the mandatory update during the first service.

Last edited by Twilight2017XC90; Oct 21st, 2021 at 00:14.
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 08:55   #6
Mad Malc

As previously stated the maps will NOT be updated at a service so you can not read anything into the fact that it has not been updated.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 09:45   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

The updates available refer to the maps and other apps you have on your Sensus screen such as weather, spotify, etc, which are the owners choice to update or not, (I only update voice and maps as I never use any of the others) the "updates available message" has nothing to do with the service updates the dealer performs. You are not being ripped off.

Older cars have very few dealer service software updates available, my car is 5 years old now and probably will not have or need a software update at its next service. As the car gets older it seems to get less and less available.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...s/xc90/2016w46
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 21st, 2021 at 09:50.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:26   #8
GlenEagles

I find the best way to check for the software update having been performed is to check on the Volvo listing of updates
( link shown on previous posts)
Last service it was changes to auto wiper setting being retained
My next service will have a change to the seat belt audio reminder
If I see that then I know the update was performed
What I am not so keen on is the inability to see the oil at the end of a dipstick. How do you know that was changed ?
GlenEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:34   #9
Twilight2017XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Not directly related to Volvo, but I can remember that when I owned a BMW, and software updates were performed by the dealer, you could request a printout listing every electronic unit in the car, with its software/firmware versions. So you could see if it had been updated or not.

This was great additional information to have – but you had to request it. It may also come down to the fact that most BMW software updates are customer chargeable, unless they are applied to fix a reported fault.

I must admit that it’s annoying that Volvo don’t offer this kind of printout and that Volvo also don’t give the customer documented details of warranty repairs including a list of any replaced parts. Surely as the vehicle owner, I should be able to keep a detailed record of these things myself.
Volvo (or any car manufacturer) should display one line under the System Updates tab saying the car's system was updated on xyz date, it will add piece of mind for the customers and will build more trust.
It all erupts as on previous services, they always installed all updates including maps which gave me confidence and peace of mind that my vehicle is looked after and is up to date. I'll see if I can share this idea with volvo but not sure if the new android UI already doing this (as we can see in our phones when it was last updated).
Old Oct 21st, 2021, 10:38   #10
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenEagles View Post
I find the best way to check for the software update having been performed is to check on the Volvo listing of updates
( link shown on previous posts)
Last service it was changes to auto wiper setting being retained
My next service will have a change to the seat belt audio reminder
If I see that then I know the update was performed
What I am not so keen on is the inability to see the oil at the end of a dipstick. How do you know that was changed ?
Last service I left my dash cam connected (I was going to take it out but forgot and they didn't complain about it) so I saw them pour in the nice fresh oil.

Tags
navigation, sensus connect, sensus navigation, software update, software upgrade